Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change a note please? = buy something. Now change? buy again....

Options
  • 17-09-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, apparently I went into spar in city centre, I had 20 euro note, I needed it changed to: 10 eur, 5 eur, 5 eur. Well I needed 5 euro note solid. I came into Spar said can you change 20 euro note so I can get 5 euro note? Guy said :buy something, I grabbed a can of coke for 1 euro and he gave me:
    10 euro, 2,2,2,2,1. so no 5 euro note. When he gave me change I gave him tenner and said can you give me 2x 5 euro notes? he said buy something. I bought again and he gave me: 2, 2, 2, 2, 1. Now I had 4 coins of 2 EURO and 2 coins of 1 EURO.

Isn't that called being an asshole literally?
    Since then any time I walk into that shop that idiot gives me silly cash like in 20 cents, or 10 cents sum like 2 euro or 4.

Anything I can do?

I have a box of 1 cent coins at home, I thought what if I I get 500 1 cent coins once, go and buy a meteor credit for 5 euro. Give it to him, he isn't allowed to refuse can he? I mean it's still a money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Use a different shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭eug87

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, apparently I went into spar in city centre, I had 20 euro note, I needed it changed to: 10 eur, 5 eur, 5 eur. Well I needed 5 euro note solid. I came into Spar said can you change 20 euro note so I can get 5 euro note? Guy said :buy something, I grabbed a can of coke for 1 euro and he gave me:
    10 euro, 2,2,2,2,1. so no 5 euro note. When he gave me change I gave him tenner and said can you give me 2x 5 euro notes? he said buy something. I bought again and he gave me: 2, 2, 2, 2, 1. Now I had 4 coins of 2 EURO and 2 coins of 1 EURO.

Since then any time I walk into that shop that idiot gives me silly cash like in 20 cents, or 10 cents sum like 2 euro or 4.

Anything I can do?

I have a box of 1 cent coins at home, I thought what if I I get 500 1 cent coins once, go and buy a meteor credit for 5 euro. Give it to him, he isn't allowed to refuse can he? I mean it's still a money?

Fool me once shame on you,Fool me twice shame on me.
    Should of demanded your €20 back asked for the manager to complain about this Guy and walk out to never return.

Experienced the same crap in Town.Walk into a shop to ask for change for bus,then a reaction like you said the C word or something.
    Trick is, wait till someone else pays for something then the till is open for the shopkeeper to give u change.
    Little bit of point but services in shops(Centra's and Spars etc..)have gone to **** across the city center the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

legally, he doesnt have to do anything for you.

up to him to take the 1c coins or not.

dont bother,

call him a knob and use a different shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

legally, he doesnt have to do anything for you.

up to him to take the 1c coins or not.

dont bother,

call him a knob and use a different shop.

Cant I just ask for his manager so and say he refuses to accept money for goods I wish to buy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Cant I just ask for his manager so and say he refuses to accept money for goods I wish to buy?
    The manager will probably tell you to **** off if you try and pay with a jar of pennies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭omega666

Anything I can do?

Wtf, surely after the first time you would have been wise and watched what change he was giving you the second time. Then called him up on it when you saw he was only giving you coins??

omega666 wrote: »
    Wtf, surely after the first time you would have been wise and watched what change he was giving you the second time. Then called him up on it when you saw he was only giving you coins??

I did watch but even when I asked he said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

The shop has no obligation to accept the 1c coins and i think the shop also has no obligation to give change. the onus is on the customer to provide the correct change legally. in saying that, a shop that didn't give any change would not remain a shop for too long.

But ye that guy is a tool and just wants to watch the world burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭davetherave

Yes he can.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0038/sec0010.html
    No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Yes he can.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0038/sec0010.html
    No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.

Then buy something for 50c with 1c coins. Then immediately buy another item for 50c. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

But out of courtesy, and for your own safety, dont do this if there are people in a queue behind you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Then buy something for 50c with 1c coins. Then immediately buy another item for 50c. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

But out of courtesy, and for your own safety, dont do this if there are people in a queue behind you!

Seen some one try and put 6 bags of one and two cent coins into the only working self service till in tesco one day. Four people behind them waiting and they ended up breaking the machine. people can get really angry by being made to que up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Maybe he was just out of 5 euro notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Hey, apparently I went into spar in city centre,

What do you mean 'apparently I went into spar in city centre' ? Were you experiencing some kind of third person perspective disorder or something? :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Hey, apparently I went into spar in city centre,

either you do or didnt go into the shop - which is it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

irishbird wrote: »

Maybe the OP meant it in the sense of 'clearly' or 'obviously' i.e. in plain view of others. So apparently he didn't sneak in through a window in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This is quite funny. I also have to ask about your use of the word "apparently". Did you not remember being in the shop and instead perhaps pieced together the details from a receipt and a heavy pocket of change?

No

Anything I can do?

Unfortunately this won't work. The guy is an asshole (not literally) and deserves to be messed with. Maybe you could arrive 5 minutes before closing, ask him for a pack of Benson, then when he's about to give them to you, change your mind and say you want JP blue. Keep doing this as often as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

He still can refuse. These rules are only applying if you want to repay a debt.

I dont know I just got stuck with this word apparently, bad habit really, I start all talk and statuses on fb with:
    so apparently... bad habit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

irishbird wrote: »

Its more so they cant believe they walked into the shop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

On the second occasion you should have requested all the change in coins and he would probably have given you a few fivers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

slightly off topic but...

A shop or any other business are not obliged to carry out any transactions with anyone unless they want to.

By taking a product off a shelf and taking it to the checkout, you are by your conduct making an offer to buy the product, the 'offer' can be rejected or accepted by the owner of the product (the shop)

Contract Law - Invitation to treat

oh well guess no can do, law is on the side of shops anyways. I dont have anything against law or shops, but some workers in these are plain assholes, guess I cant do anything other than have a dog **** on their door step (if I knew where they live)

If you want change, go to a bank.

If you can't get to a bank, and use a shop instead, understand that the person behind the till is doing you a favour.

If you think a particular person in a shop has a vendetta about giving you weird change, use a different shop. I would suggest however that this person might just not have the authority to get change for their till at regular intervals, and that a sales assistant in a city center shop might have better things to do with their time than purposely give one particular customer (who apparently went into the shop and didn't do anything to provoke such behaviour).

Advertisement