Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clapping

• 17-09-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

I just watched a youtube clip from one of those Simon Cowell TV 'talent' shows and noticed that a large number of people in the audience were clapping/yelling DURING the performers act. This seems 'normal' these days.

If I was in the audience and one of those morons was beside me, I'd have a hard time stopping myself from kindly asking them to 'keep it down'.

It makes me wonder...if you like a performance, why the hell would you want to make a load of noise during it? Why not shut the hell up,enjoy the performance and then show your appreciation at the end?

Am I just being an old grump, or do I have a point?

Should people be quiet during a performance? 41 votes

No...stop being a grumpy git
    0% 0 votes
    Yes...you sir, have an excellent point
    19% 8 votes
    I want to 'pet' Michael D Higgins.
    80% 33 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Something that's died a death is passengers clapping when a plane lands.

No-one ever clapped a bus driver or train driver if he got in on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Thank god. That actually embarrasses me!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Try going to an ACDC concert & not going mental clapping, singing, roaring, jumping etc.
    You want peace & quiet? Stay at home with a cd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I just watched a youtube clip from one of those Simon Cowell TV 'talent' shows and noticed that a large number of people in the audience were clapping/yelling DURING the performers act. This seems 'normal' these days.

If I was in the audience and one of those morons was beside me, I'd have a hard time stopping myself from kindly asking them to 'keep it down'.

It makes me wonder...if you like a performance, why the hell would you want to make a load of noise during it? Why not shut the hell up,enjoy the performance and then show your appreciation at the end?

*sniggers* :pac:

smash wrote: »

You're a pilot? :confused:

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    You're a pilot? :confused:
    Yea, I'm texting any flying now.

Show off :rolleyes:

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Sent that post from the cloud! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I have never, ever experienced this. Why do people always go on about it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The editing is horrific on those shows when they pick and mix audience reactions to contestants.

• Advertisement

Quorum wrote: »
    I have never, ever experienced this. Why do people always go on about it? :confused:

Nerves.
    A lot of people clap because they are happy to be alive.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Depends on at what stage that clip was filmed. If it was well into the season and it was a knockout round or semi finals then by that stage people know which act they like and vocally support it. Much the same as people shouting and yelling at a concert. Having said that it could be a real possibility that the producers are encouraging the audience to do this (they do actually have the applause signs in these venues).

Probably best you stick to watching your mid-afternoon stories and continue to crochet, it will help calm the nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Nerves.
    Also it's probably a hangover from when people only went on planes for their holidays. It's like "Hooray our holiday starts now!"

Also it's probably a hangover from when people only went on planes for their holidays. It's like "Hooray our holiday starts now!"
    I thought they only did it when they land at home, like they're happy to be home for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

People still clap on planes sometimes.

The Italians and Spanish are terrible for it, especially the youngsters.

I think they're probably taking the piss, usually, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Normal flights from A to B with a proper airline i have never been on 1 where the passengers started clapping.

I guess the clapping after landing is exclusive to holiday charter flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Quorum wrote: »

Have you been on a plane before?

Up until very recently it was ridiculously popular, particularly on sun holiday charter flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Only ever experienced that once, and then it was because of an exceptionally smooth landing. We were all waiting for the 'bump', and next we knew the plane was slowing down and taxiing.

If he'd just turned off the seatbelt sign, he'd have got a standing ovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The editing is horrific on those shows when they pick and mix audience reactions to contestants.

They obviously think we're all eejits. Ever see the way the camera goes to one of the judges faces during a really bad performance and they have this exagerated look of shock and horror on their face? You're like, oh come on, is this actually a surprise? How long have you been doing this show? And we all know you know the camera is on you!!

hardCopy wrote: »
    Have you been on a plane before?

Yup, many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

'tis almost as bad as people talking at a gig...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Both times I was at Trailer Park Boys live show there was a group of fellas from Northern Ireland in the audience shouting extremely loud during the whole show. They musta been on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

kfallon wrote: »
    *sniggers* :pac:

racist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Your just being a grump but you do have a point

Ficheall wrote: »
    'tis almost as bad as people talking at a gig...

Or when you're at a gig and someone behind you is loudly making guitar noises constantly, drowning out the sound of the actual guitar playing, as happened to me at Radiohead a while back. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nerves.

Or because they just got thrown a fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I went to a music festival years ago. I think I was the only person that wasn't screaming and shouting. I'd rather show my appreciation for someones music by actually listening to it.

At one point the bass player from the Violent Femmes was walking around the stage looking at audience members. He looked directly at me and he must have wondered why I was just standing there silently rather than screaming like everyone else. I was transfixed by the great sound he was getting from his one-string bass guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

It's probably a hangover from when planes were made of balsa wood, canvas and wire and held together with chewing gum and spit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

It's even worse listening to someone's live album and you get some tard in the audience ruining the tension in a quiet part of the song with an obnoxious "whoot". Recorded and preserved forever, for millions of people to hear over and over again you complete douche bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

depends on what kinda band it is- but usually I'd dance, sing, clap along- most performers want this rather than people sit/stand there in silence

Mind you if I was at a Simon Cowell talent show thing I'd be to busy pushing rusty nails into my ears to clap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

WOOP WOOP *Claps Yeeeeeeeeeeha

Couldn't read your post with all the background noise but no, I've never had the clap, does it itch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I read it wrong, I thought it was clamping, then I pictured people clapping as someone removed the clamp from their vecular, not having to give the shiits the fee required,

clapping, clamping, strapped on sex disease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I was on a train in the UK and the driver came on and gave the "this is your train driver speaking" intro and then proceeded to talk for 2-3 minutes casually in the manner of a pilot.

Advertisement