Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC Build Problems..

Options
  • 17-09-2012 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Ok so i finally got around to building my HTPC, haven't set it up yet and (don't have a working mouse or keyboard) and still have a bit more cable management but it's all in and it's powering on

the specs are
    Item|Price
    Intel Celeron G540 Box, LGA1155|€38.49
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€66.75
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€50.50
    ASRock B75M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€80.31
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€31.49
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€286.53

my problem is the noise... it's like a first gen Xbox 360.. and as far as i can see it's the PSU. Is there any way you can turn down the fan in on the PSU or could someone suggest a different PSU 300w or under that's quiet bearing in mind it's and SFX Power supply.. Also i'll prob end up adding an aftermarket CPU cooler so i need a very low profile one any suggstions

i'll prob be getting one soon... and using the other in a project of mine :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Hardwareversand sell SFX Bequiet PSUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

if you get a replacement SFX PSU, id love to hear how you get on. Im the only one in the house who's annoyed by fans it seems, but im tempted to get a prodigy/fanless PSU and just have a single 200mm fan in the entire rig. maybe sell on the elementQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I have a Bequiet SFX... I think it's the 350W version... it's quiet. Heatsink fan is noisier and that's down to level 1 in the Asrock configuration. The CPU fan doesn't interfere with my watching of tv when it reaches that level and the PSU certainly doesn't. You're probably fussier though TeaBag.
    Heatsink is this by the way -
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49143

Not that I'd recommend that heatsink, as it's just a little bit wide.

The only issue I had with the PSU is that it seems to be eating power even when the system is off, so I still need to get around to inspecting that.

I had an Element Q and found the PSU to be lousy, very noisy and put out a lot of electrical interference. Also if you mount a 3.5" drive in the vertical slot it rattles a lot. I sent mine back.

If you're not planning on putting any other components in there then i'd happily run that system off a suitably specced picoPSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

ok so i ended up after days of research ordering

be quiet SFX POWER 300W Small FF PSU

and to change the stock cooler as it touches the fan on the PSU i went for this

Gelid Solutions Slim Silence iPlus Low Profile Intel CPU Cooler

it's the same size roughly as the stock Intel cooler but 15mm lower so this will allow more space for airflow in the case and also it's gotten great reviews as being really quiet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I do like that little machine you built.
    Im looking to do something like that for the Girlfriend..
    that would be perfect for her needs..

Browsing,TV 3 player,facebook and all her girly needs.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

dwighet wrote: »
    I do like that little machine you built.
    Im looking to do something like that for the Girlfriend..
    that would be perfect for her needs..

Browsing,TV 3 player,facebook and all her girly needs.:cool:

I built this for my mother :D for pretty much the same reason..Netflix tv3 rte players ect.. I also have a substantial TV HD movie collection

Ya total cost for me when you include airmouse and silent parts is about 390 which is not too bad however I already have a 500GB 2.5" drive..

I have it got it set up yet..but when I do I'll let ya know how it performs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

U_Fig wrote: »
    I built this for my mother :D for pretty much the same reason..Netflix tv3 rte players ect.. I also have a substantial TV HD movie collection

Ya total cost for me when you include airmouse and silent parts is about 390 which is not too bad however I already have a 500GB 2.5" drive..

I have it got it set up yet..but when I do I'll let ya know how it performs

Please do...
    I have 1 tb of movies on an external drive and playing them through my gaming rig can be a bit noisy..

Advertisement