Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Business / Enterprise Board ?

Options
  • 17-09-2012 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

After years of ground work I am in the process of setting up a new company, I have done the research including spoken to a percentage of potential clients.

Now whats left is tying everything together, finding business premises and getting product to market. I know this business will work but kinda find myself snowed under. Recently I decided to talk to the enterprise board not because I am looking for backing but really I am at a loss finding resources like premises and understanding different processes from EU law to employment law, rates, barcoding, manufacturing standards and patents.

I was booked to see a freelance adviser which I saw within a fortnight however I came away kinda let down becasue the business adviser was not what I needed they were really only to advise on overall business structure not specifics.

I have owned and sold a successful company in the past so business structure is not required yet they are pushing me to go on paid courses including start my own business. I have the over all feeling that they have no interest my business but looking to me to fund them.

Has anyone ever had experience with them and what exactly do the do or offer apart from courses which you have to pay for.

I suppose this is a bit of a rant really because I believe a country which is in the state we are in should be looking for new ideas and the enterprise boards should be out scouring the country for new business startups.

They were also totally unhelpful with my search for a premises apart from giving me the names of the local esate agents which I know already. I am finding it very difficult to locate business premises locally, there are loads close to me which have been sitting empty for years but the landlords are still seeking top rents and long lease terms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Had the exact same experience with the local enterprise board, went away with leaflets for paid courses that I was 'advised' to take, stupid stuff that could be learned elsewhere for free.
    Felt really let down as I expected a lot more support and advise on how to get the business off the ground rather than just a sales pitch on their fantastic courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 etab

My experience is quite positive with the enterprise boards, they do tend to get a bad press.

I think the first person you meet at the door will likely want to fob you off on one of those courses. I did the "Start your own business course" of my own free will and while some of the 10 days were useful, i did skip evenings where I thought it wouldn't be useful. So if you can get past the first person you meet in the cebs it could be helpful.

So to me the ceb offers
    1. Strategic Advice
    2. Networking
    3. Subsided courses.
    3. Potential basic funding.

I am not sure if the freelance adviser was a mentor, for some the term "reason freelance" adviser sounds expensive.

In essence the ceb isn't going to have a secret handshake to get you the same premises at a cheaper price than you can.

The guy at the front door mightn't be the most helpful, but if you get past them they are normally ok with help or fast to say they can't.

I am not sure what other service they would offer in an ideal world?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

I think that as you are an experienced business person already the enterprise boards is not what you are looking for. They are there to educate people who are starting out realy. People who are taking the step from a job or unemployment to setting up on their own. I have done several of their subsidised courses and found them very good value. I dont think its their job to fine premises. To be honest, I'm surprised thats such a problem these days.
    Maybe you should look into the local chambers org. or post specific questions here or on www.smallbusinesscan.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭bon ami

I agree with Lucky John. I have done courses with CEB and found them very useful. Remember they are not going to do your job for you. Finding suitable premises etc. is your responsibility . If you are having difficulties understanding EU law to employment law, rates, barcoding, manufacturing standards and patents, then you need to go on some courses to bring yourself up to speed.

Was the independent advisor a mentor form the CEB? No consultant/advisor is going t help you with specifics - you need to make the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

I suppose its a perspective of where you are comming from and your requirements. I did assume a local enterprise board was to encourage and assist people regardless of background with establishing new enterprise which may lead to local employment. Starting any business in this climate has its challenges and my main requirement was not funding or training but local information and knowledge. All of this should be easily available through any board promoting job creation.

But to go in looking for this information and get a sales pitch about training courses is a bit askew I though that if training was required the first call would be to Fas. No disrespect intended but honestly what percentage of people who undertake these start your own business courses actually really start a business ?

I did not want them to find or fund a premises for me but I though with the the boards connections locally they might have insight into where I could find space or even know if another business which was willing to share space or something like that. I have since located a business premises and yes there is a lot of space free but its still at 2005 prices.

Since then I have discovered that the enterprise boards only real interest is manufacturing and international traded services which makes it terms of reference very limited. The offices I assume are self funding via aggressively pitched training courses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement