Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of toys gone Mental ?

Options
  • 17-09-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just received the new Smyths catalogue and all i can say is im godsmacked at the price of some of the plastic flimsy toys. I have old catalogues about the house and going to compare prices.. for example 'Old mac Donnalds farm and tractor set' was 29.00 last year, this year it is 39.99!!!! am i the only one who thinks this needs to be addressed and the toy companies need to lower their prices? I know there is reductions on in some shops but come on were all feeling the pinch maybe they should respect that. Is it cheaper to buy 'up the North' ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Be thankful, wait till they hit the teenage years....The price of Holister and Abercombie, Mobile phones, credit is unreal...You will want to return to the cheap flimsy plastic toy days..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ladybird.12

Oh im well aware of that and dread the fact but really if we all take on the attitude of such is life we will get nowhere. Rang the NCA and they said there is no regulation to toy companies and the price they charge. This i think is scandalous :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just received the new Smyths catalogue and all i can say is im godsmacked at the price of some of the plastic flimsy toys. I have old catalogues about the house and going to compare prices.. for example 'Old mac Donnalds farm and tractor set' was 29.00 last year, this year it is 39.99!!!! am i the only one who thinks this needs to be addressed and the toy companies need to lower their prices? I know there is reductions on in some shops but come on were all feeling the pinch maybe they should respect that. Is it cheaper to buy 'up the North' ?

When you factor in the price of petrol these days, your "Up The North" solution is not much cheaper. Best thing you can do is shop around look out for the sales that stores like Tesco and Heatons have on their toys, there will be bargains around if you keep your eyes open and shop smart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Try not buying them. Lots cheaper.

Try not buying them. Lots cheaper.

Bring them to santa's Grave instead! haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Actually I was thinking the exact same thing when I looked through the catalogue. Its like they just put everything up a tenner. I am almost finish Santa so I wont be hit as bad. I normally shop the sales in July / August. Argos are doing a 3 for 2 next week which will be handy for anyone with the cash ready. Word of advice to anyone planning to take advantage of the 3 for 2. Don't put all the items on the same slip. Buy in 3's in or around the same price as they will just take off the cheapest item free.

Hi Love2Love i rang Smyths and they said there was a price increase due to production costs.. same old story. Good idea about argos .Might just start next week so if i can get my monkeys to make up their minds and not change them !

Advertisement