Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC new bb packages

124»

Comments

bk wrote: »
    Actually Smart is Digiwebs premium brand.

If it is a premium brand it should command a premium price - unless of course the relative prices of Smart and Digiweb offerings have something to do with the extent to which they are available.
    bk wrote: »
    1) UPC
    2) Smart if you are very price sensitive.
    3) Magnet if neither of the above are available
    4) Vodafone DSL only if UPC, Smart or Magnet aren't available

No sign of Eircom on that list, then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Anyway, your take on this reminds me of people who say that Ryanair is unpopular - while failing to take into account the 76 million passenger journeys on the airline last year.
    How does it remind you of that, Ryanair are going for the low cost part of the market - British Airways or Lufthansa which chase the top end of the market; which do you think does best in a recession?
    If UPC are competing badly (or Eircom, for that matter), then they are losing out. If they aren't losing out, then they aren't competing badly. It's that simple.
    That is because their cost increases have only been over the last year - this is the point of the thread - or one of the points.
    What UPC's competitors should be doing is educating the public as to this fact - yes UPC may give you 50Mb but save yourself odd €14 each and every month by choosing a broadband that will work just as quick for the PARTICULAR websites that you use. :)
    "Our product is worse than theirs - but that's OK because you don't really need anything better!" Yep, sure sounds good. :rolleyes:
    Perhaps you might re-read what I said - for many people there is NO difference in their browsing speeds because of what they use the internet for - therefore their product is NOT worse than UPC for these users. They are only inferior products for many people who NEED higher speeds (and download a lot) given the price margin.

Ulysses1874, if you are so certain, as you seem to suggest, that UPC is a better product for everyone in Ireland, even after including the price margin, I challenge you to test the significance of the download difference across all 4 providers, because I think it would be interesting to know.

Let us work at 4 broadband providers
    - Cunnijo's average 27Mb on Digiweb Metro for €30
    - byronbay2's 16Mb with Smart for €35
    - O'Prez's 10.5Mb with Vodafone for €30
    - and my own UPC 48Mb for €44

To conduct any test, we need an indepedent survey of the top 25 most visited websites in Ireland - and the size of the respective webpages. Here is one such site - I'm open to the use of any competiting site you wish to put forward. I make the average webpage size to be (24.4528KB). Can you tell us in seconds the difference across all 4 providers to download the average webpage size?

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/IE
    1 google.ie (26.72 KB)
    2 google.com (26.72 KB)
    3 facebook.com (10.73 KB)
    4 youtube.com (16.86 KB)
    5 yahoo.com (44.24 KB)
    6 wikipedia.org (11.32 KB)
    7 linkedin.com (7.2 KB)
    8 live.com (10.98 KB)
    9 twitter.com (12.86 KB)
    10 bbc.co.uk (24.17 KB)
    11 blogspot.ie (10.76 KB)
    12 rte.ie (12.4 KB)
    13 ebay.ie (8.72 KB)
    14 DoneDeal.ie (8.86 KB)
    15 Amazon.co.uk (26.89 KB)
    16 aib.ie (48.06 KB)
    17 independent.ie (39.44 KB)
    18 Amazon.com (44.49 KB)
    19 irishtimes.com (20.67 KB)
    20 boards.ie (8.09 KB)
    21 dailymail.co.uk (79.26 KB)
    22 PayPal.com (5.58 KB)
    23 Daft.ie (23.2 KB)
    24 WordPress.com (77.61 KB)
    25 365online.com (5.49 KB)

How does it remind you of that, Ryanair are going for the low cost part of the market - British Airways or Lufthansa which chase the top end of the market; which do you think does best in a recession?

It might be the airline that offers the fastest speed; or the airline that offers the lowest price; or maybe the airline that bundles your flight with home phone and digital HD TV. I dunno, really.

Are UPC losing customers? Or is it just the case that you think they should be losing customers, based on your analysis of what you perceive to be their sales strategies?

That is because their cost increases have only been over the last year - this is the point of the thread - or one of the points.

Whose? UPC? They've increased their rates in most years since the recession started - usually around September.

if you are so certain, as you seem to suggest, that UPC is a better product for everyone in Ireland

Got a link or a quote for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Ulysses1874, if you are so certain, as you seem to suggest, that UPC is a better product for everyone in Ireland,
    Got a link or a quote for that?
    It was my interpretation of what you meant in your post below.
    Where I live is UPCland. The only possible reasons for having another provider are:

(i) you don't want a phone;
    (ii) you prefer satellite TV;
    (iii) you don't mind slow connection speeds;
    (iv) you aren't particularly rational or clued in.
    But look, I have made my point, and don't wish to derail the thread anymore on others - i just wanted to bring it to people's attention that for many people - this price increase is not necessarily good news.

It was my interpretation of what you meant in your post below.

My post was valid for where I live. It also seems to be valid for where you live. ;)

Whether that means it is valid for anyone else is a point for debate

But look, I have made my point, and don't wish to derail the thread anymore on others - i just wanted to bring it to people's attention that for many people - this price increase is not necessarily good news.

Price increases aren't good news for anyone, and I've had at least 3 (possibly 4) from UPC since 2008. However, you also made the point that UPC were, in effect, making a mistake from a competitive point of view. They aren't, or at least there's no evidence to suggest that they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement