Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet friendly furniture

• 17-09-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Just wondering would anyone know where I can get a durable throw for over the sofa that won't get ruined by the animals. The kitten has recently started using the leather sofa as a scratching post and spring board for jumping onto the next obstacle and because I'm renting I don't want him ruining it.
    Not really worried about how it looks other than it being a light colour as both cat and dog are notorious for white hairs. I was looking at the ones online with Argos but people were commenting that they aren't suitable for homes with pets (due to pulled threads and thinness).
    Any help appriciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Argos or Dunnes would be where we get ours. Depending on the size you might want to get one for the back of the sofa and one for the cushions you sit on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We got a gigantic blanket about 2 years ago for the couch in guineys. It has a picture of a black panther on it and my kitties adore sleeping on it. It also saves the back of the couch from getting ripped up during a stretch after a long stare out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've given up on ours it's so hard to keep a couch decent with animals, now I understand why some folks have a 'good room' that's only for special occasions lol. Has the cat got a scratching post/cat tower? If not check out zooplus they have loads of different ones and having the cat tower complete with scratching posts/hidey holes and cat nip embedded into it it might discourage the cat from using the couch and a launching pad.

I miss having cats, used to love watching kittens run up curtains now the dogs do all the vandalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Cheapy throws all the way - the expensive onse get ruined and they tend to be more difficult to care for (dry cleaning and such). Dunnes, Heatons and Tesco all have decent, but cheap, throws that look nice in loads of colours etc. I would buy a few so you can cover the whole couch.

Getting something else for the cats to scratch is also a really good idea so that they can still do what they do but not on the couch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭meow

You could put some plastic cover on the couch then put the throw over it??
    Our cats do the same.
    You can also get a scratching post, there's one that you screw onto corners, like a wall corner and encourage him to scratch on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

I use a roll of cheap foam 'groundsheet' type-thingy, that people use when camping, under their sleeping bag. I've bought them in the Euro2 shops.
    I usually wrap this around the base cushion of doggie's very own armchair, and throw a fleece throw on top, that covers the bottom and the back of the chair.
    Google Images for Foam groundsheet, and it should come up.

Advertisement