Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC new bb packages

• 17-09-2012 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

I see that the UPC broadband packages are now 50/100/150 meg. Anyone know if this applies to existing customers too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

omahaid wrote: »
    I see that the UPC broadband packages are now 50/100/150 meg. Anyone know if this applies to existing customers too?

Best give them a ring about that.

Think I might finally upgrade my old 20mb package and go for the 100mb. I wonder, can this be done instantly over the phone? I have an Apple wireless router which can handle those speeds but can the cisco modem handle them incoming?

(Also theres a 45 euro once off cost you have to pay even if you're existing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

they upgraded connections recently, but never added them to the site. I went from 30 -> 60 and 100 -> 120 for my 2 lines... Guessing, but have not been able to confirm yet, that that upgrade should still apply... Which means i should have 250mb down and 20mb up... :) fingers crossed!

which cisco modem do you have? Mine needed to be upgraded to get 120Mb and 60Mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Ya, suppose I'll give them a buzz. Do they have a rep on boards?

lotas wrote: »
    which cisco modem do you have? Mine needed to be upgraded to get 120Mb and 60Mb

The EPC 2425

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

omahaid wrote: »
    Ya, suppose I'll give them a buzz. Do they have a rep on boards?

Yes try the UPC forum

here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

listermint wrote: »

I'm not going to lie, I never knew they had a forum here :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I can see whats coming in January already.

"Due to UPC increasing their broadband speeds and supplying its customers with the fastest speeds available in Ireland, We will now have to up our costs for everything"

:rolleyes:

suppose its better than eircom's "We dont really care about the customer all that much and will try charge as much as possible for as little as possible... all while loosing money and being a drain on the economy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

lotas wrote: »
    suppose its better than eircom's "We dont really care about the customer all that much and will try charge as much as possible for as little as possible... all while loosing money and being a drain on the economy"

Fair Point :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom are currently offering 150mbits on their website (albeit in Sandyford and Wexford only) and cannot provide it at present as they are 'upgrading' their wholesale system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Why are UPC increasing speeds and not expanding their network?

Well I did it. Upgraded to 100mb. New DOCSIS3 router/modem required, I'll have it thursday :D

Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Liamario wrote: »

who cares? As long as I have access to 150mb that's all that matters :D

Nah seriously I feel your pain I waited ages for 100mb to come since it was first announce, I was ringing UPC every month asking "when? when? when?" and could never even get a straight answer.

I gave up ringing them until I saw a UPC van and the road all dug up around my area and rang again (still said not available) eventually was upgraded. You will simply have to wait - sucks :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

They already increased the cost. If you wanted the cheaper option (15mb was fine for me) and didnt want any extras you've already had your bill raised.

Also YouTube still takes ages to load on my connection (Netflix and Xbox movies work fine though)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,234 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Also YouTube still takes ages to load on my connection (Netflix and Xbox movies work fine though)...

I have this issue also...

As for existing customers, according to The Journal it'll cost existing customers and extra €3 a month to jump up (http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/upc-broadband-150mb-598162-Sep2012/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they are expanding their network, they just didn't get to everyone yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

were they using the unlimited download allowance statement before they updated the site with the new speeds? acceptable usage policy still says 500gb.

vibe666 wrote: »
    they are expanding their network, they just didn't get to everyone yet.

Not trying to be smart vide666, but do you have insider information. My neighbour- 20 metres away from me has access to all services and I don't. It's been like that for a few years. What makes you think this is going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

That's probably because one of your neighbours wouldn't let UPC pass their cable over or on their property,nothing much UPC can do about situations like that unfortunately.

• Advertisement

But I have UPC. All the HD channels etc. on my existing cable- just not broadband and phone.

What are UPC going to do for the likes of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Not trying to be smart vide666, but do you have insider information. My neighbour- 20 metres away from me has access to all services and I don't. It's been like that for a few years. What makes you think this is going to change.
    yes, i have top secret insider information, but being as it's you, i'll reveal my top secret source. ;)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0917/breaking37.html
    UPC has invested more than €500 million in upgrading its network to allow consumers get access to faster broadband. More than 500,000 homes can access the services.
    €500 million is a big chunk of cash to be spending on their own infrastructure in a little country like Ireland, so like I said, they ARE expanding their network, they just didn't get to everyone yet. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I can see whats coming in January already.

"Due to UPC increasing their broadband speeds and supplying its customers with the fastest speeds available in Ireland, We will now have to up our costs for everything"

:rolleyes:

they already did that about 2 months ago for me

My sarcasm was met with sarcasm. I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

Previously had Fibre Power 60 With Anytime World Local & National (50MB -> 60MB following previous UPC "free" ;) upgrade) and just upgraded to 100MB for €2 more...

Very good deal :D

Dhenalau wrote: »
    Previously had Fibre Power 60 With Anytime World Local & National (50MB -> 60MB following previous UPC "free" ;) upgrade) and just upgraded to 100MB for €2 more...

Very good deal :D
    Just off the phone with them. 60Mb to 100Mb for €2 is fecking brilliant. Now I just need a new wireless adapter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I think it may be time to downgrade from 120mb to the 100mb mid package.

Has anyone rang and asked UPC this? Presume it would cost the usual downgrade fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,928 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

hmm so to jump from 120mb to 150mb they want 3 euros a month more or else stick at 120mb for what I'm currently paying? Think I'll stick with 120mb as don't really see the benifit of jumping to 150mb, actually might be attractive to downgrade to 100mb and save some money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

One of my friends is interested in upgrading to the 50 meg service. Do UPC issue you with the Cisco or Thomson modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

N64 wrote: »
    One of my friends is interested in upgrading to the 50 meg service. Do UPC issue you with the Cisco or Thomson modem?
    I upgraded yesterday and was told the Thomson is required for the 50 Mbps connection.

Advertisement