Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ignition switch problem...

• 17-09-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I need a little bit of advice diagnosing a problem with my bike and I hope someone can help me out….

The bike is a ‘97 CBR900 RRV if it makes a difference but I don’t think it’s really bike specific.

The problem seems to be in the ignition switch – or part of the electrics connected to it but basically when you put the key in and turn it to the ON position nothing happens… no lights or life at all really. Then if you move the key around slightly or turn OFF then ON a couple of times the normal (oil, neutral, side stand) lights come on and it fires up no bother.
    Sometimes you have to hold the key in position until its running smoothly and then it will stay engaged – other times it seems ok until you kick up the side stand and then it dies completely….. back to ON/OFF for a minute or two – lights on and off it goes!

I had the ignition barrel cleaned out about 6 months ago and it seemed to do the trick for a while but the same problem has occurred again.

So - to chance cleaning it again or is it time for a new ignition switch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

steve22 wrote: »
    I need a little bit of advice diagnosing a problem with my bike and I hope someone can help me out….

The bike is a ‘97 CBR900 RRV if it makes a difference but I don’t think it’s really bike specific.

The problem seems to be in the ignition switch – or part of the electrics connected to it but basically when you put the key in and turn it to the ON position nothing happens… no lights or life at all really. Then if you move the key around slightly or turn OFF then ON a couple of times the normal (oil, neutral, side stand) lights come on and it fires up no bother.
    Sometimes you have to hold the key in position until its running smoothly and then it will stay engaged – other times it seems ok until you kick up the side stand and then it dies completely….. back to ON/OFF for a minute or two – lights on and off it goes!

I had the ignition barrel cleaned out about 6 months ago and it seemed to do the trick for a while but the same problem has occurred again.

Sounds like a loose connection so check cables going into the switch maybe easier replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Banzai600

steve22 wrote: »

To me, it sounds like there is a loose connection where the wiring loom goes into the back of the ignition (?).Also, it could be a faulty battery connection, but I doubt it. The side stand switch could be faulty as well.

Go check the connectors of the wiring loom into the fuse block and make sure they aint corroded.

If they are ok could be a voltage regulator problem / stator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm looking for an ignition barrel for my project VT500 for similar symptoms. I was given a box of spares with the bike including a spare barrel that wasn't much better. I've had both barrels out in my head and the external wiring seems very robust so I put my issues down to water ingress or wear and tear on the internal cams or contacts...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Sounds like a loose connection so check cables going into the switch maybe easier replacing.

yeah i'll have a look at the wires going into the ignition switch - the only reason i thought it might be the barrel itself is the fact the connection comes and goes with movement of the key rather than moving the wires but its worth a shot first anyway thanks!
    Banzai600 wrote: »
    To me, it sounds like there is a loose connection where the wiring loom goes into the back of the ignition (?).Also, it could be a faulty battery connection, but I doubt it. The side stand switch could be faulty as well.

Go check the connectors of the wiring loom into the fuse block and make sure they aint corroded.

If they are ok could be a voltage regulator problem / stator.

cheers for the list!! it gives me a few things to look at anyway... the wiring to the ignition sounds like the best place to start though and i'll work from there!
    cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm looking for an ignition barrel for my project VT500 for similar symptoms. I was given a box of spares with the bike including a spare barrel that wasn't much better. I've had both barrels out in my head and the external wiring seems very robust so I put my issues down to water ingress or wear and tear on the internal cams or contacts...

water in the ignition barrel itself? - might give it a blast of that ACF-50 spray someone was telling me about....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Use a multimeter to check for continuity on the block connector that comes directly out of the barrel. Use a wiring diagram to find which wires are + / -

Should be able to narrow down the problem until you find the cause, probably a problem with the connector or a problem with the ignition barrel itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Use a multimeter to check for continuity on the block connector that comes directly out of the barrel. Use a wiring diagram to find which wires are + / -

Should be able to narrow down the problem until you find the cause, probably a problem with the connector or a problem with the ignition barrel itself.

Cool, thanks. If it’s the barrel itself is there any way to refurbish these or is it easier just to change it?

Advertisement