Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best surf spot /town in ireland

Options
  • 17-09-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

where is best place to surf in ireland?tryin to do a poll here:)

Best Surf Spot/Town in Ireland 53 votes

Bundoran
    0% 0 votes
    Lahinch
    26% 14 votes
    Rossnowlagh
    37% 20 votes
    Achill
    3% 2 votes
    Strandhill
    1% 1 vote
    Enniscrone
    3% 2 votes
    Carrowniskey
    3% 2 votes
    Fanad
    5% 3 votes
    Dunfanaghy
    1% 1 vote
    Tramore
    0% 0 votes
    Inch Strand
    15% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Sorry to be predictable but my favourite spot is anywhere with my mates and nobody else! Of course having good clean waves is a plus!

Lahinch gets my vote otherwise. Mostly because of the waves but partly due to Joes cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I'm only beginning on the bodyboarding but the best town is Lahinch,but my favorite beach is Fanore,because it's never too busy and when the conditions are right there's good clean waves...

Just like one poster said,people places and conditions make a good day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

The one which is two mins drive from my house.

Even though it mightn't have the best waves, I'm usually the only one out and if anyone else is out, they're friends of mine.

Lahinch is a great spot and Joe's cafe (especially the fruit crumble) is a bonus. Unlike Randaddy's which tried to charge me €3 for a small take away latte last time I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 podge-delsol

From my limited experience:

1. Lahinch (Clare)
    2. Tramore (Waterford)
    3. Maherees (Kerry)
    4. Garretstown (Cork)
    5. Brandon Bay (Kerry)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

best spot? i'm saying nathing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Out of loyalty I'm tempted to pick Achill, but out of the options above that I've actually surfed I'd have to go for Lahinch. The wave on the beach is great on it's day and then you have the reefs easily accessible too.

Of course that's not to say it's my favourite wave that I surf, I'm also going to keep that one to myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

Rossnowlagh

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Surf_Pointer

There's a difference between most popular and best!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

I have been quite religiously devoted to Tullan and Rossnowlagh over the past year, travelling over from Dublin at least once a month for a weekend ( I was there two weeks ago for that quite epic swell :-) )

I am limited in my time and so have been loathe to devote a weekend to a new spot and maybe spend a weekend in poor waves that could have been spent in the Bundoran area but I have recently been toying with the idea of trying out some other spots.

Where would people rate as the best beach breaks in the country and worth a trip to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

tullan and rosknowlagh are the best. i wouldn't bother with anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Threads Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Firstly, can you read charts and do your own surf forecast, look at other beachs you are missing out, Rossnowlagh is not to bad but I can't stand Tullan it's always a last resort for me. What about Stredagh you probably drive past it, then there is Strandhill but you need to be past the beginner stage as there are a lot of rips.

My favorite beach where I've gotten the best waves in Ireland hands down has to be Enniscrone, it often looks smaller than it is and can be well over head but it can handle it and there aren't bad rips (often) or any rocks to get washed up in like Lahich or Strandhill. There is loads of space to not as packed as Tullan.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

There are a few lovely & quiet beaches near Ardmore in West Waterford that are fantastic. Tramore isn't bad either and less than 2 hours from Dublin. Plenty happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

Space hopper: I have never seen Stredagh working that well before, but I will check out Enniscrone, thanks for the tip.
    Comeraghs: I know Tramore quite well but the surf is rarely very good down there. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Knowing surfers I just wonder how many of the selected/listed breaks are close to the places where the ops surf....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

rodento wrote: »
    Knowing surfers I just wonder how many of the selected/listed breaks are close to the places where the ops surf....

good call rodento, this is a "where do you live" poll more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I enjoyed lahinch more than anywhere else, i find the locals abusive in bundoran (not towards me, i've seen other people get abuse). The few times i've been out in waterford it wasnt great, i think i just was down on the wrong days. The place i enjoy the most is up near malin head, great waves and rarely anyone else out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Gwan Tramore!!

Usually its **** but it's like most places this far south when its good its great.

Hoping the 2ft, 12 seconds and 5mph Offshore holds out til Friday but it probably won't ha.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

ratticus wrote: »
    I have been quite religiously devoted to Tullan

Always wondered why tullan was so popular

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Sex-for-sale-on-a-Donegal-beach-in-broad-daylight-140129873.html

Advertisement