Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bar for families for the big match

Options
  • 17-09-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys,
    We're thinking of hitting Donegal town for the big match as we dont seem to have a hope in getting a ticket so where do you guys reckon would be the best pubs/hotels for a young family as Im under the impression there is no big screen to be set up outside, Can anyone suggest anything?
    Cheers,
    COME ON DONEGAL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

I thought I heard that the bosco centre was opening for the match with a big screen but I may be wrong on that!!!

Dom's Pier 1 or the abbey hotel would be the best bet for people with young ones around, allthough I would say everywhere will be packed come throw in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

i heard there will be a big screen on the diamond. the bosco opened for last years croker games (with a BYOB and a few euro in deal, 5e in my head but it was open to haggling), dont know about this year. id imagine it is though. Eddie said there was plenty of famlies there though and a good crowd.
    Doms probably is the best, tvs all around... "the look out" part above the main bar will probably be the least packed although you will have to be there early enough to get a table at the edge with a view to the bigger tvs in the main bar... only a small one in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I've done the abbey hotel on AI final day, its great as they have loads of tvs scattered about.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dom's will be getting some more big screens in for the game.

It'll be interested to see if there will be a big screen on the Diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Get to the Abbey early, head upstairs for a view of the big screen. Kids should hopefully have an unobstructed view as most of the standing/seated space is around the sides due alot of it being a balconly overlooking the downstairs bar.

A few ledges for them to stand/sit on as well up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ballyshannon apparently are having a big screen

may have to retract my big screen on diamond... was told the council were written to and they wrote back saying it would happen but hearing one particular person wasnt in favour and probably isnt going to happen... and he would be making a f load of the weekend anyway... just doesnt have a offy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Are there going to be any big screens in Letterkenny or Ballybofey? Haven't seen anything mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Are there going to be any big screens in Letterkenny or Ballybofey? Haven't seen anything mentioned.

The Orchard have put a huge marque in the back car park, with the big screen at one end of it, they have facepainting ect too for kids on the day and the big Donegal Winnie the Poo thats atop the pulse will be there on ground level for people to take photos with.

Although be warned to anyone going to the pub with kid's ect the Liverpool V United game is on at 1.30 and them games tend to get.... umm... animated even in pub's ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Might head to the Orchard then. Going to be absolutely packed though so need to be there early.

• Advertisement
    byte

overshoot wrote: »
    may have to retract my big screen on diamond... was told the council were written to and they wrote back saying it would happen but hearing one particular person wasnt in favour and probably isnt going to happen... and he would be making a f load of the weekend anyway... just doesnt have a offy:rolleyes:
    Ah, that's a shame, that narrows it down to one or two who object... shame :(

Meanwhile, I hope at least one pub will have the Liverpool v Man Utd game that starts at 1.30 - maybe the Abbey. Intend to watch both if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I hope at least one pub will have the Liverpool v Man Utd game that starts at 1.30 - maybe the Abbey. Intend to watch both if I can.
    The timing is probably perfect for anyone wanting to see both games. The pool/utd game should be over around 3:20'ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Is being shown in Letterkenny cinema. They also had the semi-final and I heard there was a good atmosphere at it and it suited those who didn't want to bring children to a pub.
    It is free in but you need a ticket and they may not have many left.

byte wrote: »
    Ah, that's a shame, that narrows it down to one or two who object... shame :(

im hearing fooking everything now... latest is he is the one putting up the screens weather permitting... so ignore everything i say in other words... feckin word of mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

im hearing fooking everything now... latest is he is the one putting up the screens weather permitting... so ignore everything i say in other words... feckin word of mouth!
    banned 'til Monday :D

byte

Ah, well, we'll see in good time.

Dom's had an ad in Donegal Times about having 17 screens for the big game.

muffler wrote: »
    banned 'til Monday :D
    ok:( it may be wednesday anyway til i make it back;)

reveller has a marquee out the side with some beer taps in it... seen this with my own eyes last night!

byte

There's a sign up advertising that the St. John Bosco Centre will be showing the game too on a big screen.

I'm sure it'll be a more family oriented venue, like the last time they'd a game on. Handy if you've kids and don't fancy taking them into the pubs.

Advertisement