Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing concrete path up against external render/plasterwork

• 17-09-2012 2:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the best way to remove a 5 inch thick concrete path and not break off the external render at the bottom of a wall??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zathan

Cut the concrete path with a consaw/angle grinder tight to the bottom of the wall where the render meets it - you may need to do it at an angle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

zathan wrote: »
    Cut the concrete path with a consaw/angle grinder tight to the bottom of the wall where the render meets it - you may need to do it at an angle.

Thanks.:)

Im looking to get that concrete strip removed and continue the block paving from the driveway up the rest of the side.

The last thing I need or want is the plaster/render being knocked off at the bottom though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Hi Paddy
    there will be little bonding between the slab and the wall....so I would'nt be sawing up against the wall. Saw a line, say, a foot out from the wall down each side- smash up [with sledgehammer] and remove the middle section,knowing that any vibation wont travel as far as far as the wall.Now you are free to lever and pull the remaining strip[bit at a time] away from the wall render without damaging it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Just had the same problem.

Con saw at an angle. Not too close. It kicks.

The con saw may not go right through in which case just be a little carefully as youget close to the cut with the ground breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Was the wall plastered before the path went in?

Should have been, but .... ya never know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

alproctor wrote: »
    Was the wall plastered before the path went in?

Should have been, but .... ya never know.

The wall was plastered and then the concrete path put in.
    But the wall was then replastered after the plaster cracked.

I had the plasterer back and he cut a strip out (where the crack developed)and I also had a structural engineer on hand to see if it was a foundation problem.

Thankfully,it was just the render that had cracked and the wall was replastered with a plastic expansion strip added too.:)

Advertisement