Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foogy Helmets

• 17-09-2012 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Bought a Roof helmet a couple of weeks back. Unlike my old one the casing goes right underneath my chin, almost to my neck. So when I breathe the inside fogs up. Main problem is that I breath always through my mouth as I have difficulty breathing for long periods of time through the nose (slightly blocked septum). But even if I breathe through my nose it still fogs up slightly as the air goes downwards but then hits the casing and goes back up again onto the visor.

I like the helmet a lot but there are no vents on it so the air just circulates around. When I'm moving fast it is grand as there's a bit of airflow around it then but anything below 20kph sees it getting fogged up and I have to open the visor, something I don't want to have to constantly do.

Just wondering is there any kind of anti-fogging solution to rub on the inside of the visor that will stop this happening ? And do they work ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

There are loads of anti-fog sprays you can buy, incl. Muc-Off Anti-Fog, Bob Heath Anti-Fog (which is one of the better ones) and in Halfords you can get the Rain-X Anti Fog treatment which I use all the time. I find it really, really good. It's for car windscreens but does a really good job on the visors.

Windscreen_Anti-Fog_by_Rain-x_096.716.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

As above or actually buy a "FOGGY MASK" that goes into the helmet to stop the heat going near the visor at all. Should work fine for you but it is unusual to have a helmet with no vents whatsoever.

Cheap fix TBH and I have them in my 2 lids and work perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Can you get a pinlock insert for the visor? Basically makes your visor double glazed. The only solution to visor fogging that I find works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

There are loads of anti-fog sprays you can buy, incl. Muc-Off Anti-Fog, Bob Heath Anti-Fog (which is one of the better ones) and in Halfords you can get the Rain-X Anti Fog treatment which I use all the time. I find it really, really good. It's for car windscreens but does a really good job on the visors.

Windscreen_Anti-Fog_by_Rain-x_096.716.jpg

do you put the rain ex inside or outside the visor or both ???

Inside of course or am I missing something here? How can a visor fog up on the outside............:confused:

• Advertisement

Notch000 wrote: »
    do you put the rain ex inside or outside the visor or both ???

The Rain-X Anti Fog on the inside and the normal Rain-X on the outside.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Inside of course or am I missing something here? How can a visor fog up on the outside............:confused:

PMSL!

If the weather is foggy ;)

But seriously, did you ever drive through fog, get a coating of mist on your visor (outside), drive for miles thinking the fog was mad. Then wipe your visor and discover it's perfectly clear outside and you left the fog ages ago?
    No? Me neither :pac:

Best thing you can do for a visor fogging up is not wear one....WORKS 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Well if they ever actually release this NeverWet product, all such problems will be resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for the replies lads, will try that anti fog solution and hopefully get it resolved.

Its certainly a bit weird there are no vents on the lid, especially given they are far from cheap. But here's hoping I can get it sorted, otherwise it'll be back to the drawing board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

If you happen to be out and your visor won't stop fogging up, and you don't have that anti-fog with you, if you spit on your visor and rub it, it will do the job. Trick I picked up Scuba diving. Not the most pleasant, but like, better than not being able to see.

EDIT: You could also maybe drill some holes into the base of the visor if there are no vents in the helmet. That's what my dad used to do way back when he was racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

As said " Bob Heath" visor spray is prob the best.

In failing that, you will need to stump up a few quid for a helmet that takes a visor insert.

Try cleainging your visor with warm soapy water and pad try before aplying the spray. If the visor is all marked or scratched, replace it.

Would getting a thicker 3mm visor help this? Just wondering...as its thicker it would certainly take longer to heat up and fog?

Pipz wrote: »
    EDIT: You could also maybe drill some holes into the base of the visor if there are no vents in the helmet. That's what my dad used to do way back when he was racing.

Thats not the right way to go about it. You are compromising the integrity of the visor, i.e. it#s strenght.

Would getting a thicker 3mm visor help this? Just wondering...as its thicker it would certainly take longer to heat up and fog?

Manufacturers dont do different width spec visor sizes in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Be careful with whatever chemicals you put on your visor, because some visors have a factory coating on them to help against fogging up.
    The chemicals could react with the coating, and you could end up not being able to see through it.
    I learned through experience.

Banzai600 wrote: »
    Thats not the right way to go about it. You are compromising the integrity of the visor, i.e. it#s strenght.

Manufacturers dont do different width spec visor sizes in that respect.

I dont get you, Are you saying that all visors are the same thickness? Because they are not, was out with a lad on Sunday with a much thicker visor then myself 4mm I think it was. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Never have my visor down.. stops the fogging. Some midgys and red eyes from the wind but visors wreck me bulb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Never have my visor down.. stops the fogging. Some midgys and red eyes from the wind but visors wreck me bulb
    You mustn't have stones or bumblebees where you are.
    If I didn't use a visor I would wear safety glasses at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Blinkerz

One tip I learned while doing my cbt is to clean the inside of the visor with washing up liquid. Almost as good as the specialized products and a hell of a long cheaper.

He wears one eye patch and a monocle GERMAN STYLE.....and he sorted. :D

• Advertisement

I dont get you, Are you saying that all visors are the same thickness? Because they are not, was out with a lad on Sunday with a much thicker visor then myself 4mm I think it was. ;)

a visor say from an " arai" wont fit a "shoei" for example.

with those two amnufactuers, they dont build a visor thats 4 mm thick and one thats 6mm thick for the same helmet.

2 things every lid should have: Internal sun visor and a pinlock visor ;)

I find those anti fog liquids just sort of diffuse the condensation on the inside of the visor and it blurs your view. With a pinlock the condensation doesn't gather on the visor in the first place.

OR.....

Ppl should just spend the money on a decent helmet with a "pinlock" or buy a "Shark" without the pinlock.

Pay cheap - buy twice :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Banzai600 wrote: »
    OR.....

Ppl should just spend the money on a decent helmet with a "pinlock" or buy a "Shark" without the pinlock.

Pay cheap - buy twice :cool:

Shark helmets are sh1te...mostly because I couldn't find a single one to fit my head :pac:

Shark helmets are fantastic!! I have 3, never a problem with any of them. The thicker visor does help in fairness as does the many vents.

Love shark helmets too, great lid for the price. But I am not a fan of the internal sun shades or TOP GUN as I call them. The ones I tried on a few different lids did not do a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You mustn't have stones or bumblebees where you are.
    If I didn't use a visor I would wear safety glasses at least.

Got stung once or twice lol.

Shark helmets are sh1te...mostly because I couldn't find a single one to fit my head :pac:

I could say the same thing about shoei, they dont fit my nugget either ! :D

Yeah, I originally wanted a Shoei went all the way up to Crossans in Newry and came back with an Arai. Would not fit my crust either....WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Heading out in the wee hours in the morning. My visor usually fogs up easily enough at this time. Hopefully the anti-fog material on the inside of the visor will do its job. Cant believe Uvex are looking for 69 euro for a new visor. Is this the norm for visors, Why are the so expensive?

Advertisement