Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smelly gear - how to wash?

• 17-09-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get this problem? If you use a cordura type jacket every day in all weather you probably do.
    How the hell do you wash them and get rid of that smell? Usually my jacket is near the end of it's life so I bin it. But this jacket is a good one and is in perfect condition, and I don't want to bin it.
    You can't wash goretex with normal detergent, so I use that nikwax was stuff that you get in bikeworld. Doesn't get rid of the smell.
    Also, bikeworld have some aerosol spray stuff that's supposed to work. It doesn't.
    Has anyone got a solution? Gloves could do with the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Freebreeze ?? works for most stinks. gloves you can hand wash with normal detergent, and dry in hot press

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

Take the lining out and the armour.....throw it into the washing machine, check the label tio be sure you can machine wash.

If not, do it by hand.

Add you nickwax stuff etc after you've vleaned it. Allow to drip dry on a line, well aired area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I found any of those waxed cotton or synthetic based cloth jackets loose their water proof qualities once they are machine washed. Had several Barbour and Akito jackets which I eventually binned because I could never get them right again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I found any of those waxed cotton or synthetic based cloth jackets loose their water proof qualities once they are machine washed. Had several Barbour and Akito jackets which I eventually binned because I could never get them right again.

Detergent breaks down waterproof coating. You CAN get it back with stuff like Nikwax, but it's not ever gonna be like it was when new, but you really have to choose the right type of nikwax for the job at hand.

You MUST make sure that if using detergent in the washing machine to wash the product that when it comes to the nikwax cycle you first thoroughly and completely clean out the detergent intake, then you run it empty and make sure the detergent intake is clean of all detergent. Then and only then, do you use the Nikwax (or any other waterproofing agent)

That all said, it's best to use a proper tech-wash for anything really. It's designed for the purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you tried this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Washing tablets in each pocket and start riding in the rain ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Notch000 wrote: »
    Freebreeze ?? works for most stinks. gloves you can hand wash with normal detergent, and dry in hot press
    It's beyond that! I had a aerosol spray that's a hardcore version of frebreeze and it didn't really do anything.
    Banzai600 wrote: »
    Take the lining out and the armour.....throw it into the washing machine, check the label tio be sure you can machine wash.

If not, do it by hand.

Add you nickwax stuff etc after you've vleaned it. Allow to drip dry on a line, well aired area.
    That's what I've done, no difference. Jacket is clean, but still gets a stink, especially if gets wet.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Have you tried this stuff?
    No, but I'm going to, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

The reason your bike gear is smelling is because over time it gathers bacteria.

The best way to get rid of the smell is to kill the bacteria.

Fill the bath with warm weather add one cap full of MILTON for babies bottles.
    It's a very mild bleach.

Rinse it all down, re water proof it and let it dry.
    This works on gloves too but leather will shrink a little bit! So be warned.

Always treat the leather after other wise it goes hard and cracks.

You get very little color run with Milton.
    Costs feck all and lasts ages!

skapegoat wrote: »

It's a very mild bleach.

That sounds so crazy it just might work! Did you ever try it? Jacket is goretex, do I need to wash it in the machine with nikwax afterwards? Actually, that would do no harm just to get rid of the milton smell.
    Baby bottles are clean after something like 20 minutes in milton, how long do you reckon for a jacket? Armour and lining removed obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

I remove the lining and armour, then throw it in the machine on a 30 degree wash using tesco own brand non-bio liquid and NO fabric conditioner. If it's a good day it goes out on the line to dry on a clothes hanger, if not it's left to dry by the stove and put in the airing cupboard over night. I usually throw the lining in with a coloured wash and throw in fabric conditioner with that. I use a waterproof spray from Lidl, although i forgot to put it on one day after cleaning it and it p*ssed down but the gear stayed waterproof :) Drying it quick helps a lot i think as it's like any clothes, the longer they are damp they tend to start smelling again.
    I first time i used the tesco detergent and lidl spray it was meant to be a temporary measure till i got the nikwax stuff but it worked grand so i stuck with it :D

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »

It's a very mild bleach.

That sounds so crazy it just might work! Did you ever try it? Jacket is goretex, do I need to wash it in the machine with nikwax afterwards? Actually, that would do no harm just to get rid of the milton smell.
    Baby bottles are clean after something like 20 minutes in milton, how long do you reckon for a jacket? Armour and lining removed obviously.

I have done it with summer and winter gloves but have yet to do it with jackets.
    The gloves stink after a while but be warned they will shrink a small bit the first time.

Leave in for 10 15 mins then rise with cold water. Leave out to dry on a day when there is Good drying out boyo!

Works a treat even if there is a slight Milton smell!

I have done it with summer and winter gloves but have yet to do it with jackets.
    The gloves stink after a while but be warned they will shrink a small bit the first time.

Leave in for 10 15 mins then rise with cold water. Leave out to dry on a day when there is Good drying out boyo!

Works a treat even if there is a slight Milton smell!

Milton smell beats stinky bike jacket smell. I'm getting some milton this weekend to give it a go. I reckon I'll put it in the washing machine on the spin cycle only to get the heavy wet off it first.
    My gloves are fine, so won't bother with them. I have milton tablets that work in a sink of water, if I need to do them, I'll do them like that.
    Cheers.

In case anyone is wondering, I can confirm, the milton works. I used about 8 capfuls in a half full bath of water. Did lid lining, jacket, trousers and gloves. Everything came out as good as new

Glad to here, dont forget to treat leather after with leather care wax of some kind, horse saddle stuff is good.

And re waterproof the textiles.

Glad to here, dont forget to treat leather after with leather care wax of some kind, horse saddle stuff is good.

And re waterproof the textiles.
    I washed it in nikwax afterwards in the washing machine with a slow spin to dry it. Haven't used it in the rain yet, but I reckon it'll be grand.

Only got round to doing it now cos I know I wouldn't need the bike for about 5-6 days, and I know gloves and lid liner would take a while to dry.

Cheers, knew when I read it that it'd work, makes perfect sense!

Advertisement