Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardaí: Do ye feel respected?

• 17-09-2012 12:10am

As a photographer, and as someone with a strong interest in the emergency (and voluntary) services as a whole, I've found myself in the presence of Gardaí quite a bit over the years.

I've noticed that there's a serious hatred for them amongst a lot of people (usually scumbag teenagers, to be fair) and then at other times I've noticed a lot warmth shown to them (passers by being upbeat and happy with "How'aya Garda" greetings and smiles, etc.).

The Gardaí obviously have a varied set of tasks and therefore are dealing with the public (helping or hindering) in different ways all of the time. This obviously means that the same individual person can have differing feelings towards the Gardaí on different days of the week (Joe Soap might love you for getting rid of the knackers making noise outside his house all the time, but he'll not be your friend when you ticket him for speeding, for example).

So I wondering, as part of your everyday life, when you don your uniform and head out into the public, do you feel respected?

And I suppose, to make the thread more relative (as I'd imagine that a minority of members on this forum are actual Gardaí), as a citizen, do you respect the Gardaí?

I can only speak for myself, of course, and as I say above, I have a strong interest in the services, so I think it kind of goes hand-in-hand that I'd have a lot of respect for the Gardaí.

In saying that, I don't have a childlike respect for them, that's completely unfounded. My respect for them has been built up over many years of positive interaction with them, and having only really ever had one or two negative experiences (which, though I remember, were very minor).

I've found that all Gardaí (that I personally have interacted with) are sensible, decent people. I think I may have said this on here before, but I find this great, especially considering what they have to put up with daily, how easy it would be for them to completely sour to the general public, yet they (generally) seem to be quite receptive and welcoming to most.

Just curious to other people's thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

, as a citizen, do you respect the Gardaí?

I can only speak for myself, of course, and as I say above, I have a strong interest in the services, so I think it kind of goes hand-in-hand that I'd have a lot of respect for the Gardaí.

In saying that, I don't have a childlike respect for them, that's completely unfounded. My respect for them has been built up over many years of positive interaction with them

I guess like you said above, it depends on your own personal experiences. Mine have been mostly negative, so I wouldn't have a lot of respect for them. But I'm sure a lot of people have good experiences with them, and will therefore respect them. Guess it depends on the quality and civility of your local gardai and the situations in which you've found yourself, like in many walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Gardai serve the public and any person or authority that serves the public usually get negative responses from the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I used always say hi to guards when I passed them, particularly at night, but having got no response from practically all of them I gave up. There are good guards and bad guards, like in all professions, its just we always seem to meet the bad ones most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

This could be an interesting thread.

I generally have alot of respect for Guards, mainly from that being instilled in me during my youth. Luckily, I haven't needed to interact with them much, and apart from the usual checkpoints and stuff, which are always OK, I've been stopped four times over the past 20 years that I've been driving. Three times, I genuinely had done nothing wrong, and I was left with a very bad impression of the Guard, but I have always put this down to the individual rather than the institution.

Twice I "turned away from a checkpoint", and a biker came up to me. The fact that the checkpoint was on my road and and I turned into my house was lost on the Guard both times, and they just kept asking why I turned in before reaching the checkpoint. Even though I had my garage door open and invited them into the house for a cup of tea to prove it was mine. Stupid attitude from the (different) Guard on both occasions.

Another time I was pulled at night for "driving with no lights". My dipped heads were on all the time. The (uniformed) Guard got out of the unmarked car, walked to the front of mine and as he passed me (I had rolled the window down) said in a very aggresive manner "get out of the car". I got out and walked to the front. He asked why I had no lights on. I looked at them and back to him. He said "back there". I said they were on. He said "no they weren't", and then "have you got your licence ?" I told him I had and took it out of my wallet. He was genuinely disappointed !!! He didn't look at it, didn't check tax or insurance discs, just turned around and walked away. I couldn't believe it. Absolute prick.

Last and most recent was a couple of years ago. Was collecting the wife from a job party late at night, and ended up taking some of her mates home. Came up to lights with a green right filter. Just before I got to them it went amber. Made a quick decision and continued on. As I started the turn, the filter was red. I thought crap, looked in the mirror as I completed the turn and thought to myself "at least the guy behind was later than me". Then the guy behind turned on the blues. I pulled over and they pulled up alongside me. Again, uniforms in an unmarked car. The driver did all the talking. Started off with "that was ****ing stupid". I agreed. He then asked a few questions which were obviously just to get me talking to see if I had been drinking, and then said "learn from this, and don't do it again, it's not worth the few minutes you save. Now go on". I couldn't believe it. I was fully expecting and wouldn't have complained about points and a fine. It's something I have never done again. Slightest hint of amber and I'm on the brakes.

My dad had quite a few friends who were in the Guards, including an Inspector and a Super back in the 70's, so I was quite used to seeing the uniform around the house when I was a kid, and it doesn't intimidate me. However, from the above, it's the individual wearing it rather than the institution who can be scary. One of the things my dad hated, and something I have never done to my kids is the whole "don't be bold or I'll call the policeman" thing. I've always taught my kids, from a very early age that if they are ever lost or in trouble on the street, to talk to a Guard. They've never needed to, but I think they would see a Guard as someone to trust rather than to be afraid of. Hope they're never let down on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sky

I have no respect for the gardai, I live in a bad area and am usually seen as a scumbag just because I live there, every time I go for a walk they all seem to slow down and throw me dirty looks or stop and search me aggressively under the suspicion of drugs and even though this happened to me I still had a bit of faith in the gardai but I lost what ever I had left for them when I was punched in the face by a garda in front of other gardai and they done nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think the younger generation of Guards are more approachable, some of the older ones years ago used to talk down to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

The majority of Gardai now particularly the newer recruits are scumbags themselves. For this reason I find it hard to respect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Something ive noticed is the reserves are very approachable and can have a bit more of a laugh. I always wonder is this due to inexperience? Sometimes if someone comes up to me and says hi and I dont say it back its only because im looking at the person thinking whose that?

Ive noticed alot of full timers have two sides to them though. There Garda side they need to show and what I like to call there human side which is great to see. Most guards are happy funny people with weird interests like all of us because they are human but the public see them as robots programmed to do one thing!

So far as respect goes you know whose going to respect you and whose not by there attitude towards you. Theres alot of decent folk out there but there normally not who the guards would be dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

You are always going to get good and bad. There is a lot of young guards around now. What i find more worrying is the incompetence of some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I don't respect the garda much. I'm not sure why, but I would respect the nypd more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Living very close to the border i saw a lot of them during the Troubles. In all that time I only had a difference of opinion on one occasion with a lad who was rude and too big for his boots. All the other dealings have been positive. Many people in this area would not have been able to run their businesses without their help as the robberies, "requests" for money and general mayhem would have prevented it if the Gardai had not been on hand.

I think people have disrespect for them as they don't really understand their job. They are usually the bearers of bad news through traffic accident deaths, suicides, summonses etc. They don't get to tell anyone that they won the lotto, are invited to parties etc. It's only bad news and someone has to do that kind of job too. I don't think i'd be any good at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Sky wrote: »
    I have no respect for the gardai, I live in a bad area and am usually seen as a scumbag just because I live there, every time I go for a walk they all seem to slow down and throw me dirty looks or stop and search me aggressively under the suspicion of drugs and even though this happened to me I still had a bit of faith in the gardai but I lost what ever I had left for them when I was punched in the face by a garda in front of other gardai and they done nothing!

You are to them; Work !! Just treat a few lads from bad areas like ****e and ye will return the feeling, Perfect for when a Garda wants a reaction and can then make an arrest.. The asshole types always treat people according to their social class.

I find most Guards to be sound enough, If you don't bother the sound ones they won't bother you, In fairness if you commit an offence its his/her job to respond to it so you can only blame yourself, As to my previous comment though I have to say they are some Guards who just want to provoke people and they give the rest of them a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

trodsky wrote: »
    The majority of Gardai now particularly the newer recruits are scumbags themselves. For this reason I find it hard to respect them.

Some of the older clique are absolute brutes, At least most of the young ones have some sense of the real world around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

What I have noticed is that Gardai are people. This will come as a shock to some, but as people they are varied in their personalities and attitudes.

I have the utmost respect for anyone who has to deal with the results of a car crash, domestic brawl, search for a missing child. I can imagine the day could be very long for a Garda by the time he stops me for having a blown bulb - it doesn't excuse impatience on his part but makes it understandable.

I have only ever had satisfactory dealings with Gardai. I find that by not drawing attention to myself by, for example, wandering through housing estates late at night with a hood up, driving up and down the same stretch of road in a car with noisy exhaust, they don't find me interesting.

I wonder about people who have a poor experience and who are stopped often, what they are doing to attract the attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Passing person

There are good and bad. There are good that got shouted at by the skipper that morning for 'wasting time' helping little old ladies across the road, there are good who have drowned under the paperwork over the years. There are those that kick a syringe closer to the edge of a footpath & walk on.

A Commissioner or someone said they were losing 300 cars a year, but professionalism starts with turning up in time.

GRA, 2010 - " One source added : "They're taking cars from smaller, rural stations and moving them into bigger towns across the county, but it's going to come to the day when we'll have no patrol car to go out in to respond to a call. It will be too late then".

Rank and file gardai, he said, didn't blame management for the problem as they were trying to do their best with dwindling resources, but laid the blame on Justice Minister Dermot Ahern. "

Limerick - grave stones knocked over in July, no news has reached me that the kids on the CCTV have been identified or any action taken.

Paris - thugs damage bikes, cops went out & arrested them.

Numbers post Feb package? " leaving the current strength of the Garda at 13,601 by the end of February compared to 14,377 at the start of 2011."

When did you last see one of them run, not walk / walk quickly while NOT on patrol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

I do and I don't have respect for them.. I do at times because a few of my good mates are Guards. But some of their garda mates are tossers and think that because they are guards they can get away with anything..

I had a bad experience with the Gardai years ago and from then onwards I had a certain dislike to them.. I was only young and it was late one night, a few people were messing and jumping around on a street in my home town in the South West, the local guard wasn't on duty so a few other guards came to our town for a half hour just driving around making sure all was OK, and then suddenly 2 of them ran in the direction of me from about 40m away.

I was going to leg-it, but then I thought "sure I'm not doing anything wrong, they're not after me" and then BANG they jumped on me saying I was under arrest etc.. Everyone else on the street saw I did nothing wrong, even people that didn't know me, and everyone descended on the patrol car and started kicking and punching it, it was wrong to do but they obviously had too much drink on board and were pissed off at them.. Now ye might think this place sounds like a knacker hole, but quite the opposite infact, they just didn't like seeing someone get arrested especially for doing nothing!

Anyways off I went to the nearest (open) station about 10 miles away and I kept asking the Guard what I had done wrong and he said I was being cheeky to them and because I didn't go home! I told him I hadn't even been talking to him so how could I have been cheeky and also if I was being arrested for not going home why the hell was everyone on the street not arrested, he had no answer..

So while I was in the station at about 3:30am giving my details etc my friends arrived in a car to collect me, and off home I went, seemed like a pointless journey seen as they let me out again asap..

The next day I heard that the small local station in my town had been vandalised after I got arrested, it was a stupid thing they did, but they broke a few windows because they were pissed off at the Guards and they were drunk too..

Anyways a week later I got a summons for being arrested, I was mad but I had to accept it and move on.. But things got worse. Our own local Guard who wasn't on duty the night I got arrested called me into the station that same week, and he asked me who broke the windows in the station. I told him I didn't know who it was. He said I did know because I was with the crowd who did it. I then asked him roughly what time it happened on that night and he said between 3am and 4am. I then said "how could it have been me when I was in Garda custody at that time, check with the arresting officer". He then said if I didn't tell him who broke the windows, or if I didn't own up to doing it myself he would have no choice but to give me a 2nd summons for an earlier incident that summer when he told about 200 of us to go home one night after the pub, which I did do by the way. On that particular night, the pubs had just stopped serving, about 200 people from 5 or 6 pubs came out onto the street because the cops were in town, and the Guards got out of their car to tell everyone to go home, me included.

So anyways, I didn't tell him who did it, because at the time I didn't know. Even if I did I still wouldn't have told him, because I'm not doing his work for him the lazy bastard..

I got 2 summons for 2 court appearances, got fined €125 each time and got bound to the shagging peace, even though I did absolutely nothing!!

Them 2 cops will forever be LYING **** as far as I'm concerned..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Passing person

but sometimes it's the courts' fault, sometimes it's the prison service...

A 21-year-old man with 75 previous convictions was out on bail when he attacked one of two Polish mechanics who were murdered by another man with blows to the head from a screwdriver....

This little darling had the use of a legal team in the Supreme Court last July. My taxes paid for that... 2008 to date. I accept that Gardai possibly didn't want this 17-year old on the streets in 2008.

But life is rarely simple:

2 deceased Polish guys: " Professor Cassidy said several of both young men's organs were harvested for transplant. "

Bunratty shooting (50 previous convictions): " Robert was laid to rest on Thursday. His funeral was told that his organs had been donated to five patients awaiting transplants. "

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

Buck Fizz wrote: »
    I do and I don't have respect for them.. I do at times because a few of my good mates are Guards. But some of their garda mates are tossers and think that because they are guards they can get away with anything..

I had a bad experience with the Gardai years ago and from then onwards I had a certain dislike to them.. I was only young and it was late one night, a few people were messing and jumping around on a street in my home town in the South West, the local guard wasn't on duty so a few other guards came to our town for a half hour just driving around making sure all was OK, and then suddenly 2 of them ran in the direction of me from about 40m away.

I was going to leg-it, but then I thought "sure I'm not doing anything wrong, they're not after me" and then BANG they jumped on me saying I was under arrest etc.. Everyone else on the street saw I did nothing wrong, even people that didn't know me, and everyone descended on the patrol car and started kicking and punching it, it was wrong to do but they obviously had too much drink on board and were pissed off at them.. Now ye might think this place sounds like a knacker hole, but quite the opposite infact, they just didn't like seeing someone get arrested especially for doing nothing!

Anyways off I went to the nearest (open) station about 10 miles away and I kept asking the Guard what I had done wrong and he said I was being cheeky to them and because I didn't go home! I told him I hadn't even been talking to him so how could I have been cheeky and also if I was being arrested for not going home why the hell was everyone on the street not arrested, he had no answer..

So while I was in the station at about 3:30am giving my details etc my friends arrived in a car to collect me, and off home I went, seemed like a pointless journey seen as they let me out again asap..

The next day I heard that the small local station in my town had been vandalised after I got arrested, it was a stupid thing they did, but they broke a few windows because they were pissed off at the Guards and they were drunk too..

Anyways a week later I got a summons for being arrested, I was mad but I had to accept it and move on.. But things got worse. Our own local Guard who wasn't on duty the night I got arrested called me into the station that same week, and he asked me who broke the windows in the station. I told him I didn't know who it was. He said I did know because I was with the crowd who did it. I then asked him roughly what time it happened on that night and he said between 3am and 4am. I then said "how could it have been me when I was in Garda custody at that time, check with the arresting officer". He then said if I didn't tell him who broke the windows, or if I didn't own up to doing it myself he would have no choice but to give me a 2nd summons for an earlier incident that summer when he told about 200 of us to go home one night after the pub, which I did do by the way. On that particular night, the pubs had just stopped serving, about 200 people from 5 or 6 pubs came out onto the street because the cops were in town, and the Guards got out of their car to tell everyone to go home, me included.

So anyways, I didn't tell him who did it, because at the time I didn't know. Even if I did I still wouldn't have told him, because I'm not doing his work for him the lazy bastard..

I got 2 summons for 2 court appearances, got fined €125 each time and got bound to the shagging peace, even though I did absolutely nothing!!

Them 2 cops will forever be LYING **** as far as I'm concerned..

Dont think you would get a summons in the door a week after being arrested..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

0325422 wrote: »

True.. It was about 10 years ago, so when I was thinking back while writing the post it seemed like I got the summons in a week.. The incident happened late July, I think I got the summons in late mid to late September.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

Buck Fizz wrote: »
    0325422 wrote: »

True.. It was about 10 years ago, so when I was thinking back while writing the post it seemed like I got the summons in a week.. The incident happened late July, I think I got the summons in late mid to late September.

Fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

as a citizen, do you respect the Gardaí?

Yes, I respect them. They do a ****ty job that I wouldn't do if you paid me twice what they get. That in itself is worthy of respect.

However, the respect does not translate into confidence or trust. I've seen enough rudeness, incompetence and unprofessionalism from members that I don't trust them or feel confident in a Garda until I get to know them a bit better. That's very frustrating.

Some of it (at least the incompetence I've seen) I can only assume is due to lack of training but there's no excuse for unprofessionalism and there's certainly no excuse for rudeness when dealing with a non-scumbag* member of the public who's dealing with them on an administrative matter.

* As for the scumbags, it'd be nice to be nice to them but I live in Dublin city centre so I can certainly sympathise with anyone who finds it hard to be nice to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think it's down to the area we work in. City Gardai are not going to get as much respect as those in the country. It's extremely obvious where i work (in a city). 2 miles from the station and you are met with dirty looks and usually some form of verbal abuse or hand gesture. Go another 2 miles out towards the country and you're invited in for tea.

I personally try to deal with everyone as i would like to be dealt with myself. I won't hold a grudge against someone unless they have assaulted me. I'm always up for posing for pictures, and from my experience people love to see the Gardai inspecting pubs and stopping for photos. The majority of people i deal with are satisfied with the way i deal with them, and certain undesirables have called me "the soundest Garda in x". I get respect from them in return for respecting them. Still do my job though. But the same people have little to no respect for certain other members, due to the way that member dealt with them. Understandable.

Then, when i was in country stations it's a completely different experience. The high majority of people, undesirables included, have respect for the Gardai. It's like a different world. But again, that's down to the Garda involved. Country Gardai require help from the local community a lot more than city Gardai, so they have to be nicer if they want to further investigations. City Gardai don't get the same time to get to know the people in the community and as such are at a disadvantage.

I feel the Gardai deserve more respect, but certain members are having a negative impact on all the positive experiences i try and give. And this will always be the case, unfortunately.

Prior to joining, any experiences i've had with the Gardai have been positive, but i lived in the country.

Also, thread needs a poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I think it's down to the area we work in. City Gardai are not going to get as much respect as those in the country. It's extremely obvious where i work (in a city). 2 miles from the station and you are met with dirty looks and usually some form of verbal abuse or hand gesture. Go another 2 miles out towards the country and you're invited in for tea.

I personally try to deal with everyone as i would like to be dealt with myself. I won't hold a grudge against someone unless they have assaulted me. I'm always up for posing for pictures, and from my experience people love to see the Gardai inspecting pubs and stopping for photos. The majority of people i deal with are satisfied with the way i deal with them, and certain undesirables have called me "the soundest Garda in x". I get respect from them in return for respecting them. Still do my job though. But the same people have little to no respect for certain other members, due to the way that member dealt with them. Understandable.

Then, when i was in country stations it's a completely different experience. The high majority of people, undesirables included, have respect for the Gardai. It's like a different world. But again, that's down to the Garda involved. Country Gardai require help from the local community a lot more than city Gardai, so they have to be nicer if they want to further investigations. City Gardai don't get the same time to get to know the people in the community and as such are at a disadvantage.

I feel the Gardai deserve more respect, but certain members are having a negative impact on all the positive experiences i try and give. And this will always be the case, unfortunately.

Prior to joining, any experiences i've had with the Gardai have been positive, but i lived in the country.

Also, thread needs a poll.

Agree with this post. Having lived an equal amount of time in a large town compared to a country town the difference is amazing. In saying that the Gaurds i dealt with in the Large urban area where mostly pricks with a heavy handed attitude, quite the opposite the fair and sound Gaurds in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

I think the younger generation of Guards are more approachable, some of the older ones years ago used to talk down to people.

The younger ones are more approachable because they know their role in society. Whatever they taught the older generation in Templemore, they came out thinking they were doctors!
    I know one or two retired guards that still think they are better than everyone else. You were a guard for gods sake.

I got stopped by a Garda in his late 20s last year. Had a few pints in me after a festival. He knew it too. Told me to go on. If that was one of the aul ****ers I'd be off the road now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Respect? Where I work I'd be happy if they did not try to kill us so often.

Personally I don't see why someone should be respected just for wearing the uniform. Nor do I think they should be judged based on that alone either. Anyone who judges a whole organisation based on a few interactions with individuals is not worth much in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

trodsky wrote: »
    I got stopped by a Garda in his late 20s last year. Had a few pints in me after a festival. He knew it too. Told me to go on. If that was one of the aul ****ers I'd be off the road now.

You should have been put off the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s033MjVR7o&feature=relmfu

MagicSean wrote: »
    Personally I don't see why someone should be respected just for wearing the uniform. Nor do I think they should be judged based on that alone either. Anyone who judges a whole organisation based on a few interactions with individuals is not worth much in my view.

Out of curiousity, how else would you prefer people built up an opinion of an organisation?

Surely personal experience and interaction is the best way to gather an opinion on a service? Much better than "a friend of a friend once told me..." surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

I'm not a Guard but I guess you could sum up the thread by saying that people respect the Guards for dealing with the nasty stuff (deaths etc) and nasty people (junkies etc) but they don't like the Guards when the Guards deal with them (usually traffic/public drunkedness).

I suspect part of the problem may lie in the way Guards are trained. They're probably trained to dominate (or take control of) any situation they become involved with (verbally first, physically second). Since the Guards mostly deal with 'bad' people, they're quick to roll out the domination tatics. After awhile, they realise 'Hello, Sir' doesn't cut it so they forget about that and start with 'Stop! wtf are you doing!!'

The 'bad' guys are used to this but us 'nice' guys are freaked out by it when someone 'dominates' us in this way.

Like most of the other posters, I get annoyed for being pulled when going through an (cough) 'orange' light but, then again, I've never seen the aftermath of a car crash. Or had to knock on their parents' door at 3am...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I've had very little run in's with the Guards over my life, but the few times i've had i've always found that being polite and not giving the guards any sh1t will work wonders. Treat them with the respect that they (think they) deserve, say "yes guard" "no guard", and never give them a reason to pull you up on anything. Even if they are in the wrong continue to be polite, dont raise your voice and be submissive. At the end of the day they are the ones with the power.

In saying that, i've ton's of respect for the Guards, they do a thankless job, and have to deal with the darkest side of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

I have little confidence in the organisation and that's based on professional experience (I work in the legal profession), respect I give on an individual basis but that can be quickly lost and that goes for anybody regardless of what job they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

McCrack wrote: »
    I have little confidence in the organisation and that's based on professional experience (I work in the legal profession), respect I give on an individual basis but that can be quickly lost and that goes for anybody regardless of what job they do.

That's exactly how I feel about the legal profession too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Just this week, I had direct experience in dealing with members of AGS. In the first experience, my wife asked a Garda for assistance, but she got shouted at rudely, this while she broke no law.
    This incident was followed up by a visit to the local station for a word to his Sergeant, at least this officer resumed her respect for the organisation.

Later that same day, we both experienced two absolute gentlemen of Gardai, something that in general we expect, as I suppose we were reared to respect the law and those that enforce it.
    But having experienced that ignorant man earlier in the day, it just goes to prove, big organisations have bad eggs.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    At the end of the day they are the ones with the power.

Im taking you up on this. What does this statement mean to you? Im just interested what you mean by this.

I feel respect is earned. Ive seen guards respected by the local "troublemakers" and ive seen the guards who they just dont cooperate with at all. Mostly though any decent person will be respectful to a guard and its always the first two minutes you know if this person is going to respect you or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Im taking you up on this. What does this statement mean to you? Im just interested what you mean by this.

I feel respect is earned. Ive seen guards respected by the local "troublemakers" and ive seen the guards who they just dont cooperate with at all. Mostly though any decent person will be respectful to a guard and its always the first two minutes you know if this person is going to respect you or not.

What it means to me is that if they choose too, any guard can make my life hell. They have the power of arrest after all and I really dont want to give any of them a reason to arrest me.

I would disagree.

As long as you commit no crimes a Garda cannot legally arrest you or make your life hell. I find most people who have an issue with police its because they are doing something they should not be under law.

Most people go there whole life with minimal dealings with Police.

Which is really the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

mitosis wrote: »
    What I have noticed is that Gardai are people. This will come as a shock to some, but as people they are varied in their personalities and attitudes.

Aye. Some of them are awesome, kind, salt of the earth types. Some of them are corrupt, malicious or just thugs in uniform. The majority of them are just folk doing their jobs with varying degrees of success and intentions and having good and bad days. This is true the world over, and of all people in any line of work. I can't hate gards as a rule, I haven't met all of them. I can't automatically respect them all because I've met a few total ****. I don't automatically respect or disrespect gards at all.

I just judge them on a case-by-case basis rather than tar them all with the same brush, like I do with every other person I meet.

^Almost all of us break the law on an occasional basis, whether it's a bit of weed or wandering home drunk and singing or not promptly paying a tax or going through an amber light when it's late and the roads are empty. You'd have an issue with it if you were treated roughly, arrested and brought to court for a relatively minor offence when you could have gotten off with a caution. It's not like the only people who have a problem with police are drug dealers, thieves and murderers and it's a bit holier-than-thou to imply as much.

Zambia wrote: »
    I would disagree.

As long as you commit no crimes a Garda cannot legally arrest you or make your life hell. I find most people who have an issue with police its because they are doing something they should not be under law.

Thats exactly what I was thinking myself. Normally its the most innocent that are scared when they have dealings with gardai in my experience. I used to be myself before I became a reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭bill buchanan

I find most people who have an issue with police its because they are doing something they should not be under law.

Maybe most people. Who knows. But a lot of people, especially in less affluent urban areas, have been harrassed for no good reason and certainly have the perception that a lot of gardai don't care so much about their welfare. A lot of people would feel that the gardai are not so bothered when they are the victims of crime.

I think some good manners would go a long way (not saying that no gardai have good manners). Like when they're doing a stop and search of a randomer, they could be sound about it. Or when they come to your house to investigate a car theft (or even a bike theft :D ) they could at least act like they take it seriously.

A lot of bad press and bad feeling comes from perceptions and attitudes I reckon. People forgive doctors and nurses in A+E depts for long waits and poor service because they know they're overworked, but they mostly show a bit of compassion. Same with ambulance crews. People are generally complimentary about them because, even though it may take ages for them to get to you, they're generally sound.

I know I'm generalising. But i think part of the problem is attitude and manner, rather than understaffing (though I accept the two can go hand in hand to an extent). I think I read a few years ago (though I could be completely makiing it up) was that the biggest peeve the public have about gardai was rudeness.

Having said that, i guess less overworking leads to nicer staff. I remmeber being in NYC a few years ago and asking a cop for directions or something mundane. He started chatting to me about my accent and his ancestors from Ireland. he then calles his buddy over because we had relatives from the same kip in Roscommon. They chatted to me for ages. Told me the good bars, the good pizza places etc. I never had aa single other dealing with an American cop, but I left the country feeling they were the greatest guys in the world and feeling that I'd trust them with anything, regardless of the reality. Whereas in ireland I'd only call the police for a major crime.

On the other hand, I know the public can be difficult to deal with. But we all have a job to do and I think we shoudl all try and be nice to those we come accross in our line of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I would disagree.

Not technically true. People are often legally arrested not because they committed a crime, but because they are suspected of having done so. Ergo, innocent people are often arrested.

Not technically true. People are often legally arrested not because they committed a crime, but because they are suspected of having done so. Ergo, innocent people are often arrested.

Actually you have a valid point you can be arrested but as a general rule you wont be. Garda need to have a reasonable belief you have done something criminal worthy of an arrest

Example A borrows a car of B.

A is pulled over in B's cars due to it being stolen A had no idea.

A needs to assess his friends

• Advertisement

That's exactly how I feel about the legal profession too.

Yes but I would say the majority if not all of the Plaintiffs who used legal advisers in the 109 High Court cases taken against the state for Garda malpractice in 2011 would disagree with that.

I would disagree.

*cough mcbrearty* cough Shortt*

And they are the high profile ones, many more exist unfortunately that the general public do not hear about.

What part of legally is causing you problems there?

What part of legally is causing you problems there?

I was getting more at the making people's life hell bit you mentioned, as if police have never done such a thing to innocent or law-abiding people.

I also think it has been pointed out that police can arrest (legally of course) people suspected of committing offences which of course doesn't equate them actually committing the offences suspected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I would have respect for the Gardai if they started arresting the criminals in their own ranks instead of protecting and covering up for them.In most police forces corrupt members are detested only in An Garda Siochana are they seen as something to be shielded and looked after.They need to understand that the law applies to everyone not just members of the public.Although I can understand why any honest ones feel they cant act as they would be hounded out of the force if they did.There is a rottenness at the core of that organisation.

McCrack wrote: »
    I was getting more at the making people's life hell bit you mentioned, as if police have never done such a thing to innocent or law-abiding people.

I never said a Garda has never broken the law
    It would be illegal to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

I remember as gosling giving cheek to a Guard , he corrected me and brought me home to my Ma, Where my Ma thought me a lesson in manners. I still thank the Guard to this day because the people who were with me, who got away, turned out to be right scumbags while I, fearing the shame and embarrassment of getting dragged to me Ma by a 6'8, 16 Stone, Bogtrotter lured down from the mountains with meat, joined the organization as a yellow pack and became an officer myself, in a different force. Now I do the same thing with wayward youngsters but get told to "**** Off" by parents who had their sprogs for a giro at the end of the week. Things done changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

I find most people who have an issue with police its because they are doing something they should not be under law.

Our Customers. :rolleyes:

It would be illegal to do so

What point are you actually making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056763511

People wonder why some people hate the Garda. They wonder why people don’t respect the Garda.All I can say is that some garda and there supporters here making comments like the ones above in a public forum dont do there force any favors. How a Garda behaves in online forums and the words they choose can be amplified and magnified.

As much as some of these comments made by Garda are offensive, just the overall tone of some of then comments like this troubles me. Referring to shooting dead of a man in front of his children as

No loss to society/Well played, karma/His solictor and barristor as crying...(ridioulous post)/ swimming with sharks...

Just goes to show me that much of the hatred towards the Garda (and I witness lots of it from where I work)is due at least in part to the attitudes that comes from the Garda themselves,

What goes around comes around right.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement