Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burglar alarm keeping me awake.

• 17-09-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Burglar alarm in apartment across the hall is ringing and keeping me awake. Anything I can do to turn it off? No one seems to be in the apartment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This is a bit out there, but go with me...

Have you tried ringing the rozzers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

No, just no!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

El Weirdo wrote: »
    This is a bit out there, but go with me...

Have you tried ringing the rozzers?

What can the police do? There is no sign of a crime other than the alarm going off? Hardly go in breaking down doors over an alarm? It's a top floor apartment so it's not like a window was broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Thinly veiled "I've broken into an apartment and don't know how to turn burglar alarm off" thread.
    I'm on to you OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

V annoying .

Ring the emergency number firth mgmt company. They"ll do-nothing but as least you can annoy them & add something else to the long list of non-services you pay for. You could ask them to check it out on the grounds that it could be an internal ( private) firealarm... After all.. It mught be.

While you 're up you could check : for smoke :(
    I think new alarms have to cut off after20 mins :( so time it! Hsve a cup if something & if it goes on longer than that complain to both theneighbours & the mgmt co. -won't help you tonight but will in the long term :(

...sympathy :(

• Advertisement

Thinly veiled "I've broken into an apartment and don't know how to turn burglar off" thread.
    I'm on to you OP

I wish. That way I could just walk away. The apartment is locked no one seems to be at home, or else are sound sleepers. I an across the hall trying get some kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pogiefallon

its very hard to silence bone of them fu**ing things there is a few baterys and fuses that have to be removed need access to the place/control panel to do it call the cops and make a noise complaint they have to follow it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Call in a napalm strike.

On second thoughts you'd probably have the vote alarm to contend with then.

V annoying .

Ring the emergency number firth mgmt company. They"ll do-nothing but as least you can annoy them & add something else to the long list of non-services you pay for. You could ask them to check it out on the grounds that it could be an internal ( private) firealarm... After all.. It mught be.

While you 're up you could check : for smoke :(
    I think new alarms have to cut off after20 mins :( so time it! Hsve a cup if something & if it goes on longer than that complain to both theneighbours & the mgmt co. -won't help you tonight but will in the long term :(

...sympathy :(

Tried the mobile no answer left a voicemail and texts, no smoke from what I can see but the alarm is same as mine I reckon a burglar one is separate to the central smoke alarm. Going off over 20 mins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pogiefallon

if there's only a sounder (yoke making noise) going off get a hold of a good insulated wire cutters and cut it out

• Advertisement

if there's only a sounder (yoke making noise) going off get a hold of a good insulated wire cutters and cut it out

Have to break into the apartment then as its not mine and don't have access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Burglar alarm in apartment across the hall is ringing and keeping me awake. Anything I can do to turn it off? No one seems to be in the apartment.

There's not a lot the guards can do for you but try ringing them anyway and ask if the can check to see if the have contact details for whoever lives there. They might be able to inform them that the alarms going off and get it knocked of sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

What can the police do? There is no sign of a crime other than the alarm going off? Hardly go in breaking down doors over an alarm? It's a top floor apartment so it's not like a window was broken.

Unfortunately you're right. We had an alarm directly across from us go off for four days. There was no number on the bloody thing, so we, and also a lot of other people, rang the cops, but they did nothing. We had to wait for the people to come back from holiday.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+turn+of+a+burglar+alarm+if+your+NOT+robbing+the+house%2C+%20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

So what? It's not as if you have to worry about the burglar alarm going off, is it? And it appears that no one's going to call the cops either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

thriw some poops ar the front door :cool:

El Weirdo wrote: »
    So what? It's not as if you have to worry about the burglar alarm going off, is it? And it appears that no one's going to call the cops either.

Except the security camera looking at me breaking and entering.

An hour later it's off but sure I am wide awake now and hungry as well. Not sure how it turned off as no one has come in or out of the apartment.

An hour later it's off but sure I am wide awake now and hungry as well. Not sure how it turned off as no one has come in or out of the apartment.

It has to be house aids....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If its definitely a burglar alarm and not a heat/smoke alarm there's nothing you can do without breaking in yourself and hoping the code is written somewhere. If its a centralised alarm you can google how to turn it off.
    Actually if you're really stuck what about cutting power to his apartment? Worth a shot I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Earplugs.

Use them as an incendiary device for burning the wires in the alarm box.

Thanks all for the suggestions and the google demo. Alarm off so try get some sleep now. Did try the 24 hr shop for ear plugs and he said 3 people had in asking so I guess I wasn't only annoyed person. Defo buying some tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Where To wrote: »
    Earplugs.

Use them as an incendiary device for burning the wires in the alarm box.

€0.88 ....... including free shipping!

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/feather-weight-memory-foam-noise-isolation-in-ear-earplugs-pair-27317

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Do you know who the alarm company are? They might have an emergency call out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Where are your electricity meters? Are there master switches for each apartment?

Alarm sounders usually have batteries so can go on for a while after the power is cut but if the people responsible are on holiday, well.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ShiresV2 wrote: »
    Where are your electricity meters? Are there master switches for each apartment?

Alarm sounders usually have batteries so can go on for a while after the power is cut but if the people responsible are on holiday, well.. :)

usually when the mains is knocked off that sets off all sorts of alarms

Advertisement