Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewood

• 17-09-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

So I chopped down two large trees from my back garden and would like to use the fruit of my work in my new (not even delivered yet) stove.

Can anyone advise on the process for getting the wood ready for burning?

221000.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not an expert by any means but when cut I would deffo put in out of the elements and not go using it for 2 years anyway to give it a good drying out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not an expert by any means but when cut I would deffo put in out of the elements and not go using it for 2 years anyway to give it a good drying out

2 years :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Cut it into logs.

Get a proper log splitting maul (don't use a felling axe). You will get one in McQuillans, or many other good garden / tool shops.

Split the logs with the maul. You can whack the maul on the back with a sledgehammer a bit for larger logs.

Thinner logs release heat more quickly but burn faster.

Stack the split wood somewhere sheltered.

Wait 6 months.

Burn and enjoy.

I logged one of those trees a few years back, the one on the left, think it's a cyprus or a cedar, it burned very well. The one on the right looks like a spruce, it'll burn AOK but there won't be as much heat out of it.

P.S. To avoid expensive visits to the physio, split for 20 mins per day only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are the trees still intact?
    chop them up and leave them to season for burning in the winter of next year; preferably somewhere dry and well ventilated.

hmm...

at the moment they the branches are cut into small sticks, and are sitting in ton bags but the main trunk of the trees are still intact - waiting to be split, as soon as my lazyness subsides.

Would putting them on make shift shelves and covering the top with a tarp be good enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

I had quiet a few mature Leylandi I think they were called, that had gone wild around my house when I bought it.
    I logged them and left them for about 4 years (due to circumstances) then split them.
    Some of the smaller sticks from the branches (about 3" dia.)were not worth the effort of burning, with out coal. I have a Waterford Erin, which when using softwoods only, is very hungry. To get any lasting from that wood when its seasoned, cut it as big as will fit in to the fire box.

I split it all with an axe.
    Top tip, don't get the heaviest one you can. Get one that is comfortable, that you can control, and some hard wood wedges.

jameshayes wrote: »

Sorry didn't mean to shock you ! I'm only an amateur user of logs ! I would deffo leave them at lease a year out of the elements to make sure they are good n dry. Just me twopence worth;)

Top tip, don't get the heaviest one you can. Get one that is comfortable, that you can control, and some hard wood wedges.

Presume you dont mean these? https://www.google.ie/search?q=wood+wedges&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D14&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=m0ZXULWCNcS3hAfek4GQBw&biw=1440&bih=837&sei=pUZXUJjuOZSDhQfTyoHQCw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Haha, try looking up splitting wedge!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jameshayes wrote: »

Yep...due to moisture content and drying out.

• Advertisement

A petrol chainsaw in Lidl or Aldi for 80 euro will make short work of those trees.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

you'll pick up a log splitting axe (save you messing about with wedges)in aldi in the coming months they always sell them coming into the winter. Sure if you do leave then drying for a year you'll buy a trailer load this year and be set for next year :D

leeomurchu wrote: »
    you'll pick up a log splitting axe (save you messing about with wedges)in aldi in the coming months they always sell them coming into the winter. Sure if you do leave then drying for a year you'll buy a trailer load this year and be set for next year :D

7 euro for a large axe in Aldi.;):D

paddy147 wrote: »
    7 euro for a large axe in Aldi.;):D

Ye can't argue with that cheap at twice the price :D

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Ye can't argue with that cheap at twice the price :D

90 euro in Lidl and 7 euro in Aldi isnt too bad me thinks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

While I spent a few months in Kerry with some comrades, winter time, they soaked there logs in diesel, then transferred them to a barrel with holes in the bottom to reuse the diesel, it seemed to work a treat, the fire burned for hours.

90 euro in Lidl and 7 euro in Aldi isnt too bad me thinks.:)

That's the one grand job for burning off a few pounds aswell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I think the one on the left is a macrocarpa[spelling?] and the other is possibly a scots pine. Both will yield the best[equal to some hardwoods]of firewood.... if dried for a couple of summers minimum. I would persomally not cut them down if I had to-they are nice trees - way more interesting tn shape and colour than the miserable dark leylandi that will be in your view when they are down........you ain't exactly gonna get a barnfull of logs out of it either........Both trees would be sort after by woodturners as the wood will be colourfull and dense,for a softwood. .....,,sorry to have peed on your fire.....I'm sure you've got good reason for felling-besafe-wayoutwest:)

wayoutwest wrote: »
    I think the one on the left is a macrocarpa[spelling?] and the other is possibly a scots pine. Both will yield the best[equal to some hardwoods]of firewood.... if dried for a couple of summers minimum.

It could be 10 years before we see a couple of summers over here can't remember the last one:D

To accelerate the drying time-get the pile up onto some pallets so air can be introduced to the middle of the stack via the upward flow and put a little cover on the top. This 'wind drying tunnel' effect can be increased further by stacking the logs vertically[less obstruction = faster flow. I would recommend this method if drying small amounts. I've got a cubic metre of leylandi that I chopped up small [in May] and stacked this way and It will be ready to burn this winter.
    Bark is naturally going to slow down the moisture escaping from the timber and the logs that don't need splitting ie: from the branches,are the slowesst to dry because the length of the grain has not been exposed....so if you split just a third off these you will decrease drying time.

• Advertisement

Yep...due to moisture content and drying out.

Mr Paddy - I do believe it's referred to as "Seasoning" the wood, roight?;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

If you have a warm garage to leave them in they become dry in 6 months if stacked right.

I would not bother buying a electric spliter for that much timber. And hour or two with a large axe and sledge hammer does me fine. I have been cutting my own for a good few years now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Garage space is limited so what I will do is try stack it as good as I can up in the garage and leave it until they are dry

The reason for the felling was because the tress, both at seperate times in the day - would completely block the sunlight into the garden, and after installing my deck, we knew it was the right decision.

221090.jpg

Just had an idea, I might take the front cover from the deck and stack them in there for the winter, there is loads of space and it will be next yhear again I put in the raised flower beds I have on plan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

No expert, but that tree on the right has all the look of a very soft wood, loaded with moisture/sap.

I'd cut them and stack them, covering them with a tarpaulin or something, but try keep it ventilated at the same time.

And i defo would not be burning them this year.

These type of trees have a high resin as well as high water content. If you don't dry them fully[>20% moisture],then this watery residue will eat away at your nice new stove,metal flue pipes and stick to the surface of whatever chimney you've got-creating perfect cimney-fire conditions.It takes quite a bit of expereance to judge how dry different species of wood should be.
    I would recommend investing in a moisture meter.They are cheap-just poke the two prongs into the middle of a FRESHLY split log ie:into the length of the grain as opposed to the endgrain. Do this to a sample log, when having a delivery, and simply reject the load before they start tipping if its over 20%.
    Logs that are over 20% cannot be described as firewood and should be much cheaper as the seller is saving on time and storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

save yourself a lot of energy by splitting as soon as possible after cutting. the maul as suggested earlier is by far better than an ordinary axe.

Great- thanks for the advice all!!

I'll take the chainsaw to the trunk this week and they have an axe in Aldi this week, will check it out!

Advertisement