Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Set Top box?

• 17-09-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Since Ireland is going digital at last - i'm going to scrap my sky package and switch over to a set top box to get all the free to air channels etc.

So which set top box should I get?

I plan to buy the box and set it up myself - should be reletivaly straight forward no?

What models are there? Are there any where I can record tv and watch it later ala sky+?

Budget would be circa €200 - so that within 4-5 months it would have paid for itself.

Have fairly fresh cabling & satellite dish from sky install 2 years ago

Advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blackbra32

Do you have an aerial ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 podge-delsol

couple wire hangers alright!
    have a 32" HD ready tv with HDMI cables galore in sitting room & old skool 21" analog tv in bedroom with a €2 shop aerial...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Blackbra32

Just so you know that you will need an aerial to get the irish stations, alot of people think that they can get them on the free to air dish like with sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭swoofer

just wait a bit longer ie closer to switch off, more boxes will be out, and if you can get tv3 with existing coat hanger then you will be ok for saorview. there is a combo box due out where you can add an internal sata drive and that should allow you to record one and watch another eg record a sat channel and watch a terrestial. If you cant get tv3 then you need a new aerial either in loft or chimney. look at satellite.ie, an aerial on there got rave reports. 200 euro is grand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    If you cant get tv3 then you need a new aerial either in loft or chimney.

Plenty of the Saorview transmitters never broadcast analogue TV3. Some never transmitted any analogue. Also, 13 sites aren't even switched on yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement