Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cocktail Thread

Options
  • 17-09-2012 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

There are not nearly enough cocktail threads here. Beers are great, but tbh they get a bit samey. My current favourite cocktail is the pina colada, the IBA recipe. I'm partial to a mojito too, but they're fiddly and inconsistent.

Anyone got any favourites or suggestions?

Pina Colada

30 ml (one part) white rum
    30 ml (one part) cream of coconut
    90 ml (3 parts) pineapple juice

Preparation: Mix with crushed ice until smooth. Pour into chilled glass, garnish and serve.

I'd recommend chilling all ingredients before mixing.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A Vodka Martini. Stirred not shaken. I hate when people think shaking makes the superior martini just because of Bond.

I prefer a lemon twist garnish over olives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Caipirosca made with Russian Standard

Essential piece of kit for making one is a muddler - hard to get in Ireland, I got mine in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Got to be a Bramble

Decent Gin
    Chambord
    Fresh Lemon
    Simple Syrup

Shaken, over crushed ice.

White Russians on crushed ice aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Fidel Castro:

White rum,
    ginger ale,
    lime juice,
    cucumber.

Nice and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Also Raspberry Tom Collins

A few raspberries muddled in the glass, top with ice (preferably crushed)
    Add: 1 measure decent gin
    A squeeze of lemon juice
    A dash of simple syrup
    Soda water to top up
    Throw a lemon wedge in on top so it looks pretty.

And of course sours.

Take any spirit or liquer you can think of.
    Serve with one part spirit to two parts sour mix shaken with egg white or frothee mix (optional) and pour over crushed ice in a low ball tumbler.
    The most common mixes are with rum, bourbon, gin, vodka and oddly enough Amaretto, but you can make it with anything.

To make your sour mix, in a spare shaker add equal parts water, sugar, fresh lemon and lime juice in a spare shaker and shake until the sugar is dissolved, if you want it sweeter add more sugar etc. This will keep a couple of days in the fridge and be used in a wide variety of cocktails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Another one I've tried:

Daiquiri

2 oz rum (white or dark)
    1 oz lime juice
    1 oz simple syrup

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A Whiskey Sour is my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Can anybody recommend a cocktail kit, ice crusher, shakers, glasses, recipe book etc. Looking for something for the Christmas.

Also if any expert could give me a list of 6-8 bottles of spirits to buy to make a decent choice of cocktails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Can anybody recommend a cocktail kit, ice crusher, shakers, glasses, recipe book etc. Looking for something for the Christmas.

Yeah I'd like to know too.
    Also if any expert could give me a list of 6-8 bottles of spirits to buy to make a decent choice of cocktails.

It really depends what your favourites are. For me, a bottle of good rum is the only necessity for daiquiris, mojitos, pina coladas etc. Gin is a good one to have too. Whisky is unnecessary imo, as is vodka. A few liquers might be an option, Tia Maria and Cointreau come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Browns restaurant in the UK do an African Gin Sling - not sure of the quantities etc but it is absolutely amazing!!

Whitley Neill Gin, Tia Maria, mango, passion fruit, lemon, sugar and Angostura Bitters with soda
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Keep an eye out in supermarkets & offies, they had nice absolut & finlandia kits before with bottles at christmas.

Advertisement