Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFK Layover

Options
  • 17-09-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

flying from dublin to jfk and then jfk to los angeles next Saturday via Delta. Layover is 1hr 15 mins and the termnial has now changed to arrive in T5 Jfk and leaving from T2 jfk. Since immigration done in dublin and bags will be sent through since same airline/booking anyone foresee issues with the amount of time. I presume if plane is delayed and we miss connection that Delta will stick us on the next available flight. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's a pretty tight connection time alright. JFK can be a be a bit of a zoo, especially when most of the flights from Europe all tend to arrive at the same time in the middle of the afternoon.

If your flight lands on time (not always a given in JFK) and there is no messing around in finding an available gate for the plane (not always a given in JFK) and no delay in getting the air bridge connected & no delays in getting off the plane (if you are sitting in the back of the plane, it can take for ever to get off it) etc etc you may be ok.

You will still have to trek thru all the corridors, concourses and stairways to get from the arrival gate to immigration, which can take some time. As you will have pre cleared customs and immigration in Dublin, you'll get waved on thru the immigration hall by airport security, but its still a trek that you'll have to make to get from the arrival gate, to customs and immigration, to the main lobby of the terminal, and then on to another terminal.

If there are no delays along the way, you should be ok. If there are....well....you'll just get put on the next flight, if you miss the one that you were originally booked on. That is presuming that both flights were booked on the same ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

Wow, first post 7 years after joining? A belated welcome!

I think you have misread something. Delta don't use Terminal 5 in JFK, but they do use Terminal 5 in LA. You'll arrive in JFK Terminal 2. You just walk off the plane and go to your next gate. You clear US security in Dublin, so there will be no security check in JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It is doable but tight and doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room if your flights are delayed etc. Your bags will be sent through as you say but Delta at JFK are now spread across terminals 2, 3 and 4 so you may have to change terminals and reclearing security etc.

However, as it is on the one booking, even if you do miss it they will arrange another flight for you however. There are quite a few flights to LA also so it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

With Delta, even if the flights happen to use different terminals there is no need to go through security. T2 and T3 are connected and there's an airside bus to T4 from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Barryk

steve-o wrote: »
    Wow, first post 7 years after joining? A belated welcome!
    Long story, forgot password, tried to reset, chose wrong email address and ended up with this account that i never knew i even had. I must figure out what email my other account is under.
    steve-o wrote: »
    I think you have misread something. Delta don't use Terminal 5 in JFK, but they do use Terminal 5 in LA. You'll arrive in JFK Terminal 2. You just walk off the plane and go to your next gate. You clear US security in Dublin, so there will be no security check in JFK.
    Thats the strange thing, originally the Terminal was 3 that we were arriving at and they changed it to 5 and then i got the "you may miss your flight" message on the itinerary. I thought it was doable when we were arriving at 3 and leaving from 2 but now its arriving at 5 and leaving from 2. Will see what happens, if all comes to all they will stick us on next flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Thanks for all the replies folks, i figured out my original accounts email.
    aka BarryK

Advertisement