Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Headset.

Options
  • 17-09-2012 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering. Does anyone use the Tritton Detonator headset? I'm looking into getting a new headset for around €60. Reason being well I... ehm.... "accidentally" broke my x11's. I never really liked them that much either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I was just wondering. Does anyone use the Tritton Detonator headset? I'm looking into getting a new headset for around €60. Reason being well I... ehm.... "accidentally" broke my x11's. I never really liked them that much either way.

I have ordered the astro a 50 headset as astro headsets are the dogs!!! Sell a kidney and buy Astros or regret it!!!

Have a lot of experience re headsets and believe me if u can't spend 350 on Astros fair enough but stay away from tritton as they make terrible headsets try turtle beach x41s or deltas!!! Little bit more expensive but hey you get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I have ordered the astro a 50 headset as astro headsets are the dogs!!! Sell a kidney and buy Astros or regret it!!!

Have a lot of experience re headsets and believe me if u can't spend 350 on Astros fair enough but stay away from tritton as they make terrible headsets try turtle beach x41s or deltas!!! Little bit more expensive but hey you get what you pay for.

I have a max of about €80. I really can't justify paying more than that. I should also mention I'm playing on a pc monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I have a set, love them !!!!! Haven't used the expensive higher end TB's that our posh pal Dark-Knight has so really can't say if those are worth a kidney :p

But in the 60 - 80 price range I've used a few Trittons and Turtle Beach ones and really found little or no difference on sound quality. TB's have an edge regards the mic to be honest, but the reason I favored the Trittons was I found them a better build quality and much more comfortable to wear for long periods. Which was a big factor for me.

One niggle with them is I sit in a pc chair when playing so have the volume control on my lap rather than let it hang down and sometimes if I move the volume dials can rub off my clothing and levels change, but thats par for the course with wired sets, Also the cable that connects the controller to the head set is like the old headset connector on the basic MS headset so can't be used with a chatpad connected I had to get another cable, which was a little annoying.

calex71 wrote: »
    I have a set, love them !!!!! Haven't used the expensive higher end TB's that our posh pal Dark-Knight has so really can't say if those are worth a kidney :p

But in the 60 - 80 price range I've used a few Trittons and Turtle Beach ones and really found little or no difference on sound quality. TB's have an edge regards the mic to be honest, but the reason I favored the Trittons was I found them a better build quality and much more comfortable to wear for long periods. Which was a big factor for me.

One niggle with them is I sit in a pc chair when playing so have the volume control on my lap rather than let it hang down and sometimes if I move the volume dials can rub off my clothing and levels change, but thats par for the course with wired sets, Also the cable that connects the controller to the head set is like the old headset connector on the basic MS headset so can't be used with a chatpad connected I had to get another cable, which was a little annoying.

Cheers mate. I'm no Audiophile so I'm not really that bothered as long as they sound better than normal speakers. I heard a few problems with the mic on them. How has the mic been for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Cheers mate. I'm no Audiophile so I'm not really that bothered as long as they sound better than normal speakers. I heard a few problems with the mic on them. How has the mic been for you?

I get echo from time to time, as in I hear my own voice back. I tested it between the two xboxs in the house here and had no issue with it what so ever, and only get it occasionally but when I do it's annoying.

Only thing I could put it down to was the quality of the connection to other people :confused:

Also very occasionally I have complaints re: the quality of the voice output of the mic, in that it sounds robotic. Again tested here between 2 xboxs and no issue.

The other thing I had was a low hum/buzz when the mic was connected but I had that on the X11's too. Sorted in both instances by changing the USB port form front to back or from back to front port.

As I said my main reason for using them is comfort, the mic issues I can live with as I don't play multiplayer games that often but if it's something you will be using quite a bit then the TB's are better regards the mic. Never had issue with them in that respect.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    I get echo from time to time, as in I hear my own voice back. I tested it between the two xboxs in the house here and had no issue with it what so ever, and only get it occasionally but when I do it's annoying.

Only thing I could put it down to was the quality of the connection to other people :confused:

Also very occasionally I have complaints re: the quality of the voice output of the mic, in that it sounds robotic. Again tested here between 2 xboxs and no issue.

The other thing I had was a low hum/buzz when the mic was connected but I had that on the X11's too. Sorted in both instances by changing the USB port form front to back or from back to front port.

As I said my main reason for using them is comfort, the mic issues I can live with as I don't play multiplayer games that often but if it's something you will be using quite a bit then the TB's are better regards the mic. Never had issue with them in that respect.

Cool I'll pick a set up soon so. I play mostly online with friends so if I find it that bad I'll make up something and return them. I would go for x11's again but as you said they really aren't very comfortable and I had some pretty awful experiences with mine. My in game audio would just jump around without being touched. Nearly deafened me a few times haha.

Advertisement