Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Many Games Is Too Many Games

• 17-09-2012 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Just looking at my game collection, weeding out the weak to trade in/sell. I still have 30 PS3 games, it still seems like too much as I never can focus on one game because in my mind there are other games that i a; haven't completed, b; only played once and never played it again and c; have to have a game from every genre such as fps, fighter, sports, rpg, platformer, action adventure. So my question to all of you is do you realise you have too many games or do you like having a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

i like having a lot but they have to be good games i like and will play everynow and then. for instance in my 30+ ps3 i have a gundam game i picked up because it was only €3. played it once and threw it aside where its being sitting ever since.

IMHO you only have too many when you wont play them all and have them just to have them. if you're going to play every single one and get enjoyment out of them then you dont have enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

LiamKK1982 wrote: »
    Just looking at my game collection, weeding out the weak to trade in/sell. I still have 30 PS3, it still seems like too much as I never can focus on one game because in my mind there are other games that i a; haven't completed, b; only played once and never played it again and c; have to have a game from every genre such as fps, fighter, sports, rpg, platformer, action adventure. So my question to all of you is do you realise you have too many games or do you like having a lot.

30 is by no means alot. think I have that in my "currently playing depending on my mood". I've another 200 or so to go with that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

i like having a lot but they have to be good games i like and will play everynow and then. for instance in my 30+ ps3 i have a gundam game i picked up because it was only €3. played it once and threw it aside where its being sitting ever since. IMHO you only have too many when you wont play them all and have them just to have them. if you're going to play every single one and get enjoyment out of them then you dont have enough :)
    Ive stopped buying games now got only 1 so far this year I just wont get around to playing them all . My collection consists of the best games on the system through all the genres . Dont rightly know the exact number but its 80 + and half need finishing. So yes I have reached the enough is enough stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You've not heard or Steam Sales ? ,
    Most of us PC Gamers would have huge collections at this stage.

STEAM profile says 270 , and that doesn't include non steam games, Xbox 360 etc.

But it's a collector thing these days too....if you see a good one on sale, just buy it...or that's what STEAM has taught us :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

LiamKK1982 wrote: »
    Just looking at my game collection, weeding out the weak to trade in/sell. I still have 30 PS3 games, it still seems like too much as I never can focus on one game because in my mind there are other games that i a; haven't completed, b; only played once and never played it again and c; have to have a game from every genre such as fps, fighter, sports, rpg, platformer, action adventure. So my question to all of you is do you realise you have too many games or do you like having a lot.

Gotta agree with you on that one. Its not often i get a chance to use my ps3 but when i do i never know what to focus on. Getting new games that i simply need to play just adds to the pile of uncompleted games.

in my case i have about 11 games

I also have ocarina of time for my 3ds, gathering dust for the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I have 300+ games, and I'm by no means, finished buying. I'm a collector, so I'm constantly on the lookout for more game, and I'm constantly bundling them up. There are a few in my collection that I've never gotten around to playing, but there rainy day will come.
    i like having a lot but they have to be good games i like and will play everynow and then. for instance in my 30+ ps3 i have a gundam game i picked up because it was only €3. played it once and threw it aside where its being sitting ever since.

I actually enjoy doing that. I often buy games that I know damn well will be conplete rubbish, just to have a bit of a chuckle with them. Also, amidst some sh1te cheap games, I find a few gems that I never would have considered playing otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Luckily, i don't have a gaming PC at the moment so i've avoided Steam thus far, but that will change eventually.

As for the consoles, i've spent a lot of money and played hundreds of games. Have i completed them all? No. If a game doesn't hold me it probably won't get finished and get traded in (Dark Souls, Bomberman: Act Zero, etc). Games that really hold me get kept (both Batman games, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, etc).

I don't have a huge collection of games as growing up has thought me that trading in means i can buy more, but i used to have huge collections (over 250 PS1 games at one stage).

I don't think i'll ever have enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i get around 5 new games a year ( 3 outta the 5 for xmas :P )
    but i always ending up trading in half way through the year
    so far ive got 1 game and 2 broken games :) so 3 or 1 what ever you prefer haha
    i use to have over 200 meself years ago, on the ps2,ps1 and the xbox (old one) until i relised i could trade them in for new games
    thats were it all went down hill

edit : sorry forgot i had about 30 pc games, and about 10 off steam :)
    cant trade them in so im stuck with them ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

deathrider wrote: »
    I have 300+ games, and I'm by no means, finished buying. I'm a collector, so I'm constantly on the lookout for more game, and I'm constantly bundling them up. There are a few in my collection that I've never gotten around to playing, but there rainy day will come.

I actually enjoy doing that. I often buy games that I know damn well will be conplete rubbish, just to have a bit of a chuckle with them. Also, amidst some sh1te cheap games, I find a few gems that I never would have considered playing otherwise.

completely agree
    i bought a game i think it was released 2-3 years ago probably more
    for christmas
    it was a viking type game, with biggish army battles and evil orc type monsters (not lord of the rings) but i loved it have to say it was well worth the money paid for it, when in reality i would of never considered even buying it let alone look at the case cause it looked ****e hah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Erm...

I have... a few, yes, a few games and consoles in my collection.

Maybe... 50 odd consoles and handhelds, over 250 PS2 games, everything I want on the N64, 30 odd GC, 30 Xbox, PSone we're looking at 80/100 not sure.
    The MD has about 40 or so, I think.
    The Snes the same.
    The GB maybe 20 or so.
    The GBA I've got a decent collection, 50 maybe.
    DS collection is quite large too, 40 titles or so.
    3DS is looking like 20.
    3DO has about 15.
    32X is small enough, 8 perhaps.
    Jaguar has about 10.
    2600 has about 15 or 20.
    7800 has about 8 dedicated titles.
    Coleco has about 8 as well.
    Vectrex has 1! And a flash cart, so everything is on there.
    Amiga CD32, I don't think I own any original titles, just backups... :(
    Nuon, just 2, and one of them is Tempest 3000!
    TG-16, used to have 8 or 9 but sold them once I got a TurboEverdrive, and now I have access to the entire back catalogue!
    Virtual Boy, I have 9 or 10 for that.
    More machines than that but can't remember off hand!

Current gen I have
    360, with about 40 or 50 titles.
    No PS3 anymore since it went YLOD and I can't find one good reason to buy one again.
    Wii, I have 10 or 15 titles, plus a hdd.... pardon me vicar....

So, that's quite a few to be going on with.
    And it's far far too much!

Problem is that you need discipline at this stage, the discipline to apply yourself to one game at a time, finish it and move on to the next one.
    If you flit between titles or consoles you barely get a taste of a game on each and get disillusioned.

I just finished COD:MW3, before that was BF3.
    Now I'm nearly finished Resident Evil Revelations.
    Next I am going to try and get LA Noire done and dusted.
    Follow that with Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2, maybe Rule of Rose as well.

And on top of that I have stuff I bought this year for every format that has gone untouched, like Deus Ex, Driver:SF and Cave Story 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I am so jealous of your console collection... :(

saiint wrote: »
    completely agree
    i bought a game i think it was released 2-3 years ago probably more
    for christmas
    it was a viking type game, with biggish army battles and evil orc type monsters (not lord of the rings) but i loved it have to say it was well worth the money paid for it, when in reality i would of never considered even buying it let alone look at the case cause it looked ****e hah

I happened upon PS1 game lately called Future Cop L.A.P.D for 1euro. Though I'd buy it just for giggles, and have a few jams on it. Brought it home, stuck it in the old console, fired it up, and was blown away!! Amazingly fun game. I couldn't believe I'd enever heard of it before. It's those little gems :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I stopped counting one day when I checked my bank statement against my eBay profile :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Erm...
    Problem is that you need discipline at this stage, the discipline to apply yourself to one game at a time, finish it and move on to the next one.
    If you flit between titles or consoles you barely get a taste of a game on each and get disillusioned.

And that is the biggest problem for me. I have about 20 games installed and used to just hop from game to game without ever investing enough time in the story/setting to get hooked.

Getting better at in now though i still play mulitple games but now I have one as my main game and the rest are just pick up, play and forget such as FIFA when I want a change.
    deathrider wrote: »
    I happened upon PS1 game lately called Future Cop L.A.P.D for 1euro. Though I'd buy it just for giggles, and have a few jams on it. Brought it home, stuck it in the old console, fired it up, and was blown away!! Amazingly fun game. I couldn't believe I'd enever heard of it before. It's those little gems :)

Used to love that game. Spent many hours playing the co-op mode but do remember it being a tough game.

Used to love that game. Spent many hours playing the co-op mode but do remember it being a tough game.

Yeah, it ain't easy, but it's certainly entertaining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I haven't the slighted clue how many games I have.
    After gaming for 20 years I probably several hundred at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Too many, have a few games where I just grew tired of them and never completed them. I just leave them sitting there in the vain hope that I'll someday return to them when I've nothing better to do.

Then there's the thousands of roms of arcade and consoles.

I think this sums us up:
    82792868.jpg

Advertisement