Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a suit in Tesco

• 17-09-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭

I seriously need to get a suit but I am also seriously low on funds and am considering going to Tesco to see what their suits are like. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Mens suit BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Or maybe Penneys would be a bit better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Marks and Spencers sell cheap suits too. Not the best but will do you for a one-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

Dunnes do great suits too and they aren't too costly. My dad bought one when we were in their a while ago, looks great and you'd never think it was a "cheap" suit.

I mostly buy my suits in M&S but they cost on average about 380 quid, which is way beyond my budget.

Do you mean the "washable" ones? I suppose so...

Will try Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

What's your budget. Diffney have a decent ocassional wear suit for 160.

• Advertisement

I'm not exactly Mr. Refined or Distinguished, and I never wear suits, really, but I got a black shirt and black slacks in Penneys before and they were great. A friend got the exact same stuff a little while later and he thought they were fantastic, too (should probably point out that this was about 4-5 years ago, though).

My Dad got a suit from Tesco a while ago and thought it was grand. He wasn't full of praise for it, now, but he couldn't really complain about it either.

Suppose everyone will have a differing opinion, but I thought Penneys were grand, and their stuff is great for a semi-formal look (never wore an actual 'suit' of theirs, so can't comment on it directly, but I'd say they're definitely worth a mooch).

What's your budget. Diffney have a decent ocassional wear suit for 160.

Literally, as cheap as possible. If I can get a suit for 50 quid, I will.

Even if its a bad fit, I can get it tailored.

I'm not exactly Mr. Refined or Distinguished, and I never wear suits, really, but I got a black shirt and black slacks in Penneys before and they were great. A friend got the exact same stuff a little while later and he thought they were fantastic, too (should probably point out that this was about 4-5 years ago, though).

My Dad got a suit from Tesco a while ago and thought it was grand. He wasn't full of praise for it, now, but he couldn't really complain about it either.

Suppose everyone will have a differing opinion, but I thought Penneys were grand, and their stuff is great for a semi-formal look (never wore an actual 'suit' of theirs, so can't comment on it directly, but I'd say they're definitely worth a mooch).

Thanks, I'll defo check out Penneys, I had never bought anything in there until this year, when I got jeans and a t shirt and also some jocks and stuff for going on holidays, and they were grand!

The suit would need to be fairly robust as I'll be wearing it every day (at least until I can afford a second one) :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Tesco then. Their stuff is a little better made.

You mentioned previously buying m&s, might be better to get am older one tailored if they're still in good nick?

Tesco then. Their stuff is a little better made.

You mentioned previously buying m&s, might be better to get am older one tailored if they're still in good nick?

They've just gone shiny. Can't really do anything with the material I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

H&M!

A whole suit is around €90 if you can stretch to it, their cut is incredible, much more like an edgy off saville row one. Plus the fabrics are pretty good. If not Tesco aren't half bad,

It's not so much the fabric that gives away a cheap suit but a bad cut, you know where the person looks like they are wearing their older brother's suit to the debs? Just make sure to try whatever you are buying try it on first and bring someone who can check you out from behind! The shoulders are vitally important for the fit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I got one in Aldi in rossie town about .6 months ago, they were there for a good few weeks but haven't seem them now in a while. I think it was either 60 or 70. I wore it to three weedings this summer and git a load if complements....one young one even told me it looked like a designer armanji one. It still looks perfect and have washed it once, can't go wrong for the money, good luck for the new job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The bargain basement in Arnotts can be good for suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Keep an eye on the clearance rail at TK Maxx, you can be lucky sometimes.

Advertisement