Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got bitten today by a dog

• 17-09-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I love dogs and have 2 of my own but just want to say I was dropping of my car today at a garage that's on a farm and I've been there loads of times but today there was a few dogs there in a pack and they were very rowdy , I turned my back to walk away after dropping my car off early before gates to garage were open and I got bitten bad on the back of the leg.

This happened a few years ago as well with a pack of terriers , I just want to say never turn your back on a rowdy bunch of dogs.

I'm not wanting to have any of these dogs put down but you have to have your wits about you sometimes. I told owner of this and he said he knows which one bit me because I don't, there was 4 of them, he said hell tie this dog up in future.

I'm going up shortly to collect car and I'll be showing him my leg.

In people's opinion I've not had any jabs in years, would I need one for this.?
    Mrs says I should but she gets very excited easly. That's why she married me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Getting a tetanus jab is probably a smart move if only to keep you up to date.

Aside from that just keep the wound clean.

If you pick up an infection (happened to me before) you'll know by tomorrow and you'll need anti-biotics anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Deffo a Tetanus, esp as these dogs are on a farm, lots of diseases floating around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Plus 3 on the T Jab, unless you've had one in the last ten years. Clean the wound, and fingers crossed there's no infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Get your vaccines up to date, its highly unlikely he has his dogs vaccines up to date.

I am a dog lover and have always had dogs. UNfortunately dogs work in packs and if left unchecked can create a major risk. What if you had parked around the corner and did not see the dogs but sent your six year old in for a message. There is a good chance you would never see that child again. Just because you are relaxed is no excuse for not dealing with this. I would chat with ISPCA and consider the guards.

Thank god no harm done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

work wrote: »
    What if you had parked around the corner and did not see the dogs but sent your six year old in for a message.
    Send a six-year-old unsupervised into a strange farm? That would be some awesome parenting.

Definitely no need to get anyone involved in this. If the dog drew blood, then tetanus is a must. You won't need anything else, there's no rabies in Ireland. The doc might give you a round of antibiotics to be on the safe side. I would also ask the owner to look after the doc bill (or at least knock it off the cost of the service).

The dog probably got overexcited. My parents two JRTs go utterly mental when they see me (my fault for bonding with them as pups), and if I get them worked up and then turn and walk away from them, one of them without fail will jump up and bite me hard on the arse, out of pure excitement. That's when I learned to calm them down before I walked away :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I love dogs and have 2 of my own but just want to say I was dropping of my car today at a garage that's on a farm and I've been there loads of times but today there was a few dogs there in a pack and they were very rowdy , I turned my back to walk away after dropping my car off early before gates to garage were open and I got bitten bad on the back of the leg.

This happened a few years ago as well with a pack of terriers , I just want to say never turn your back on a rowdy bunch of dogs.

I'm not wanting to have any of these dogs put down but you have to have your wits about you sometimes. I told owner of this and he said he knows which one bit me because I don't, there was 4 of them, he said hell tie this dog up in future.

Seriously get a tetanus, it will last 10 years! Plus the doctor/nurse will give it a good clean, they may even perscribe an antibiotic to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think I got my doctor to give me the tetnus jab last time ( dunno when that was or how long they last!) it's really worth it. A guy in work got bitten by a yorkie & did nothing, & his fingers & then his hand, wrist & then arm swelled up & went septic. He had to have it in a sling & take time off ; he was in real agony.
    I got bitten by a spider ( yes!!) last year & left it cos it was like a joke injury ; I ended up with septicaemia & cellulitis & a leg so bad I couldn't bend the knee , put on even wellies or drive :(

Sure you could bring the Missys too for moral support! ..she might enjoy the day out : )

Defo get a tetnus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't gona bother getting jab but you know what, it'll last 10 years like previous poster said plus every 2 years or so I go for check ups to get bloods taken for cholesterol ect, I'm about 9 months off that so off I'll go

trouble is I'm not off till later in week, my leg feels ok this morning but marks look bad, and blood was drawn, I can't really take it further, the mechanic is a good friend and has already helped me out no end of times in the past for no money .

Thanks for all the advice folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

If he already knows which one bit you - he already knew one was prone to attacking/biting people. If he ALREADY knew this, why didn't he ALREADY tie up the dangerous dog?

Sounds like he's just paying you some lip service and if you went back next weekend all the same dogs would be roaming free. IMHO.

UCDVet wrote: »
    If he already knows which one bit you - he already knew one was prone to attacking/biting people. If he ALREADY knew this, why didn't he ALREADY tie up the dangerous dog?

Sounds like he's just paying you some lip service and if you went back next weekend all the same dogs would be roaming free. IMHO.

Your probably right,

He said he used to tie that dog up all the time but he hadn't bitten anyone in over a year..... Charming..... I told him he was lucky it was myself he was dealing with because some people would have gone to town with him over it.

My thing is if that dog can't be trusted and has bitten before and their going to tie it up for ever and a day then the dog is better put down surely. Some people shouldn't have dogs. They never take them for walks, they only have a few sheep and chickens, what the feck they want all the dogs for in the 1st place amazes me!!!,

Sorry my morning rant it over now!!!

• Advertisement

Well I didn't get a shot from doctor, I didn't feel any discomfort so I didn't see the need to get it checked out ......l.l.l

BUT...

Nearly a week on and my leg has started to hurt and I think it's got infected, so I'm going to doctor tues morn as I've been working everyday till now, I'm so annoyed with myself... I knew I should have gone to doc straight away ... Gggrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry, but it does sounds as though you've picked up an infection. Friend or not, the mechanic should be getting the doctor's bill!

I love dogs, but it's totally unacceptable that the fella has dogs roaming free one of which is known to bite people. He's lucky the warden didn't call down to him.

AND I would make sure the tetanus shots are up to date.

Well I didn't get a shot from doctor, I didn't feel any discomfort so I didn't see the need to get it checked out ......l.l.l

BUT...

Nearly a week on and my leg has started to hurt and I think it's got infected, so I'm going to doctor tues morn as I've been working everyday till now, I'm so annoyed with myself... I knew I should have gone to doc straight away ... Gggrrrrrrr

Squirt lodes of Savlon or Dettol on it & the surrounding area til then :(
    That's v bad luck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd keep washing the wound with warm salt water. Boil the kettle and make up the saline wash from that. But you need to get to a quack PDQ!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It's bizarre how much aggressive dogs are tolerated. If a dog randomly bites humans to harm, then it ought to be killed. [By biting to harm, I mean not play-biting or nipping, but when it's being aggressive and trying to atcually hurt you.]

I like dogs and animals; worked in an animal shelter; am vegetarian incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Puncture wounds are the most likely ones to get infected, the dog probably had manky teeth and the wound closed around it trapping any infection. A nail would do the same thing. Bizarrely, a big ripped wound with loads of blood can be self cleaning and you'd be OK.

I'll join in on the tetanus jab recommendations even though the last time I had one it was agony, but apparently that was proof of how much I needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

It is essential you get to the GP. Dogs can carry fatal diseases (to humans) if not treated urgently.

I hope this is not going to become an issue for you, the chances are its just an infected bite and direct disinfecting along with the meds the doc suggests sould clear it up. Luckily you are not medically compromised (I hope) or a child.

As already mentioned you have an obligation to deal with this dog, perhaps one of the vets here could advise you? How would you feel if that dog kills a child in future knowing what you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You really should have gone and seen about it, and you need to ASAP. I got bitten two and a half years ago, went to A&E, they didn't give me tetanus, doctor on duty said I didn't need it, but did give me antibiotics. Unfortunately I'm allergic to penicillin, and obviously the antibiotics I was given weren't strong enough. The finger got infected, I ended up spending 4 days and nights in hospital and having 4 minor operations. My finger is still swollen, and I can't bend it totally.

Go to the Doctor in the morning, its really not worth taking the chance. I was told that if I hadn't gone back in I could have lost my hand, arm or worse!

Hi, thanks for all the advice folks, I went to the doctor this morning before work and he said you can't have tetanus jab if it was after 3 days at most, he said you should have come straight into me . I know I know ....

Anyway he looked at bite marks and said it defo infected but really early signs of infection and put me on antis , he said it should be ok but antis will take 2 days to kick in . Keep it clean with just warm water. And don't cover it up.

So it all comes to

Clutch plus labour= 350
    Doctor = 45
    Antis 17

Was a very expensive car fix , oh and me fix

Thing is I can't do anything about it as guys is a very close friend of my wife's family, it's just not worth the hassle, and I know ye all gona say what if dog bites a child or more serious, well I brought it to his attention , he knows what's happened, it's up to him now really.

I'll make it known around the circle of trust (family) what it cost me , again it's up to him to come forward and do the right thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I know I know ....
    This is what you said to your wife too? ;)

Get well soon!

• Advertisement

peckerhead wrote: »
    I know I know ....

Get well soon!

Well, my clutch cost me e600 so you're still winning there. And the guy knows.. PG it's a junkyard dog that never goes elsewhere & won't be in contact with kids etc & the owner will tie it up now again. As you say: it's a close circle & he will know. ..
    If he has any feelings for the dog he will watch for it's future & be wary of it's tempermenent & tie it up & get a few signs... A reminder in his ear won't go astray... I did this once to someone whose dog bit mine.." we all love our pets & they"re only dogs; and there for the grace of God go I, but you will have to get that dog a muzzle.. Nobody wants to see a much loved pet put down..."
    Try it.
    Enjoy the drugs :0

Watch out!!! Friends dogs about!

Get well soon!

peckerhead wrote: »
    I know I know ....

Get well soon!

Well, my clutch cost me e600 so you're still winning there. And the guy knows.. PG it's a junkyard dog that never goes elsewhere & won't be in contact with kids etc & the owner will tie it up now again. As you say: it's a close circle & he will know. ..
    If he has any feelings for the dog he will watch for it's future & be wary of it's tempermenent & tie it up & get a few signs... A reminder in his ear won't go astray... I did thus once to someone whose dog bit mine.." we all live our pets & they"re only dogs; and there for the grace of God go I, but you will have to get that dog a muzzle.. Nobody wants to see a much loved pet put down..."
    Try it.
    Enjoy the drugs :0

Watch out!!! Friends dogs about!

Advertisement