Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

openvswitch/vde

Options
  • 17-09-2012 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I am setting up a virtual network on a virtual host (linux). The vm container I'm going with is proxmox, because it will allow me to run both kvm machines and containerised machines at the same time, but I'm having lots of 'fun' getting virtual networking set-up

I have realised I haven't got a clue about networking :(

I 'think' I want a set-up involving openvSwitch or vde, but I'm not certain, and I can't find any good (as in I can understand them properly) guides

Can anyone give me some help in getting this set-up?

My virtualization solution is Proxmox, which at the moment it is running 3 containerized linux's (more virtualized and a few kvm's will be added).

I want (I think) a vlan for each of the 3 networks. I will put the vm's onto one of the vlans, then depending which network I want to use, to switch the real adapter attached to it, or have each real interface hooked into a vlan and depending on what I'm working on, move the vm's between vlans.
    But I need to have fixed ip's on the vm machines, they will be running oracle software, which seriously dislikes ip changes, so they must be static addresses

My physical set-up ...
    a high spec'd pc with one nic (I will be adding 2 more)
    3 separate networks, one is my corp network, the other 2 are customer ones

Advertisement