Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heisenberg is in town!

• 17-09-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Health Service Executive and the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland have both issued warnings to pharmacists.

They say some people are bulk buying products containing pseudoephedrine because they can be used to create methamphetamine, known as crystal meth.

Pharmacies in Dublin, Limerick and Kerry have also reported suspicious purchases of large quantities of the medicine Sudafed.

One man has been questioned and a file is being sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions following the discovery last month of a makeshift laboratory in Kerry.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0917/pharmacists-on-alert-over-sale-of-cold-medicines.html

Seriously though.. nasty nasty drug. I've never heard of it being sold or produced in Ireland before. Has anyone come across it before? Louis Theroux done a documentary about it a while back. It seriously messes people up. Hopefully it won't become as popular as other stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I knew this would happen Once Breaking bad hit netflix....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The bastarding thing about meth is that any idiot can look up how to make the stuff and give it a go.

Morons who can't tell reality from TV will watch Breaking Bad and give it a go.

The stuff f*cks you up royally. Expect a whole new brand of junkie in the coming years folks.

The Meth Heads are coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Part of why it might become popular is because of tools glamorising it because of breaking bad.

Thread title almost made me scream like a little girl in excitement.

But yeah, after the marathon of meth documentaries I watched last Christmas when I was sick, including the Louis Theroux one, this is not a drug I look forwards to seeing on our streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Todally...yo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

You're god damn right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

If Meth had a face it should be slaped repeatedly.... with a truck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Overthrow wrote: »
    Part of why it might become popular is because of tools glamorising it because of breaking bad.

No, it's because its cheap & highly addictive. It was a little but kinda popular before Breaking Bad. Some people, they think Ireland is the world. Almost American like in that sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Was anyone else expecting this to be about an undead physicist harnessing quantum energy ?!?!?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

It's not that easy to make.
    It takes a bit of skill and knowledge and investment to get up and running.
    Most morons would poison themselves or blow themselves up. Having said that, it's not rocket science either. A decent set of instructions is all you really need. That and patience.
    Nasty drug. Seen the effects it has on the body. Turns healthy looking people into something from a horror movie in months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Was anyone else expecting this to be about an undead physicist harnessing quantum energy ?!?!?:confused:

Yes, but there was certain level of uncertainty in my mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If Meth had a face it should be slaped repeatedly.... with a truck

Was just about to go on that Meth site with the before and after pictures. i'll give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I always wondered why Sudafed was even so freely available? I took it a few times in the past and it made me feel weird as all hell. It's even banned in certain sports because of the effect it can have on the body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

...but how fast is he going?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was just about to go on that Meth site with the before and after pictures. i'll give it a miss.

il do it for you
    IdV0A.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Most morons would poison themselves or blow themselves up. Having said that, it's not rocket science either. A decent set of instructions is all you really need. That and patience.
    Nasty drug. Seen the effects it has on the body. Turns healthy looking people into something from a horror movie in months.

Well what I meant by moron was somebody who thinks it's a good idea to start cooking it. Some intelligence required but it's not really really difficult, hence all the home-labs that you hear about in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Are we sure this isn't an elaborate PR scam by TG4 to promote that they are showing Breaking Bad??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

bullet behind the ear should be the fate of the scumbags who make and sell this stuff (ok, little bit of an exaggeration there) - that sh!t is worse than heroin and thats ravaged communities in Ireland

bluewolf wrote: »

I don't get what point it is you're making. Nothing has been made illegal.. it's just a warning to pharmacists to be aware that some people are using the stuff to make the drug. Far more Orwellian things happen in Ireland every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I still have two cans of Heisenberg in the fridge from the son's debs party but I'm uncertain what's in them. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

See sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I'm sorry I cannot hear any of you over the massive extractor fan's I have installed into my Cow shed's ...

Also .. bluewolf please report to the Cow shed's asap .. I require assistance with some chemicals for cleaning the milking machine..... yes that's right the milking machine ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Real Life wrote: »
    il do it for you
    IdV0A.jpg

Not the worse of them, by far.

Cue Chemistry teachers across the country realizing their day has finally come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Cue Chemistry teachers across the country realizing their day has finally come.

And cheesey hats making an "unexpected" comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Heisenberg is in town!
    Quote:
    The Health Service Executive and the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland have both issued warnings to pharmacists.

They say some people are bulk buying products containing pseudoephedrine because they can be used to create methamphetamine, known as crystal meth.

Pharmacies in Dublin, Limerick and Kerry have also reported suspicious purchases of large quantities of the medicine Sudafed.

One man has been questioned and a file is being sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions following the discovery last month of a makeshift laboratory in Kerry.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0917/pharmacists-on-alert-over-sale-of-cold-medicines.html

Seriously though.. nasty nasty drug. I've never heard of it being sold or produced in Ireland before. Has anyone come across it before? Louis Theroux done a documentary about it a while back. It seriously messes people up. Hopefully it won't become as popular as other stuff.

All those who go on about cannabis being a so-called dangerous drug are about to meet reality if ould crystal meth takes hold.
    You'll be wistfully remembering the good old days folks.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Magnets bitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

mikom wrote: »
    All those who go on about cannabis being a so-called dangerous drug are about to meet reality if ould crystal meth takes hold.
    You'll be wistfully remembering the good old days folks.......

But shure, da weed joe, it's da weed dat makes people smoke dat Waterford crystal joe.

• Advertisement

Ohhhhhhh! Wire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Varied wrote: »
    But shure, da weed joe, it's da weed dat makes people smoke dat Waterford crystal joe.

"Waterford" would be a fcuking great name for a meth product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Unconfirmed rumors going around regarding the members of a popular Irish musical act and their involvement in the current bulk buying of products containing pseudoephedrine
    Crystal swing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I hope he dont step on all that dog shiit out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Its pretty easy make. Nothing too fancy required. Details are not for a forum like this though.

Meth was practically unknown of in Ireland up until quite recently.

Even what is out there is very much small time and is picked up on quite quickly. Pharmacies are pretty well regulated in Ireland and it is not as easy stockpile pseudo as it might be in a less well regulated country. When pharmacists see suspicious behaviour they generally contact the drug squad quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Pfft, amatuers doing a pseudo cook :pac:

dirtyden wrote: »
    Its pretty easy make. Nothing too fancy required. Details are not for a forum like this though.

Meth was practically unknown of in Ireland up until quite recently.

Even what is out there is very much small time and is picked up on quite quickly. Pharmacies are pretty well regulated in Ireland and it is not as easy stockpile pseudo as it might be in a less well regulated country. When pharmacists see suspicious behaviour they generally contact the drug squad quickly.

Sure look at the stupid Paracetamol guidelines. Even over the border they're less strict but you'll still get an inquisition in most chemist's.

As for meth being unknown of until quite recently, what's "quite"? Was certainly already here 8 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No, no, no!
    Walt would never cook with that, he's above that weak ****.

It's Chilly P', Yo!

Sure look at the stupid Paracetamol guidelines. Even over the border they're less strict but you'll still get an inquisition in most chemist's.

As for meth being unknown of until quite recently, what's "quite"? Was certainly already here 8 years ago.

There has never been a market for it here. Very small quantities have always been about yes, but we are talking practically nothing compared to heroin the choice of the irish junkie.

There had been a spike in finds/interest more recently. It is easy and cheap make and it is becoming more common in many countries. It has been more on the radar of the relevant authorities lately, hence the news today.

My original post was prob not that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Can a scientician tell me why the pharma companies can't / don't just do some of that brainy chemistry stuff to change the medicines so meth can't be made from them.

I mean, adjust one or two molecules here and there and you could still have a cough mix, but one that cant be used to cook meth ....yes? no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Rigol wrote: »
    Can a scientician tell me why the pharma companies can't / don't just do some of that brainy chemistry stuff to change the medicines so meth can't be made from them.

I mean, adjust one or two molecules here and there and you could still have a cough mix, but one that cant be used to cook meth ....yes? no?

Or you could equally make super-meth. So no.
    Also you would have to get the new drug tested for safety, efficacy and got through approval taking ten years and costing a mint. So also no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Jesus, its not that bad. Smoked it on a few occassions and didnt see what the big deal was.
    You do realise that the people they put in those documentaries and before/after pictures are extreme cases who've been gak'd out of it non-stop for months on end.
    Psychosis will occur from any stimulant due to sleep deprivation if you hammer it non-stop.
    The amount of hysteria in this thread is comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 plumbball

anhedonia wrote: »
    Jesus, its not that bad. Smoked it on a few occassions and didnt see what the big deal was.
    You do realise that the people they put in those documentaries and before/after pictures are extreme cases who've been gak'd out of it every day for months on end.
    Psychosis will occur from any stimulant due to sleep deprivation if you hammer it non-stop.
    The amount of hysteria in this thread is comical.

And that from a user.
    Nat Geog did a doco and it called it the most dangerous drug in the world.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D58u0MqOKPJM&ei=O29XUPk9xISFB5S5gLgB&usg=AFQjCNHBv8msbt9de4DW8Zg1HvyRWL-YwA&sig2=o0HspGAmYOdp9gMgyc6L4Q

Rigol wrote: »

It's produced by reducing ephedrine. Pseudoephedrine is the active ingredient in Sudafed. If they changed the molecule, ephidrine could still be derived from it. Everything has a precursor, so even if they banned pseudoephedrine completely, it'd still be relatively easy to produce it for use in illicit drugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoephedrine#Synthesis

If somebody's going to the hassle of cooking the stuff, it's not a stretch to assume that they don't care which recipe or methods are used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 plumbball

Looks like a great way to lose a few pounds.

1000 and 1000s

plumbball wrote: »

That's the documentary with the young couple who lose the plot and wind up dead innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Looks like a great way to lose a few pounds.

Methamphetamine is prescribed in the US for obesity, ADHD and off-label for narcolepsy, brand name Desoxyn.

Meth is not even a schedule 1 drug in the US, but schedule 2. It is definitely not the most dangerous drug in the world.

Its no worse or better than any other strong stimulant, you could get just as spun out by abusing Ritalin or Adderall every day for months on end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Anyone who watched Breaking Bad and then went "you know, that looks like a great idea" is pretty fcuking stupid.

I was just talking about this earlier after a former America's Next Top Model contestant came out as a meth addict. This picture shows what 5 years of meth does to you. Horrible drug.

• Advertisement
Advertisement