Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 Accident 16/9

Options
  • 17-09-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Does anyone know anything about a crash on the M9, about 5 miles after Exit 4 (Carlow), heading to Dublin, around lunchtime yesterday? There were a number of Ambulance, Fire Service and Garda vehicles at the scene and it looked like there were fatalities, but nothing has been reported anywhere yet.

Beginning to hope it was all a big training exercise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pelluci wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about a crash on the M9, about 5 miles after Exit 4 (Carlow), heading to Dublin, around lunchtime yesterday? There were a number of Ambulance, Fire Service and Garda vehicles at the scene and it looked like there were fatalities, but nothing has been reported anywhere yet.

Beginning to hope it was all a big training exercise
    Could it have been a lorry or car on fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pelluci

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Could it have been a lorry or car on fire?

It was a car (silver Opel Tigra or Ford Puma I think), but no fire, although I only took a quick glance until I saw what I think were bodies covered by clear plastic. The thing is, they were all sitting upright in their seats, so maybe (hopefully) they were dummies but through the plastic they seemed pretty life like. Also, the car was facing the wrong way in the overtaking lane and the barrier was pretty banged up in the hard shoulder about 100 - 200 metres before it.

It was a car (silver Opel Tigra or Ford Puma I think), but no fire, although I only took a quick glance until I saw what I think were bodies covered by clear plastic. The thing is, they were all sitting upright in their seats, so maybe (hopefully) they were dummies but through the plastic they seemed pretty life like. Also, the car was facing the wrong way in the overtaking lane and the barrier was pretty banged up in the hard shoulder about 100 - 200 metres before it.
    They were possible trapped in the car and waiting for the roof to be removed so they could be transferred to spinal boards? after hitting the barrier and spinning around they possibly had back and nect pain so precautions would be taken by the emergency services.

They were possible trapped in the car and waiting for the roof to be removed so they could be transferred to spinal boards? after hitting the barrier and spinning around they possibly had back and nect pain so precautions would be taken by the emergency services.

Hopefully that's the case. What makes me fear the worst is the fact that the plastic was covering the people, rather than being over the car (remembering I only took a quick glance, it seemed that it would be difficult to breathe). It's all a bit odd, but I'll take it that it was non fatal, so there'll be no reports.

Hopefully that's the case. What makes me fear the worst is the fact that the plastic was covering the people, rather than being over the car (remembering I only took a quick glance, it seemed that it would be difficult to breathe). It's all a bit odd, but I'll take it that it was non fatal, so there'll be no reports.
    This was possible a blanket of some kind used by the fire service to protect the occupants of the car when the glass is being broken and roof being cut off.

• Advertisement

This was possible a blanket of some kind used by the fire service to protect the occupants of the car when the glass is being broken and roof being cut off.

That makes sense. It was weird that they were all still in their seats. If it were .ore serious they'd have been laid out getting CPR etc.

Thanks for that, Foggy. I can get the image of dead people wrapped in plastic out of my head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

came upon this just after it happened yesterday, it appears that the car hit the crash barrier, turn around and then hit the concrete median.

Think there was only the female driver in the car, she was conscious and talking to those who had stopped to help.

There was a heavy shower of rain at the time and the road was quite slippy.

Advertisement