Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a tenner lasts 6 months?

Options
  • 17-09-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just looking for advice on what would be the best PAYG Network to go for, if the use of a certain device would be so minimal, that a tenner might even last 6 months? So no qualification for monthly top up deals etc. Also, during this 6 months, the sim may also have to be used in the UK (this leads me to think THREE as the first choice?).

The use would be a mix of data, calls and texts. Very minimal data, maybe just to update calendar, do a quick search online etc 2/3 days a month (again this could be in the UK) and then just a few phone calls here and there too.

I'm not looking to sign up to any bill pay options for this, even if it's only a tenner a month, as there could be months where this would get no use at all. Just need to make the most of a tenner top up basically in data/calls/texts over a 6 month period, so although the rates may not be the best possible, it's still affordable and won't eat through credit doing any particular task.

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Had a look at 3 and it seems the PAYG charges, without any special 20eur top up per month or other deal are as follows:

Calls- 29.48c per minute (charged per second)
    Texts- 12.20c per message
    DATA- €1.01per MB (charged per kb)

I think these same rates apply in the UK?

Also, it appears if you top up by 20eur, you get free all you can eat data, free weekend calls and texts. I'm just not sure if this expires after a month though and you have to top up €20 to get it again the next month, which wouldn't make it so good for the usage this sim will have..

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

O2 Golden Sim, all calls and texts are 10c (10c setup charge) calls and texts to O2 are free without topup. You might get one on ebay/adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

I looked into this a while ago as I'm in similar position without the roaming.

Have a look at these 2:

http://www.tescomobile.ie/

http://www.postfone.ie

Heard about that before actually. What about data and is there any need to keep topping up?

Thanks Maximus, have you any idea how either postfone or tesco would work while actually in the UK? It seems data will be 1.50per MB in the UK, and 4eur per MB in the rest of the world. Tesco say 2c/Mb (is that bit as opposed to byte, meaning it should be 2eur per MB?

• Advertisement

Just to note also, I'd of course be willing to top up say 30eur if I knew it wouldn't expire after 6 months of non-use..

cormie wrote: »
    Heard about that before actually. What about data and is there any need to keep topping up?

Data packages are same as regular O2 prepay. You need to "top up or make a chargeable use in respect of your Account for a period of 6 months" i.e. topup or spend some credit every 6 months.

So it looks like it's €1 per day mobile internet with o2 for up to 50mb, that means I guess that even a calendar update will be €1. I wonder how that would compare with three data wise. Also, I can't for the life of me see roaming charges anywhere on the prepay pages...

Cormie I don't know much about roaming charges in Uk but Tesco seems to have info on their website and also have a formum here on Boards.

Forum is 'Biz/Talk to.../Tesco Mobile'

They usually seem to reply quickly to any queries there.

Thanks again maximus, just had another look and found it, seems data isn't available while roaming :confused:

http://www.tescomobile.ie/using-your-mobile-abroad.aspx

says NA...

• Advertisement

There is a thread here on Tesco forum about data roaming. Seems it is coming shortly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056640602

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

This offer looks very decent

http://www.48months.ie/deal

I wonder where is the catch ?

€10 and €20 monthly is too much, thanks anyway :)

Would need to have the data roaming immediately.

I think Three is looking like the best option so far, or maybe the o2 gold sim.. but not for data..

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EthicRanger

Then for 5eur you get 500mb/30 days which works in UK , install cabbage pro app in phone for 1$ and enjoy 333sms/month worldwide free. Now having internet you can use cheap calls over internet. Won't be best quality, but should do a job

Then for 5eur you get 500mb/30 days which works in UK , install cabbage pro app in phone for 1$ and enjoy 333sms/month worldwide free. Now having internet you can use cheap calls over internet. Won't be best quality, but should do a job

Thanks, but I don't think such a solution is suitable. That's a minimum of €30 for 6 months, I may not even spend more than €10 on a regular top up solution plus as every phone call will be work related and will need to be done in a hurry and costing money with any delays, a data type calling system will definitely not suit.

What do you think about just a regular sim and top up from 3?

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks, but I don't think such a solution is suitable. That's a minimum of €30 for 6 months, I may not even spend more than €10 on a regular top up solution plus as every phone call will be work related and will need to be done in a hurry and costing money with any delays, a data type calling system will definitely not suit.

What do you think about just a regular sim and top up from 3?

Probably the best option for you, you get 50 free texts/calls to 3IRL + 200MB data with €10 topup and 100MB data with €5 topup.

http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay/index.html

Thanks, I was thinking even the €20 option on that page would be suitable, but I've just read the terms of offer at the end of the page for all 10eur, 5eur and 20eur options and it states that a top up every 30 days is required :(

Maybe I should just forget about any special deals and just settle on a sim with the cheapest base rates for calls, texts and data combined, being used in Ire and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You could have a look at Lycamobile. Or if the phone was used in UK, try Giffgaff.

Thanks for the suggestions. All I'm seeing DATA wise with lyca is "valid for 30 days after top up". They seem more geared towards making international calls so I'm not sure if that would suit? Also giffgaff would probably work out more expensive overall since most of the use would be here in Ireland, as in 95% :)

Tesco Mobile have now started their data roaming service, but only to UK and EU.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update maximus. UK and EU is really the only places the phone will be used anyway so that might be ok. I'll try see if I can find the prices :)

I've just seen their data at home charges and I don't think it'll work either. It's 79c for up to 50mb, again that means even updating a calendar entry will be costing 79c, if that's done every day, that's 23eur a month for what could only be a few kb of data. With three, it's charged per kb so would work out better I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EthicRanger

"3" Payg : I think you can set up automatic top ups (say 5Eur/month from debit card)
    Also i think you can qeue data packages. Once one 30days finishes, another the same kicks in. Need to double check free call 1913. At least it was, when i was user.

Lyca: i am reading T&C's on Lyca leaflet. is it not "Valid for 30days" only apllies for additional gift credits? The normal credit you pay, should last ok. And i believe they will keep free data, once you top up every 30days.
    THey have auto- top up option as well.
    Call Lyca customer service 01 437 2322

Thanks, I think I might just go with 3. It'll work for calls, texts and data and any savings I could make with another sim, might work out more expensive in the UK and even if it does work out cheaper, it would be only by a few cent I'm sure.

Unless of course there's a provider who will let you top up by say 10eur and give you 200mb or something which will last 6 months without needing to top up again.

Advertisement