Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do your family all live in Ireland?

• 17-09-2012 2:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Just realising that my older brother and his wife are my only direct family in Ireland bar my sons.

My parents and younger brother have pretty much moved to Florida full time and my little sister lives in Scotland.

Are all Irish families destined to live splintered lives on various continents and use the internet to stay in touch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

All my immediate family live in Ireland.

Though my brother will be moving to Florida in the new year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

No. There were one or two of us away at different times over the last few years. At th moment my sister is 'out foreign' as old people say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

All of mine do, but I'll be moving to Germany for a year in 2 years. Purely for college, so I will be back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

my brother lives in cork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

My sister lives in Australia and has been there for a year and a half but will be coming home at Christmas. Although she's 16,000 km away, it's like she's never left and we talk all the time for ages.

Then my other sister lives about 30km away and I hear more from the Australian one than her! Sometimes the weeks would pass and I say to myself I'd better check in on this bitch to see if she's not dead or anything :confused:

In fairness OP I think from my experience it's the ones in Ireland you should be worried about keeping in touch with! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

my brother lives in cork...

Lucky boy.

My mam reckons Ireland will be 'OK in 2 or 3 years', so I'm fairly sure she's living on a different planet.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

My brother shacked up in Vancouver there, with some woman..

he's not coming back. Unless that falls through....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

My parents both still live in the family home in Ireland and my older brother lives in a place with his girlfriend in Ireland too. My younger brother lives in China with his girlfriend and has been there about 2 years. I'm living in Australia and have done so for about 3 1/2 years. Its though with two of us so far away.

My Granddad passed away about 2 weeks ago and I didn't find out until the funeral was over. My parents didn't want me or my younger brother to be spending a "fortune" (their words) coming home for it which I think is the reason for us finding out so late. Was annoyed at that as I at least would have liked the choice but you cant really say anything after all it was my Mums idea and it was her dad that died. Cant very well have a go at her over not telling me sooner given how upset she is anyway.

Things like that make living so far away from Ireland difficult and with my little brother living in a country that has very different ideas of when you get holidays to both Ireland and Australia its difficult to get us all together at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Sister in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

One of my brothers lives in Switzerland. One of my brothers in on router to Aus right now, next week another brother is coming to NZ to stay with me for a while and try find work. Rest are all in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

No

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

A brother in OZ, one in the US and sister in England. Lat Christmas first time all family were together in 8 years and I'm the oldest aged 38.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Afraid so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Most of my family live abroad, but they all moved either through choice or from having their balls in a vice grips. Luckily enough, economic reasons had nothing to do with it.

It's still kinda sad though as all the kids don't get to see each other very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

My mum lives in Scotland and my dad lives in Canada. My brother is only a mile away from me. I have aunts, uncles and cousins all over the place though- Canada, The US, England, Australia and New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

My older brother lives in England and I have cousins in America but other than that, all live in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

One sister in Auckland, New Zealand.
    Other Siter in Sydney, Australia.
    Parents in Carlow / Torrevieja, Spain.
    I moved to Belfast 2 years ago.
    Uncle in Manhatten, NY.
    The rest in belgium.

why stay on one little corner of the planet? it's a big world out there, and it's yours to explore. Sure i miss my family from time to time, but it's much better knowing they're happy and they're where they weant to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

None of them do... that may well be one reason why I love being in Ireland so much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My parents live in rural France, as of May this year. Everyone else is still in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, they're all at home. Even on the second tier (cousins), the only outliers out of about twenty people are one in the UK and one in Thailand. Immediate family are all within 30 minutes of me, and no-one is likely to leave except for the odd 3-month work assignment.

We're not big travellers, there's not really any history of emigration on either side of my family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

All my immediate family live in Ireland, although half of us lived in England, Australia and the US at different times. Several of the kids are English born. But they're all back now and living in Dublin. In fact I'm the furthest away from home now, having emigrated to Galway. ;)

Quite a few cousins live in England including one branch which we simply cannot trace.

I imagine the next batch of emigration will start soon as the first of the kids are about to start college. I imagine the whole cycle of emigration will start again.

Great little counrty isn't it.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Nope, I'm in Essex, my younger brother is over in Canada having another bash at a soccer career. The youngest brother and the folks are still in the homestead. I've an uncle in Rhode Island and another in Thailand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Of my siblings and I, three of us are living in Ireland these days, four more are still abroad; UK, Canada, and two in Hong Kong. Only one was a post-crash emigration. I don't really miss any of them. With skype, it's easy to know everything they're getting up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

later12 wrote: »
    Of my siblings and I, three of us are living in Ireland these days, four more are still abroad; UK, Canada, and two in Hong Kong. Only one was a post-crash emigration. I don't really miss any of them. With skype, it's easy to know everything they're getting up to.

7 siblings?!?

All my immeadiate family live in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

close family do, extended family in scotland, australia and the states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

No. there all over the world.Only place I would move to is the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I have one brother who moved to Canada with his wife and kids at the start of the Summer. Purely because he couldn't get a decent job here but they are loving it there so it will very likely be a permanent move.

My 2 sisters and another brother still live in Dublin, as do the parents.

My husband has 8 siblings and none of them have gone abroad. The furthest is one living in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep, I'm the only one of my immediate family not living in Galway.

The extended family are scattered to the wind though: Various parts of Ireland, UK, Oz, New Zealand, Spain, Isle of Man, Jamaica...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm the only one here, but never mind. Germany is not that far away ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The entire family scattered decades ago. The wife's family moved back over the years, and now we are in the States. She still has family in England, Scotland, Canada, Alaska, Holland.

The notion of 'everyone coming home for the Celtic Tiger' is as dead as the Tiger itself. People continue to move to make better lives for themselves and their families.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nope, not since 1988 in fact.

My father and myself live here but my two older sisters live in Canada and Holland respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Parents at home in Dublin, a sister and brother in the US and another brother and sister in Ireland and myself here in Spain.

And I've a shed load of aunties, uncles and cousins in the States as well.

Over the years, my siblings have been back and forth between Ireland and abroad. I don't know one of my brothers at all now as he left when I was a kid and hasn't been back to live since. I find the whole thing quite sad but I'm used to it at this stage. Hopefully one day in the future when I've more money I can visit them more often and who knows, maybe we'll all decide to grow old and grey back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sister in England. Very rare anyway that we are all back in the family home together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Most of my family live in Ireland.

I on the contrary live in cloud-cuckoo land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just realising the main disadvantage to my family all being out of here (bar my brother who lives an hour away) am not well and may have to go to hospital this week and will have to get one of my friends to mind my youngest son coz no family around to do it. :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement