Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband

• 17-09-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I was told that if you buy broadband from UPC you get standard tv channels with it (RTE, TV3, etc), just wondering if this is true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

yep you get the standard pipe via the wall box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭cojomo2

mark17j wrote: »
    yep you get the standard pipe via the wall box
    are you sure?

I just rang them, asked for the cheapest pack with basic tv and basic broadband. 65.50 i was quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No its not true, you would need a UPC tv box to decrypt the cabled signal from the wall box. In order to get the UPC tv box you must have a TV package as UPC own the receivers.

listermint wrote: »
    No its not true, you would need a UPC tv box to decrypt the cabled signal from the wall box. In order to get the UPC tv box you must have a TV package as UPC own the receivers.

you dont need a upc box to decode the basic channels. If you take the box out of the equation and just plug the cable into the back of your tv you still get the basic 14 or so Irish and uk channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Could you not just get UPC broadband on it's own and use a Saorview Combo box with the Freesat channels on it if you just wanted the basic channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cojomo2 wrote: »
    you dont need a upc box to decode the basic channels. If you take the box out of the equation and just plug the cable into the back of your tv you still get the basic 14 or so Irish and uk channels.

You sure about this ? have you tried it ?

yep sure, and have tried it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Me two. F-type splitter to the rf input of your tv.

MarkR wrote: »
    Me two. F-type splitter to the rf input of your tv.
    Are you talking about getting the basic channels while just paying for bb?

I wasn't- all I was saying is that you dont need the box to decode the basic 14 channels.

So if you are a BB only customer, you will still receive the basic tv channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Are you talking about getting the basic channels while just paying for bb?

I wasn't- all I was saying is that you dont need the box to decode the basic 14 channels.

So if you are a BB only customer, you will still receive the basic tv channels?

But that is just the analog signal, which is due to be turned off in the very near future

So you'd at least need a saorview tv or box to get any channels once the switch is made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

You are misinformed. Analogue signal is not being turned off on UPC's network. See here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

AFAIK it depends on where you live. The old NTL network (before it was bought by UPC) provided a basic analogue service which included the RTE channels and some english ones, whereas the old Chorus network (before it was bought aswell) just has the RTE channels on analogue. Perhaps on the NTL network they provide that channels for free on digital as well, but I can confirm the don't on the chorus part.

They will most likely stop broadcasting the analogue signal when the switchover happens.
    Edit: Mountjoy Mugger seems more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

oh right, did not know that *tips hat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The only place (more or less) that offers no extra channels beyond the basic 4 on analogue is Cork. You need a set top box for everything there. Otherwise pretty much all piped/cable TV offers at least 12 to 17 analogue channels which are picked up directly by plugging in the TV.

The only place (more or less) that offers no extra channels beyond the basic 4 on analogue is Cork. You need a set top box for everything there. Otherwise pretty much all piped/cable TV offers at least 12 to 17 analogue channels which are picked up directly by plugging in the TV.
    Indeed. I'm in D15, and get 16 channels by just plugging cable in TV and letting it scan for channels. Very handy as a back up when Sky goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

Ok so just to clarify, if I JUST get broadband from UPC I will also get standard channels that will not be affected when the switchover happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

sunrise91 wrote: »
    Ok so just to clarify, if I JUST get broadband from UPC I will also get standard channels that will not be affected when the switchover happens?

I currently only have broadband only through UPC, and I get analogue channels free :)

But what happens on October 24th, I can't answer that.

Yes.

Although it will work out cheaper if you take out phone with them too, as then you won't have to pay the standalone fee for broadband! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

Yes.

Although it will work out cheaper if you take out phone with them too, as then you won't have to pay the standalone fee for broadband! ;)

Super!! Oh the joys of being a student :rolleyes:

so do broadband and tv come into the house on the same cable? We have a cable coming into the house but nothing happens when we connect to our tv, as the cable is disconnected at the box on/near the roof outside...obviously I could get a ladder and reconnect the cable but that would be illegal.

So, if I order broadband, upc will reconnect this cable outside, and then plug this into one of their modems inside the house? So what then, unplug from modem into a 2 way splitter and then get some more cable and connect to both modem and tv, is that it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

So, if I order broadband, upc will reconnect this cable outside, and then plug this into one of their modems inside the house? So what then, unplug from modem into a 2 way splitter and then get some more cable and connect to both modem and tv, is that it?

Yep, that's it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

The switchover only affects aerial analogue if I'm correct

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    The switchover only affects aerial analogue if I'm correct

That is correct. Has no effect on UPC analgoue TV service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

What kind of splitter do i need? And do i really need it if i have upc box in wall with 2 connectors? Both female?I think that http://kopier.pl/zdiecia/antena/wtyki/2.jpg should do if the second one is fine if not i can add it to splitter.

I think i can buy http://www.4cabling.com.au/products/2-Way-Splitter-F-type-5%252d2400MHz-All-Ports-Power-Pass.html and f type female-femal connection(because you need to connect it somehow:) + cable? And i can split it at the box not at the modem?
    Or something like that http://www.altron.com.pl/Allegro/PrzejFwt-2xgn.jpg and it should be sorted out - from modem to box and tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

If you just plug into back of tv how do you change channels ? are the stations tuned into the tv & you use tv remote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I think that is the way it works. I will go into the town in few minutes and try to buy all that i check it.

jsn.peters wrote: »
    If you just plug into back of tv how do you change channels ? are the stations tuned into the tv & you use tv remote ?
    Yes. That's generally how its done. The TV will pick up a channel and store it on Ch 1, then find another channel and store it on Ch 2 and up until all possible channels are found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Well I know from a friend out in Balbriggan that has UPC television,
    this is the case for getting the 16 or so analogue on a second television.
    But yet I know from friends in no fewer than 4 other places in D6, D8, D16 and D20 this is not the case on their second television.

But here is the thing, UPC digital television in Balbriggan has a slightly different television station line-up to those in D6, D8, D16 and D20.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mullallovic

I'm in D5 and get 17 channels from pluging straight into Tv.

You need to split the lead that goes into the router. The second port on the UPC box on the wall does not have same signal. (I was able to tune in 3 channels at very bad quality from this port)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

What are the 17 analogue channels that are available by default?

Is setanta Ireland one of them?

Advertisement