Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It - Stephen King (SPOILERS!!)

Options
  • 17-09-2012 4:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I have to say that I think this book was was enjoyable but never came close to meeting my expectations.

Unfortunately, what ruined it for me was the sex scene between the Losers at the end. I found it so completely ludicrous that I pretty much gave up on the whole thing, at that point I was just like "oh ffs what a ****ing joke", so much so that I just skimmed the final pages. I simply can't put into words just how much that ruined it for me, not only ruined this book but maybe even put me off reading any more King just in case I come across more crap like it.

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Yeah, I actually just read this recently and I'd have to agree. I loved all the background stories and character development stuff but the last 100 pages or so ruined it for me.

When the saw ITs final form and it was just a big spider I was really disappointed. And the sex scene was just weird and creepy. I also didn't really get the whole "bite it's tongue and tell jokes" part.

Maybe I just didn't get the book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Actually, that's another thing that annoyed me. How 'Its' presence is explained simply by It being there before everything with the Turtle and then the Turtle vomits up the Universe.

I mean c'mon!! Supernaturalism is expected in a SK novel, but that just sounds like something he pulled out of his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Worst book ever.

comic-book-guy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Yeah, it did feel like a real cop out at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What page does the orgy start on? :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I can give you a kindle location if you want? :D

Just FYI, the girl who gets gang banged is 11 years old.

do_not_want_22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Agreed, I thought the ending was a huge disappointment. Still, I absolutely loved the rest of the book and on the strength of what comes before the ending it's something I'll have no reservations about re-reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

His endings tend to disappoint more often than not IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Eoin wrote: »
    His endings tend to disappoint more often than not IMO.

Agreed. Used to love SK when I was younger but as I have grown older I've become disappointed with a lot of his endings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I have to say that I think this book was was enjoyable but never came close to meeting my expectations.

Unfortunately, what ruined it for me was the sex scene between the Losers at the end. I found it so completely ludicrous that I pretty much gave up on the whole thing, at that point I was just like "oh ffs what a ****ing joke", so much so that I just skimmed the final pages. I simply can't put into words just how much that ruined it for me, not only ruined this book but maybe even put me off reading any more King just in case I come across more crap like it.

/rant

The ending is ridiculous, as you'd expect from King, but that sex scene came across as paedophilic and left me with a sour taste in my mouth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

ye that scene had absolutly no purpose whatsoever apart from extending an overlong book

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've read it a few times. It's a solid book up until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I've always loved Stephen King's books but I've noticed that he has a lot of distressing scenes with dogs. The part in IT where a kid locks a dog in an abandoned fridge, then comes back to torment the dog and leave it to starve to death has haunted me for life!

When I'm reading one of his books and a dog is introduced I prepare for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

^ I was the same :o

I think it can be summed up by the following rage comic - just substitute films for books.

this_director_can_go_to_hell.jpg

Advertisement