Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to live???

• 17-09-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone

Me and my wife looking to buy a house i would like to know something more about the area.

It is in Corbally Shannon Banks.

Thank you.:D

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

Hasnt being getting great reviews to be honest ,id stay clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shannon Banks is in County Clare. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

bazz26 wrote: »
    Shannon Banks is in County Clare. :pac:

And for that reason, I am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

I know along the banks itself has a few gangs of lads hanging around but haven't heard of them doing anything serious. Other than that i'd say Shannon Banks is just like any other estate around. No such thing as a quiet estate anymore now that everyone is scattered. There's a few dodgy heads in every estate. Cant avoid them unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Not 100% about the area but I would imagine if it is in County Clare the traffic would be fairly hectic as you would probably rely heavily on the city for everything and you need to go through corbally and westbury which have a high enough population too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

You dont have to go anyway near Westbury but you do have to go through Corbally to go into town, that said you have a supermarket, pub, bookies (very important) butchers, barbers, euro shop (!) chipper and chinese (all nice) dry cleaners right next you, that said you will have some heads hanging round the bank and you also have the risk of flooding.

If having a Clare address is not an issue :) why not try Westbury? the new part is raised higher than the old part so your fine for the old flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

Corbally itself is lovely but I think Shannon Banks would be the worst estate of them there. In saying that, its still a nice estate, loads of nice people living there. I think if you have a choice, go for somewhere in that area but not necessarily Shannon Banks :)
    Also, traffic can be quite heavy between 8 and 9am during the week and then again at 5pm, so bear that in mind. There is a good bus service to and from Arthurs Quay though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Shannon banks is the nicest place to live across the bridge. It has families living there a long time and a lot of people know each other. The houses are well built(not the Tolken houses) and it is managed by Clare County Council. There is no risk of flooding since they built the flood defence wall and it was really only a selection of houses at risk.

Bear in mind that Shannon banks was one of the most desirable areas after the Mill Road, Raheen and Dooradoyle to buy a house in the boom.

The other two estates, Westbury and Carrig Midhe are worse in my opinion. Westbury is far too big and people use it like a race track most nights and has problems keeping the place neat and tidy because it is not managed by a management company or by the council. Carrig Midhe is mostly rental houses, short term residents and did have that stabbing.

Biased maybe considering I grew up in Shannon banks, before Westbury even built the first house. Any problems the Knockballynameath area(as its actually called) has is a consequence of the development of Westbury and Carrig Midhe. The pub, bookies, chipper, shop etc was built as an after thought of the major development so is not a problem caused by Shannon Banks by anti social behaviour. It was borne from the Westbury and Carrig Midhe development.

I live in Shannonbanks, and have done so for almost ten years.....other than teens the odd time coming from other places during warm Summer nights or at times of exam results drinking etc there is never any problem in the area.....it is over all a quiet area, kids play on the streets together, neighbours keep themselves to themselves and there is rarely any crime.....to suggest that it almost 'ghetto like' is absurd!! I'm quite happy here, don't like the traffic in the mornings or the teens hanging about with nothing to do but there are a hell of a lot worse places to live in the Limerick area...and yes Shannonbanks is actually in Co Clare......hth

TheJinMu wrote: »
    Corbally itself is lovely but I think Shannon Banks would be the worst estate of them there. In saying that, its still a nice estate, loads of nice people living there. I think if you have a choice, go for somewhere in that area but not necessarily Shannon Banks :)
    Also, traffic can be quite heavy between 8 and 9am during the week and then again at 5pm, so bear that in mind. There is a good bus service to and from Arthurs Quay though.
    have you ever lived in Shannonbanks? cos it certainly dosn't sound as if you have!:confused:

• Advertisement

soprano123 wrote: »
    Hasnt being getting great reviews to be honest ,id stay clear

what 'reviews' are you referring to?? I live there, bring up a young family there and have no problems........I own my own home, have nice neighbours and my children can play safely in the area.....night time does sometimes bring drinkers down to the river bank but they are just teenagers drinking and doing what teenagers do! Never any trouble...would love to know where these 'reviews' came from..really riles me when people have opinions about areas they don't live in and know nothing about!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Parts of Shannon Banks have suffered from flooding over the last number of years so I'd be wary of that fact

Don't really know much more about the estate, know a couple of families that live there and they are sound.

Just spotted Beer Barons comment regarding flooding, happy to accept that

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

SB is fine, my only concern there would be the flooding but if thats sorted then thats fantastic!:) Comments about Westbury being used as a race track at night is news to me however, I am there 4 years, live close to the road, often up late (work) and have never seen this. I
    do however come across dopes/fools who drive in the middle of the road coming round bends every day but no midnight club wacky races.
    Yes there is small houses in Westbury also but you can pick up a nice sized 4 bed semi in Clonard these days for a good price, you also have the luxury of open spaces and greens as opposed to houses on top of each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Shannon Banks is generally good,my parents lived there before I came a long and it's a good estate,with just a few bad families,but hasn't everywhere now?. Although the flooding cannot possibly happen again some houses there cannot be insured and those that can pay a premium for the address and its association with the floods of 2009. That's the only real negative .

As I have mentioned above I live in Shannonbanks for eight years and the threat of flooding a few years ago was exaggerated to say the least...however there is now no threat and as for house insurance ours has not gone up since the flooding and you can see the river plainly from my house....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I know from experience that some houses in shannon banks are uninsurable,i was considering purchase there myself and some houses no insurance company would insure,others paid a premium due to the 2009 floods.

Well I have never of heard of that! Not one person I know living here (including ourselves) has had trouble insuring their houses, its not as if any damage was done to any property in Shannonbanks during the flooding...in fact there was no damage at all other than a bit of soft earth!! how come my insurer and those I know who are insured and were more exposed to the floods are still insuring us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Shannon banks is the nicest place to live across the bridge. It has families living there a long time and a lot of people know each other. The houses are well built(not the Tolken houses) and it is managed by Clare County Council. There is no risk of flooding since they built the flood defence wall and it was really only a selection of houses at risk.

Bear in mind that Shannon banks was one of the most desirable areas after the Mill Road, Raheen and Dooradoyle to buy a house in the boom.

The other two estates, Westbury and Carrig Midhe are worse in my opinion. Westbury is far too big and people use it like a race track most nights and has problems keeping the place neat and tidy because it is not managed by a management company or by the council. Carrig Midhe is mostly rental houses, short term residents and did have that stabbing.

Biased maybe considering I grew up in Shannon banks, before Westbury even built the first house. Any problems the Knockballynameath area(as its actually called) has is a consequence of the development of Westbury and Carrig Midhe. The pub, bookies, chipper, shop etc was built as an after thought of the major development so is not a problem caused by Shannon Banks by anti social behaviour. It was borne from the Westbury and Carrig Midhe development.

Berty, that is just complete bollocks

Roadend wrote: »

Why is it 'complete bollocks' Roadend? I'm curious, I must be living a right jungle and I'm not even aware of it the way some of ye are talking about Shannonbanks!:confused:

Why is it 'complete bollocks' Roadend? I'm curious, I must be living a right jungle and I'm not even aware of it the way some of ye are talking about Shannonbanks!:confused:

I was replying to the comment about Westbury roads being used as a race track. They are not, and anyone that says otherwise does not live there and does not have a clue.

• Advertisement

Just like the comments about Shannonbanks....some people seem to be of the opinion that we are living in the middle of a war zone!! People unless ye know for a fact that certain areas are crime ridden, drugs ridden, thug ridden areas then don't make ridiculous comments like the place should be 'avoided' etc.....Shannonbanks at night is like living in the countryside apart from the buses which end at 10.40pm there is no noise....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was replying to the comment about Westbury roads being used as a race track. They are not, and anyone that says otherwise does not live there and does not have a clue.

Okay Okay. I'll retract and put it another way. People drive very very fast in and around the circular road. I have seen it many times, been hit once by a driver who lost control, my brothers dog was killed by a driver-still on the leash-dog not driver-(taken to court-not the dog-and given 4 points for reckless driving). The circular road needs speed bumps and in some places better lighting.(especially around Annavilla Grove)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The OP asked if Shannon Banks was safe to live, the answer is yes. The OP if he / she decides to buy a house there, should be able to live a reasonable normal peaceful existance

@ Ammers, don't get so worked up, you are the one using words like ghetto and warzone not the other posters

I've lived in Corbally a long time and I'm very happy here, if I was house hunting all over again in Corbally, Shannon Banks, Westbury & Abbeylock wouldn't be at the top of my list even though I either know or are related to people who live there so I am familiar with those areas but that's just me it's not meant to be disrespectful to anybody who lives there and certainly not because it's unsafe but for other reasons like I may not like the style of house, I might consider it too far from the city centre or I may think the estate is too large for my liking etc etc

As far as crime goes, I'd say Corbally including the Clare side is way down the Garda priority list even if it does hit the headlines on the odd occasion for what would be considered serious crime but there are few places now that don't have the oddball family or teenagers rambling around with nothing to do

I'd imagine Shannon Banks is as safe as anywhere else these days

Okay Okay. I'll retract and put it another way. People drive very very fast in and around the circular road. I have seen it many times, been hit once by a driver who lost control, my brothers dog was killed by a driver-still on the leash-dog not driver-(taken to court-not the dog-and given 4 points for reckless driving). The circular road needs speed bumps and in some places better lighting.(especially around Annavilla Grove)

You do not live there, I do, and you are wrong. I think that's enough of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Shannon Banks is in a flood risk zone - if you go online and try to get home quotes, you'll see for yourself..friend of mine had this problem

Apart from that, every area in the city and county now has an "element" and Shannon Banks is no better /worse than any other IMO..

Best of luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Just a little correction about Carraig Midhe, my brother lives there. It is a very quiet estate, very little anti social behaviour and any there has been was caused by it being used as a shortcut to and from Shannon Banks. Compared to where my sister lives in Dooradoyle, it is a haven. People shouldn't generalise so quickly. A local councillor runs the pub now and has done great work to get that cleaned up. Any time I've stayed with my brother I've never seen an ounce of hassle. Corbally is a lovely area, wouldn't mind living there myself.

As for the stabbing, it was an isolated event about 5 years ago.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

Corbally is an okay area,and limerick is not as bad as media sensationalists make out,there are incidents but you know where to steer clear of streets with hostels at the end of them etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Does anyone have any suggestions for insurance companies who will provide flood cover in Westbury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

We still have a house in Shannon Banks (but don't live there) and never had any issue with insurance. The only houses that seemed to be hit hard with flooding were the newer ones at the end of the estate. Funny thing is I have a 100 year old map of the area at home and where they were built (the most recent in Shannon Banks) is marked 'liable to flooding'.

The area in general probably has gotten a bit rougher over the years just like any city centre suburb. I would take Shannon Banks over Westbury or Carrig Midhe but then growing up there I would know a lot of the people there and Westbury just seemed vast. (I literally remember when Westbury was 'just fields')

Live in the countryside now wouldn't swap it but one thing I used to love as kid in Shannon Banks was the river. Always had a boat or Kayak, you could go from Shannon Banks to town or UL on the river. Great craic exploring the small Island or the larger with the ruin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement