Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC new bb packages

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yup, anythuing from 50mbps upwards will require a new modem/router if you've got the older cisco epc 2425 or the older standalone scientific atlanta modem that would have been given out before the upgrades in the last year (or possibly 2) when the top package was still *only* :D 30mbps.

just having a look there and it looks as though ireland might be the only UPC territory to get the 150mbps upgrades so far, even before the netherlands. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes, i have top secret insider information, but being as it's you, i'll reveal my top secret source. ;)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0917/breaking37.html
    The problem with the Irish Times is that it has a fine record of churnalism and a damned poor one on technology journalism. Therefore it might be worth taking such press releases with a grain of salt.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jmcc wrote: »
    The problem with the Irish Times is that it has a fine record of churnalism and a damned poor one on technology journalism. Therefore it might be worth taking such press releases with a grain of salt.

Regards...jmcc

Does the Irish Times even have a proper technical journalist?
    A "technology journalist" rang me recently asking what was the relationship between file sizes and Mb/s, what more does one say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC Poland got 150mbits before we did. UPC Germany is partially 150mbits We are nearly the first for a change...which is much better than being last as was hitherto the case.

UPC Ireland were NEARLY the last to go to 120mbits and were last to 100mbits. However the new CEO seems fairly well clued in and proactive...fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anyone know how much it'd be to upgrade the 30Mb(25 until recently) up to 50(or is it 60?)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Now that is what I call a fast upgrade.

Could not get through on 1908, so placed order online at 10:43, at 13:38 my modem suddenly reboots and once its back a mail shows saying you are now upgraded. And voila 150 Mb is there, not even 3 hours.

Now let's hope their backend has been upgraded to facilitate all their 150 Mb customers.

And I got confirmed, that as an existing customer if you don't need a new modem there is no 45€ charge, just the additional charge monthly.

bealtine wrote: »
    Does the Irish Times even have a proper technical journalist?
    Don't think it ever had one. Most of them seemed to be ex-Arts types who were way out of their depths in triple digit IQ territory. The thing about tech journalism is that the journos are either very good or abysmally bad. The very good tend to go back into industry having become frustrated with the sheer idiocy and low quality of the journalism. The abysmally bad fester and grow. Technology journalism in the Irish press tends to be a kind of half-way house for newbies to see if they are any good. Those who are may be moved to business journalism or other areas.
    A "technology journalist" rang me recently asking what was the relationship between file sizes and Mb/s, what more does one say?
    Wasn't a call from Silirep? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ED E wrote: »
    Anyone know how much it'd be to upgrade the 30Mb(25 until recently) up to 50(or is it 60?)?

Depends on what combination of phone and/or tv you have, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

not sure if people know this but if you do upgrade ur broadband as an existing customer you are signed into a new 12 month contract

shane. wrote: »
    not sure if people know this but if you do upgrade ur broadband as an existing customer you are signed into a new 12 month contract
    Yep, the sales agent told me that before I ordered.

I'm pretty sure they have to inform you?

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc
    the same story is in a upc press pack, so they just did a copy/paste job on it i imagine, but i'd hope upc would be at least mostly honest about the investment, although it's a figure they've been bandying around for the last couple of years, so i'd say it's a long term infrastructure investment strategy rather than just a quick €500m cash injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I changed the package I was getting from them today, I asked the question what happens if the price goes up and I was told that I could cancel at anytime.
    The reason I changed is that I was paying over €72 for the basic tv (inc hd and multiroom) and 30mb bb, I am now getting 25mb bb and the new minimum package with the multiroom and less the hd for €54.
    Is this deal legit and does anyone think its a good deal.

Also whats the issue with Youtube, very slow and seems to cancel out half way through videos?

vibe666 wrote: »
    the same story is in a upc press pack, so they just did a copy/paste job on it i imagine, but i'd hope upc would be at least mostly honest about the investment, although it's a figure they've been bandying around for the last couple of years, so i'd say it's a long term infrastructure investment strategy rather than just a quick €500m cash injection.
    Yep. The same release showed up in a few places almost verbatim (Silirep seems to have churned it too). The thing about UPC is that Eircom really isn't their main competition. The main service on UPC is still television programming and only Sky has been able to compete on that. UPC seems to have a good long term view whereas Eircom is just battling to survive in the short term.

Regards...jmcc

That's not entirely true to be fair. I know plenty people who have upgraded and downgraded and have checked this myself.

You'll be in contract if you get a new product (eg phone), get an upgraded modem, or go from not haing a bundle to having a bundle.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's not entirely true to be fair. I know plenty people who have upgraded and downgraded and have checked this myself.

You'll be in contract if you get a new product (eg phone), get an upgraded modem, or go from not haing a bundle to having a bundle.
    I was in the €47 a month 50 (upgraded to 60Mb) + phone (+ calls after 6 and at weekends free IIRC)

When I rang to go the new €49 100Mb+phone I was told it would start a new 12 month contract.

AFAIK no new modem and going from bundle to bundle = no new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

colm_mcm wrote: »

we sign people up to upc where i work and its in bold letters on the site that we use that if an existing customers wants to upgrade to the new speeds they will be signing into a new 12 month contract, im only talking about the new speeds from yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lario wrote: »
    Why are UPC increasing speeds and not expanding their network?

Because I cheaper to press a virtual "increase speed" button.

we sign people up to upc where i work and its in bold letters on the site that we use that if an existing customers wants to upgrade to the new speeds they will be signing into a new 12 month contract, im only talking about the new speeds from yesterday

Spot on.
    I done it earlier today, from 120mb to 150mb, and yes you do sign on for a new 12 month contract.
    2187310205.png

AFAIK no new modem and going from bundle to bundle = no new contract.

It is on the team site that a change will invoke a new 12 month contract. My fear is that they say the 150mb is not available and if I go to 100 then it's another contract again once it is available.

However I doubt that I'd ever change from UPC for bb.

• Advertisement

Noticed also that the 100mb package has unlimited download but the 150mb specifies 500gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Noticed also that the 100mb package has unlimited download but the 150mb specifies 500gb

somebody in one of the other upc threads rang up about this and they were told that that was a mistake and that all packages have a 500 GB limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I was in the €47 a month 50 (upgraded to 60Mb) + phone (+ calls after 6 and at weekends free IIRC)

When I rang to go the new €49 100Mb+phone I was told it would start a new 12 month contract.

Not wishing to go off-topic, but I believe that off-peak for all telecom companies changed to after 7pm in 2011 because of Eircom changes ... but I am open to correction
    EIRCOM has announced a price hike that will see recession-weary customers face bill increases of an average of 3.1% next month on base rates and out-of-package calls.

The company said it is planning to extend daytime hours as part of the changes which will come into effect on March 11.

Daytime hours will change from 8am-6pm to 7am–7pm including bank holidays, except for existing customers who are already on an off-peak call plan.
    Source: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeyeyideysn/rss2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Rang up customer loyalty. I'd been on the 30mb entry levelpackage and had upgraded to the 50mb medium package. Was wondering if I was going to go from 50 - 100 given that 100 now seems to be the new medium package according to this thread.

Not the case. 30mb is the minimum, 50mb is the medium, 100mb is the max and 150mb is a new 'supermax' package according to the man I spoke to. He doesn't think there will be any new speed upgrades in the medium term either.

So no free increase for me today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

looks like they cleaned up the webpages and removed the 500gb from the "what do i get" sections but the aup still says 500gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

rang upc up to upgrade from 25mb to 50mb..straight forward stuff..he explained that a courier will come with my new modem and take my old modem.

the man also said that if i get rid of upc and dont send them the new modem back then ill be charged 150 euro :eek: 45 euro to rent out their modem?

looks like they cleaned up the webpages and removed the 500gb from the "what do i get" sections but the aup still says 500gb.
    I've been watching the broadband page for a couple of years, so there's a log of any changes here for anyone interested: http://www.changedetection.com/log/ie/upc/broadband_log.html

you can sign up and they'll send you an email any time the page is changed at all and list what's changed for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The 500GB is still mentioned in the Conditions
    The unlimited download allowance is subject to a data transfer allowance of 500GB and UPC’s Acceptable Usage Policy

I love this, I have unlimited download allowance but I can only transfer 500GB in addition to the ACP possibly saying even more restrictions.

I like UPC, I am happy with them but I wish they would just tell the truth in their advertising. I know a novel concept, a company telling the truth about their service. Just call it what is it is, download/upload is limited to 500Gb and not unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I like UPC, I am happy with them but I wish they would just tell the truth in their advertising. I know a novel concept, a company telling the truth about their service. Just call it what is it is, download/upload is limited to 500Gb and not unlimited.

With other companies lying about being unlimited it kind of puts them in a hard spot. If they say 500GB average joe wont know thats loads, they'll just think sure X is unlimited, why would I go for a limited package. In a sense they arent too out of line as its hard to use 500GB unlike eircoms limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

500gb /month what are you downloading???

Advertisement