Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Studio. Right to left alignment. Question marks!!

Options
  • 17-09-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭

Ive got a project where the previous developer has placed a load of check boxes with text and a question mark and set the RightToLeft property to yes. This is in VS 2008 using Winforms

However the question mark is appearing at the start of the sentence not the end.

This only happens if the RightToLeft property is set to YES.

Any idea of a way to prevent this from happening. I cant find the setting anywhere and it shows fine on their machine!! Driving me nuts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Maybe I'm mistaken with regards to what it means for WinForms, but isn't right to left for arabic? You shouldn't be setting it to YES/True for English text.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Giblet wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mistaken with regards to what it means for WinForms, but isn't right to left for arabic? You shouldn't be setting it to YES/True for English text.

The right to left is just where it aligns the text inside the label. The empty spaces are to the right instead of the left.

Its not typing it in reverse order. Except for the ? mark!!

Well thats my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No I think there are two different settings that you are confusing. Text Alignment = left/right -> aligns the whole textblock with the margin. The "RightToLeft" setting is indeed for de fordiners and does something completely different.

Look for the other setting (called TextAlign maybe).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7d3337xw.aspx (is a common property in all ms gui frameworks)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

srsly78 wrote: »
    No I think there are two different settings that you are confusing. Text Alignment = left/right -> aligns the whole textblock with the margin. The "RightToLeft" setting is indeed for de fordiners and does something completely different.

Look for the other setting (called TextAlign maybe).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7d3337xw.aspx (is a common property in all ms gui frameworks)

You were correct.

I changed the RightToLeft = NO and then set the CheckAlign = MiddleRight and TextAlign = MiddleLeft in order to get it to look visually the same.

Now the question marks are in the correct place.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, I think that using righttoleft align text qualify for "coding nightmare' thread! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Previous developer needs to be taken out and shot. That property is really to cater only for Arabic/Asian character sets.

Forget having text on the checkboxes and use separate labels, that way you'll have total control over the appearance and justification.

Advertisement