Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tweezers & Mascara?

• 17-09-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Bit of a disastrous trip to Boots at the weekend so would appreciate your advice on two matters:

Tweezers
    I honestly didn't think my eyebrows were that gorilla-esque, but I seem to find it impossible to buy tweezers that actually tweeze, i.e. grab hold of the little hair and pull the fecker out on first go. I'm now on pair #3 (first was a cheapie jobbie, second was "models' own" for €20 and no better, third purchase on Sat were Boots own brand but top of their range, for €8, and still sh*te). Can anyone recommend a brand that are actually good? Or do I have really freaky eyebrows these days? (I never had this problem before until about 6 months ago!)

Mascara
    Also ballsed up my choice of mascara, was a bit flustered and, on discovering my previous mascara (a volumising No. 7 variety in a gold tube, couldn't remember the name) had been discontinued, ended up panicking and buying Rimmel "extra lashes" or something like that. It is also sh*te. Any recommendations for a nice volumising mascara that's suitable for daytime wear (not too tranny looking, but does actually make a difference to your peepers)?

Thanks for tips on either!

Comments

With regards to the tweezers, it all depends on how you tweeze. IMO brands don't really make a difference, it's more to do with the style of tweezer that suits you best.

For me, I prefer slant-tipped tweezers that are a bit heavy. I always make sure the tips meet perfectly and that where they meet there's a large enough surface area (i.e. that the tips aren't sharp). Also they must be not too narrow but not too wide, I'd say around 3/4mm width is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Tweezers - Manicare or Tweezerman are brilliant. I have very course, deep hair on my eyebrows that tend to break as opposed to come out with cheapy tweezers. Both of the above brands are very good. I also recommend a slant tipped one - flat and rounded tipped are just aggravating to work with. I think Boots sell both brands, but will stand for correction on that.

Mascara - Maybelline do really good mascaras. If you go for the more expensive ones (usually with a tapered bottle/package) like "Falsies" (purple) or "Colossal" (yellow) or something similar you should get a good product. The cheaper formulas tend to be a bit clumpy and take forever to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Thx guys!

true-or-false, this pretty much sounds like the tweezers I just bought (slant-edged, look like they close really tightly, about 3-4mm wide) but trying to tweeze this morning, about half of the hairs (whether the finer ones or coarser ones) just slipped right through the tweezers or, when I finally got a grip, broke rather than pulling out from the shaft.

I don't know if maybe i'm doing this wrong?!? Though have been plucking my eyebrows for about 16 years and never had such problems before...!

lorebringer, thank you thank you thank you for the brand-specific tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

In relation to tweezers id recommend a slanted "gosh" tweezer. I had the same problems before with all the tweezers i bought. Then I bought one from "gosh" and wouldn't be without it. Only cost about €10 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I like the tweezerman tweezers, expensive but worth it, but i find outher tweezers do a similar jobs for me tho, but not as good so i tend to have a good few pairs lying around as i always tend to lose them, as for mascara i love Benefit's Theyre Real or L'oreal mascaras are generally pretty good and Maybelline are good for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tweezerman for me too :)

Best tweezers I've ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Try Trim slant edged tweezers.
    I hate when I lose mine - any other ones that I buy just don't work. I've been using this make since I was a teenager.
    They are very cheap too.

Gordon's do them in the North but I have never seen them in boots.

http://www.gordonsdirect.com/trim-tweezers-slant.html

Thx guys!

true-or-false, this pretty much sounds like the tweezers I just bought (slant-edged, look like they close really tightly, about 3-4mm wide) but trying to tweeze this morning, about half of the hairs (whether the finer ones or coarser ones) just slipped right through the tweezers or, when I finally got a grip, broke rather than pulling out from the shaft.

I don't know if maybe i'm doing this wrong?!? Though have been plucking my eyebrows for about 16 years and never had such problems before...!

lorebringer, thank you thank you thank you for the brand-specific tips.

This is exactly what happens when I use crappy tweezers - broken hairs or I end up pulling my skin (ouch!). The trick to tweezing is getting as close to the skin as possible and grab the hair, pull in the direction of growth - job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lolocheese

Ive heard that tweezerman tweezers are great, where can you get them though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lolocheese

Ive heard that tweezerman tweezers are great, where can you get them though?!

• Advertisement

I got my tweezerman in Boots :)

Advertisement