Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth

Options
  • 17-09-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭

I don't really listen to that much metal but I've decided to give Opeth a go as I've liked what I've heard from them so far. Any recommendations as to which album to try out first?

Also, it'd be great if you could post a favourite song or two of theirs as well, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Blackwater Park or Still Life are the fan favourites, I suppose go with one of them if you like what you have heard.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I agree with ScienceNerd.

Can't go wrong with either of them.
    Leper Affinity is a definite favourite of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It has to be Blackwater Park for me, it's such an epic song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

My favourite Opeth song without a doubt is When, the change to clean singing gets me everytime

Also love Morningrise

Looking forward to seeing them again in Nov,glad that they are back in Vicar St this time around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Nea wrote: »
    My favourite Opeth song without a doubt is When, the change to clean singing gets me everytime

Also love Morningrise

Looking forward to seeing them again in Nov,glad that they are back in Vicar St this time around

It's funny but imo those two songs sound a hell of a lot better live from the Roundhouse Tapes than the recorded versions. They're both among my favourite Opeth songs but the recorded versions lack something. I'd put down basically to limited money/recording equipment which is understandable as they were recorded in the early Opeth days, 1996/99 thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I wouldnt be a big big death metal fan and definitely had never listened to anything growly before. It took me a while to get used to the growl but the music is amazing. Blackwater Park, damnation and deliverance, My arms your hearse and Ghost Reveries would be the better ones to start with. Still Life I would move onto after you get used to the growling and that. Not a fan of orchid or morningrise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

i'd say check out the roundhouse tapes live cd , live albums dont get much better and whichever songs ya like might point in the direction of which albums to check out

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Honestly, I think Ghost Reveries is best to start with. It's a flawless masterpiece in my book and has some of the best production I've heard on a metal record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Honestly, I think Ghost Reveries is best to start with. It's a flawless masterpiece in my book and has some of the best production I've heard on a metal record.

I can agree with this it was the first one I started with (well it was the latest one out at the time), made me want to check out the rest of their work would love to be you checking their stuff out for the first time all over again. Here's one of the most known tracks and one of my faves from said album. Video gamers who have played Saints Row 2 may be familiar with it :pac:...

Also I think the Deliverence album is worth it for the title track alone...

And while im at it heres a great track from Damnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

Love the description for this one just says "Music" :D cant find any full live versions of this song on youtube which is a pity as I know there are a few bootlegs going around containing a live recording of the song :(

Another brilliant Opeth song which I don't t think they play this live which sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

A few more for you. I think the biggest thing you'll find with each album is the progression they make to a more progy sound. Especially over the last few albums, leading up to Heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Does anyone have an idea what kinda set they are playing atm ... been to couple of opeth gigs and personally don't like the slow sets ...

Last time vicar street was epic :D

Set from their most recent show
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2012/grona-lund-stockholm-sweden-53dd9f15.html

If you don't like Heritage you may not enjoy half the show :P

They've actually added a few more of the heavier tunes. The first big leg of the tour was basically all Heritage/Damnation stuff with only one or two heavy songs as the encore.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I listened to a small bit of Opeth due to the connection they have with Steven Wilson and I really like when Mikael sings (I hate to say it) properly, he has a lovely voice.

However the generic metal "grrrr, raar" vocals in their songs is a real turn off for me, anyone else find this? I just find nothing unique about this singing style and dozens of other bands also employ it in the genre.

Sorry if it sounds ignorant or anything, it's just how I feel on the limited amount I've heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

flyswatter wrote: »
    I listened to a small bit of Opeth due to the connection they have with Steven Wilson and I really like when Mikael sings (I hate to say it) properly, he has a lovely voice.

However the generic metal "grrrr, raar" vocals in their songs is a real turn off for me, anyone else find this? I just find nothing unique about this singing style and dozens of other bands also employ it in the genre.

Sorry if it sounds ignorant or anything, it's just how I feel on the limited amount I've heard of them.

I'm not a huge death metal fan myself and never was into the whole death growl vocals. However, when it comes to Opeth it works, its the light and shade that makes their music so great. Their ability to change within a song from growl to clean compliments each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

What i find great about his voice that he is a fab grunter and a good singer ... those two combined in a song makes it epic

Perfect example imo .... still gives me goosebumps every time i hear this song

I pretty much agree. However what I've found is that singing death growls and listening back to them is fun in a self indulgent way. I think for this type of music, which involves showing off instrumental and compositional abilities it's not suprising that death growls were incorporated up till now, I find it plays into the hey look what I just did aspect of musicianship. That said I think death growls work in terms of contrast on some of the songs like the Funeral Portrait where most of the song contains death growls and then is lifted at the end by these elevated harmonies, it's like a storm clearing. Or say on Dirge for November, the growled vocals at the end add to the haunting baroque/gothic quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

From 9:37 onwards in Deliverance is possibly the finest use of one chord in the history of music. When i first heard it at a house party years ago I said "Who the **** is that?"

From 9:37 onwards in Deliverance is possibly the finest use of one chord in the history of music.

Best .outro .ever. Epic

I love the fact Mike uses both styles of vocals. The switch to clean singing in When.."To find my way back home....." is a hair raising moment for me. I know growl vocals would not have suited on Heritage but it didnt seem like a complete Opeth album without them. Hopefully they will be back for the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

Nea wrote: »
    Best .outro .ever. Epic

I love the fact Mike uses both styles of vocals. The switch to clean singing in When.."To find my way back home....." is a hair raising moment for me. I know growl vocals would not have suited on Heritage but it didnt seem like a complete Opeth album without them. Hopefully they will be back for the next one

From what I have seen from interviews this will not be the case. Mikael has said that he is more or less done with that style of singing because there is not much more he can do with it. He also said that the future of Opeth will not be metal but more progressive rock like on Heritage.

With the upcoming gig in November, I have to admit that I'm a little concerned that the first half of the show will be ruined by fans who dislike the new material shouting/talking etc during the Heritage songs.
    Even on previous tours you would have stuff like that happening, even during the acoustic sections of some songs!

It's the one thing I dislike about a certain area of metal fans, and something that I can definitely see ruining the gig :(

I am looking forward to see how Heritage transpires live,cant wait for the gig actually.
    If people dont want to hear stuff from Heitage they certainly wont like Anathema. The last Anathema gig really annoyed me with people talking quite loudly and shouting for older material.

I just feel the clean/death singing is part and parcel of Opeth and would hate to see it going completely. Tomi Joutsen from Amorphis nails that style too.

Heritage imo is very much an atmosphere piece. If you're feeling reflective and/or slightly melancholy and don't want loud aggressive music because of a lack of energy or just through feeling extra contemplative then it perfectly fits the mood. It's very elegant in terms of arrangements and conceptual ideas. It's not immediately amazing but it's an example of excellent craftsmanship in the abscence of inspirational ideas, and given Opeth already have inspiring songs, I'll give them plus points on keeping it going for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Fair enough if that style of vocals are not your cup of tea (an aquired taste for sure, took me years to get into them!).

I'm a huge death metal fan, so i've listened to a my fair share of vocalists who use that style. I can safely say that Akerfeldt is one of the best to do it. He has a fantastic technique, you can really hear him bellowing from deep down in his chest and opening up his throat. Heck, you can even see it in his neck live. He's one of the few death metal vocalist that i've ever heard that can sustain notes in that kind of voice.

He's got a good range within that style; he can go from a harsh rasp to the aforementioned earth rattling bellow, with lots of shades in between. He's one of the few vocalists in this style that's instantly recognisable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Has anyone received their Vicar Street tickets yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭RayCon

xerces wrote: »
    Has anyone received their Vicar Street tickets yet?

Yip ... months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

RayCon wrote: »
    Yip ... months ago

Hmm, I'll have to get on to them about that.

Advertisement