Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 23rd September 2012 K/O 1.30 PM (MOD NOTE #1, #254)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well at least it's 10 vs 10 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Awful refereeing. Not a red card imo.

The instructions to referees are that reckless challenges should be a red. Reckless challenges are interpreted to include a player not being in control of his body by lunging with his full bodyweight at an opponent.

That is communicated to players. Shelvey was dumb to make that challenge.

It doesn't matter whether people think it should be a red or not. Lawmakers decide that challenge is a red so players should comply with that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As a United fan, I think it was harsh. BUT if you leave the ground like that, you run the risk of the red...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Suarez looks like he's been working on those frees.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    Certainly not a high foot, should be yellow.

Winning the ball with the side of your foot is now a red, nuts. Crazy decision, especially since he has been very slow up to then even to yellow anyone. Letting Evra away with a warning for what was a stonewall yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I'm a United fan but that red card was shocking. Wtf is the ref doing. It was Evans that went in with two feet! Shelvey's tackle was grand and he got the ball.

Wrecked the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

murpho999 wrote: »
    So you can't make a sliding tackle anymore?

I thought this was a contact sport?

Sliding implies contact with the ground. The contact with Evans was not on his foot. Not much intent but it was reckless and the red card was correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Nice cross Nani!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

What has the game become, are hard tackles not allowed anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

10v10 now with giggs still on the pitch

edit: late!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CSF wrote: »
    Not that sort of contact. Definite red.

Disagree completely.

I worry for the future of the game if that's a red.

Bloody turning into basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Shelvey left his feet.. He gave the ref a decision to make. It was a harsh red but there is always that chance of red when you go in like he did.

Giggs for Scholes please.

Even with 10 men Liverpool are better.

LOL at Shelvey pointing at SAF!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Shelvey left his feet.. He gave the ref a decision to make. It was a harsh red but there is always that chance of red when you go in like he did.

Did you even see the replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Haha, Shelvey will have won a lot of people over having a right go at Ferdinand and Ferguson. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

greendom wrote: »
    murpho999 wrote: »
    So you can't make a sliding tackle anymore?

I thought this was a contact sport?

Sliding implies contact with the ground. The contact with Evans was not on his foot. Not much intent but it was reckless and the red card was correct.

Are two footed tackles allowed?
    Because that's how Evans went in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Owen_S wrote: »
    Getting the ball is irrelevant in many cases, I don't know why it's even used some arguments.

Oh really??????

What about Evras tackle on Sterling . He got the ball with the man . No foul.

Right decision.

I knew this game would be ruined and called it earlier. Incompetence in the refereeing is rife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Evans was off the ground too.

It was a 50/50 and he came off worse and the ref bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

OMG Ref. shocking. Liverpool on top and he had to give utd a hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Allen in more of his just passing sideways role??!. Of course he ran 20 yards into space and laid it off in front of him, but someone tell Shearer and his fanboys that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ambid wrote: »
    The instructions to referees are that reckless challenges should be a red. Reckless challenges are interpreted to include a player not being in control of his body by lunging with his full bodyweight at an opponent.

It doesn't matter whether people think it should be a red or not. Lawmakers decide that challenge is a red so players should comply with that.

That was not a reckless out of control studs up, etc challenge. The sanitisation of the game, and meek acceptance of same by fans who never played sport themselves at a high level, continues at pace. Very unfortunate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That lunge from Shelvey made Evans head expode :pac:

087nt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wonder if Shelvey accused Fergie of buying that one, haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I have to say I was worried when the whistle blew because in real time it looked like Evans made the worse lunge. The replays didn't do anything to convince me otherwise tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That's a shocking decision. How does Era get away with the same thing without a booking and Shelvey is sent off? It wasn't even a yellow.

The way Halsley has reffed the match, he's been overly leniant because of the fixture.

So if he's not booking Evra for that challenge, then Shelvey's surely should be a yellow.

I say it again though, Shelvey was stupid to go in like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    I'm a United fan but that red card was shocking. Wtf is the ref doing. It was Evans that went in with two feet! Shelvey's tackle was grand and he got the ball.

Wrecked the match.

same im a united fan and i thought the red was harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ferdinands madr some good tackles and interceptions so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

ambid wrote: »

I dont think many people know the laws of the game on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Allen in more of his just passing sideways role??!. Of course he ran 20 yards into space and laid it off in front of him, but someone tell Shearer and his fanboys that....

Once in a season, wow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Liverpool really just need to go out and spend money on a ''fox in the box'' type striker. Someone who will stick the ball in the net with one chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Well, at least our kit is very nice.

True, but it's that thing about consistency and the lack thereof. We'll see another one or two tackles like the Shelvey one and there'll be no red card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Fcuk sake Fergie change it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

el dude wrote: »
    Haha, Shelvey will have won a lot of people over having a right go at Ferdinand and Ferguson. :D

Not really. He should show some respect.

• Advertisement

Great challenge by Ferdinand there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ferdinand has been utds best player.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Grayditch wrote: »
    Wonder if Shelvey accused Fergie of buying that one, haha.

he wont be wrong, 12v11(or 10) as usuall

Shelveys reaction

A3etFTeCQAAP28X.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Liverpool dominating all over the pitch, United not getting a look in so far, but it is worth nothing with the score still at 0-0.

For the record I think it was a harsh red too, and it has ruined it for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Was a definite red, most felt that luiz should of been sent off yesterday, how does saying that the ref got it wrong by not sending him off make this tackle any less a red?

If I were a pool fan I would be pissed with shelvey for giving the ref a problem!

Incidentally, it was 4-1 for a red in this game! I thought about it!

Doesn't matter how many players are on the park, if united don't learn to make simple passes and hold onto possession, they will not win this game! Shocking stuff, hope Fergie rips the hole off them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

50-50 tackle....poor decision.....very harsh red....Evans didnt help either with his antics....sickening stuff

Once in a season, wow

Blinkered much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

These days, if you go in, off your feet, lunging, with two feet, over the top, even if it's a follow through, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a red card.

Whether those should be the rules is up for debate, but those are the rules these days. Ref implemented them properly.

Liverpool had that second half, but couldn't really create any clear cut shots, more close calls. I would imagine 10 v 11 should be easy enough for United, would like Cleverely on to move the ball quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Paully D wrote: »
    Liverpool really just need to go out and spend money on a ''fox in the box'' type striker. Someone who will stick the ball in the net with one chance.

A Steven Fletcher type player ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

he wont be wrong, 12v11(or 10) as usuall

Pure LOLCATS

United being bossed, even with an extra man. Need to get Giggs off and put on Scholes. Watch his tackling though.

We make scoring look so so hard. Whereas United will score with the one good chance they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

That red has been coming all season for Shelvey. His tacking is very dodgy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

OMG Ref. shocking. Liverpool on top and he had to give utd a hand.

Shocking post. So silly

• Advertisement
Advertisement