Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo recovery help

• 17-09-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

Thought you guys might be able to help me with this.

Just returned from travelling with about 1,000 photos on my 32gb SD card. Was browsing the photos on my laptop when a message popped up saying I had to format the card. I was then unable to access any of the photos. I put the card back into the camera and it gave me an error message.

I've downloaded the free version of Recuva, but when I try select the drive (Removable disc G) I get a pop up that says I need to format. If I cancel that I get an error message that says: "G is not accessible. The Volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

If I ignore that and go ahead, Recuva tells me "the Path does not exist."

If I ask Recuva to scan all removable discs it says "unable to read boot sector."

Any ideas? Would be heartbreaking to lose all my photos.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Try the trial editions of a few different programs sounds to me like that software is just ****. Good programs will image the card then search the image for files to recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

+1 for do not use the card in the camera again.

I have used SanDisk Rescue Pro before with good results.

What brand is the card, and where did you get it - I've only heard of people having these issues with weird brand cards, or fake ones from ebay, never with real SanDisk or other good brands.

32Gb is a massive card - hope all is not lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I use RECUVA and it hasn't failed me yet. Are you using a PC ?
    I will send you a disc with the program if you cannot manage to download it for free that works.
    Do the deep scan
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

+1 for recuva, it's fantastic ... hasn't failed me yet either .

www.recuva.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Another vote for recuva here - I recovered 1000 plus photos from a deleted memory card after my laptop (and contents) were stolen. Lost a few photos due to the fact that I'd taken a few shots after I deleted the card, but most were recovered without problem.

Be prepared though - the format message could indicate a physical problem with the card, and there may be nothing you can do about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

A year or so ago I had a corrupted card that I tried using loads of software on but card kept locking up pc, I talked to a man that knew a man and card was sent off to another man ( a lot of men here folks) in Waterford , he basically took card to bits and re soldered connectors or something like that and got all photos back . Card was destroyed, cost was about 60/70 I think, but if it's worth it and you have no other options then all good.

I think the card was a memory stick pro , but seems the same as a sd

I can pass on the number of the 1st man (lol)
    Good luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, you may have to face up to the possibility that the card is hosed.
    i know it's a bit late, but if you do have to replace it, best spend an extra couple of bob and get 4 8GB cards. don't put all your eggs in one basket...

Advertisement