Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone's baby on a ventolin inhaler

Options
  • 17-09-2012 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Just when all was going well for the last few weeks, my 9 month old was wheezing and coughing today. Poor pet has bronchialitis, tonsillitis and needs an inhaler plus an antibiotic.
    Has anyone been through this? Any useful hints / tips?

I could cry as he was doing so well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Hi there,
    My little fella(17 months) was on antibiotics and an inhaler a little over a week ago.
    He had a throat and chest infection and was very wheezy!
    Good as new now.
    I used to try and get him occupied with something(usually mickey mouse clubhouse) before attempting to use the inhaler!....or otherwise use it when he was asleep.
    Hopefully he is feeling better soon!
    Aside....I think it was you who was looking for C&G wheaty biscs a little while ago....but they were definitely in the new boots in blanchardstown this weekend.....just in case you hadnt found them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Hi its the same here. Its very hard to hear them struggling to catch their breath :(

Thanks for the hint re Blanch. I had called them and they said there was none in stock and unlikely to be. C&G advised its no longer being made but I might pop out to blanch to get the last few.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Our fella was on the Atrovent inhaler and nebulizer due to bronchiolitis when he was 6 months, and then when he had colds up to a year. We used to make a game of it - Mummy did it (obviously not squirting inhaler), teddy did it, baby did it. He didn't get the counting the breaths at all, so we used to count to ten at a slow enough pace that he'd always have enough done, and then we all cheered! He hated it the first few times as he was very traumatised by having the oxygen mask on all the time in hospital, but he got used to it very fast and used to smile away while we were doing it.

Re doing it in sleep, you'd want to check your instructions page. We had to make him sit up very straight, which at 6 months was hard at times; got easier as he got older. Same with the nebulizer; had to wake him up and sit him up in the middle of the night for it. Hopefully ventolin isn't as precise about positioning!

Main thing anyway is he's grand now at 13 mths. Just had a rotten cough and cold, but didn't wheeze at all so GP says we can leave the inhaler off for future colds unless something changes. :-) Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

My eldest is 4 and been on inhalers since he was 12 months. we were very lucky he took to them great and i used to tickle him when giving them as he'd breath in even deeper

Thanks all.

He was up all night coughing and hope the antibiotic kicks in soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We have just been through this...nightmare! One issue that we had was that we were using the inhaler to treat the 'wheeze', which is a symptom, but if we used it too much it made him hyper and he was buzzing around the place which made him even more breathless. So we had to carry him a lot and make sure he didn't over exert himself and make himself worse. Also, I'm sure you've figured this out but the thing has to make the funny squeaky noise when they breathe in or they're not getting it right. I was doing it wrong for the first night and he was just getting more and more uncomfortable.

If he's on antibiotics you might consider giving him a probiotic yoghurt to replace the good bacteria that are being killed off, or if he's not on dairy yet you can get kids probiotics supplements from a health shop or pharmacy.

Best of luck- this too shall pass!

Rosy Posy wrote: »

If he's on antibiotics you might consider giving him a probiotic yoghurt to replace the good bacteria that are being killed off, or if he's not on dairy yet you can get kids probiotics supplements from a health shop or pharmacy.

Thanks will talk to pharmacist as he is lactose intolerent with reflux - the joys..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Udos choice do an infant probiotic powder ya can get in pharmacies! Think it has to be kept in the fridge tho! Think u can also use erceflora caps ( opened and sprinkled onto food) but check with your pharmacist! Think there's a few others 2!

Poor babies with the inhalers - my nephew was on nebuliser for ages - so hard to get him to stay put!!
    Trying to get them to drink water after the steroid inhalers/ nebules can help prevent the sore mouth!

Advertisement