Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 23rd September 2012 K/O 1.30 PM (MOD NOTE #1, #254)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Fergie should cut out the posturing of late from these games and treat Liverpool as a team of the level they are at. League tables over last 2 and this season do not lie) Lets go for the jugular.

Fully expect to see the same team as CL game with maybe Rio coming in and possibly Nani out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It's UTD's to lose but if ever there is a game that form goes out the window for then this is it.

No Liverpool player will run the risk of not to be seen giving it 110%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can't see anything other than a Liverpool win, lose or draw.

Fergie should cut out the posturing of late from these games and treat Liverpool as a team of the level they are at. League tables over last 2 and this season do not lie) Lets go for the jugular.

Fully expect to see the same team as CL game with maybe Rio coming in and possibly Nani out.

So he's been going easy on Liverpool at Anfield the past few seasons has he?

Hmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So he's been going easy on Liverpool at Anfield the past few seasons has he?

Hmmm..

no, my point is he focused on the opposition ( like he does with city or chelsea) rather than treating it as a normal game. IMO he should let Pool worry about what we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Who cares about handshakes bar media and tabloid readers.

I'm more looking forward to Sterling v Evra if he plays(hopefully)

I get your point
    But on this day it would be almost as insulting to Man u fans as to Liverpool fans if Suarez did not behave and shake his hand
    The whole Tribute to 96 dead should put things in perspective for both Evra and Suarez hopefully
    It's not insulting to me, I really couldn't give a ****. But I hope for Suarez's sake that there's no drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nothing more pointless in a match thread than crests and elongated OPs copied from some site.

Actually, the post complaining about no crests is worse to be fair.

If people want to create a match thread what's wrong with them putting a bit of effort into it ?. Oh btw did I get the City crest wrong in my match threads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

This could end up being really humiliating for Liverpool.

They may get get themselves up for the game due to it being against United but their squad is so blunt and diminished this season i can't see them getting anything from the game.

Please do tell me more Willy. Your posts regarding LFC are so enlightening.

I6GSf.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

any united fans that expect an easy game, are off their rocker.

this will be out most difficult game so far this season and we are unlikley to play a game like it until we travel to City in a few weeks.

given the fact that we have been really poor in most of our games so far this season and really struggled in our two away games against teams who are strong in aerial battles, this is going to be a nightmare game.

if united are to win comfortably, it will be down to mistakes from liverpool and i dont think this will happen. some united fans need to calm down with the predictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i have to say...a very good interview here by Vidic.

hopefully he is correct on pretty much all counts.
    "Football is important, but it is never more important than life, any life," he said. "It doesn't matter if it's in England or Serbia or any part of the world, but football has had to deal with many tragedies too.

"There is a lot of history with these two clubs. We have some history as well, we have some tragedies, just like Liverpool. We should respect each other because we are big clubs and clubs that are respected in the world.

"We have to show an example and be on top of the bad situation and behave well and, I would say, be an example.

"At Anfield, we are on a test again, but I think Manchester Unitedfans are always an example of how supporters should behave. I don't have doubts that there will be a great atmosphere and there will be a good mood and they will support their players.

"I would just tell them to support their team. I don't have doubts that they will support us well. I have read about Hillsborough. It's a long time ago, but most important is that we have to respect any life and I think that we will do it on that day.

"I don't think it will be different for Liverpool fans. I don't know why we have to talk at all about the bad image. I agree we have to go to the people and say don't do anything bad.

"It's important to not do any stupid things in the game, to go there and play football - what we dream of, to play that derby and to be all about the football, not about the fighting or any other things."

"But they are coming there to enjoy the football and to support their teams. I've been here for seven years and I think our fans always behave well and they will do it again."

on Suarez/Evra:

"To be fair, I don't want to think about that handshake," he said. "If they shake hands, they shake hands - I don't think it's the most important thing in the world.

"It's important to not do any stupid things in the game, to go there and play football - what we dream of, to play that derby and to be all about the football, not about the fighting or any other things.

"We want to focus on the game. We have a theme, what happened in history about the fans and we have to respect that day. Obviously we cannot come with any other issues, we just come there to play football."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8096749/Football-is-never-more-important-than-life-says-Manchester-United-captain-Nemanja-Vidic

concentrate on the football, and everything will be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

any united fans that expect an easy game, are off their rocker.

this will be out most difficult game so far this season and we are unlikley to play a game like it until we travel to City in a few weeks.

given the fact that we have been really poor in most of our games so far this season and really struggled in our two away games against teams who are strong in aerial battles, this is going to be a nightmare game.

if united are to win comfortably, it will be down to mistakes from liverpool and i dont think this will happen. some united fans need to calm down with the predictions.

I agree, the first 15mins in particular are going to set the tone. You can bet your life on Liverpool being psyched right up for this. They will close down every man, chase every loose ball and be aggressive in every tackle.
    I see United really struggling in the middle of the park and we will need Val and Nani to shine in order to get the 3 points.

killwill wrote: »
    They will close down every man, chase every loose ball and be aggressive in every tackle.

^ exactly what I want to see ^

I hope Agger lets Van Persie know he is there early, and really let him know there is a game on.

i reckon Liverpool will go 1 up early.

if United stay solid enough, they'll pick us off late on IMO.

a nervy 2-1 Liverpool is my optimistic prediction.

2-2 is my actual prediction :p

last year, fergie made 5 or 6 changes to the team and it backfired.

hopefully he puts out our best 11 this time, as Liverpool have been rested for a week now and will have their full fit 11 out

its impossible to predict Fergie, but i am hoping its something like this -

De Gea
    Rafael Vidic Rio Evra
    Valencia Carrick Scholes Kagawa
    Rooney RVP.

when we play with Kagawa off the striker, it just is not working at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Not looking forward to this at all. I think Utd will definitely score more than one and I just cant see us scoring enough.

1-3 Utd :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Leiva wrote: »
    ^ exactly what I want to see ^

I hope Agger lets Van Persie know he is there early, and really let him know there is a game on.

Something like this ?

109B892C-35EC-4C5A-88BB-3DDB9A23C5D0-38301-00000CFCBBC060B0_zps80ac56d7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Great idea from Robbie Fowler, much as I dislike him :p

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19671995

You would HOPE *crosses fingers* that the fans don't abuse Suarez/Evra

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Something like this ?

109B892C-35EC-4C5A-88BB-3DDB9A23C5D0-38301-00000CFCBBC060B0_zps80ac56d7.jpg

Nah,

About 4ft lower and less studs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Will the Suarez Evra thing roll on
    Can he shake Evra's hand, Suarez is pretty stubborn
    Hate bringing it up, But again the Suarez Evra side show will get along of
    focus come kick off

oooo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

last year, fergie made 5 or 6 changes to the team and it backfired.

hopefully he puts out our best 11 this time, as Liverpool have been rested for a week now and will have their full fit 11 out

its impossible to predict Fergie, but i am hoping its something like this -

De Gea
    Rafael Vidic Rio Evra
    Valencia Carrick Scholes Kagawa
    Rooney RVP.

when we play with Kagawa off the striker, it just is not working at the moment.

Nani on the wing >> Kagawa on the wing and also their defensive contribution. Also Rooney won't be match fit, otherwise he would have been at least on the bench imo.

I would gladly take draw. Last few season our performances have been pathetic at Anfield and only decent performance was FA cup last season which we lost but we controlled the game.

Scholes played on weekend and midweek, can he play 3 games in 8 days.

I think we will play Carrick Anderson and Cleverley/Kagawa trio with RVP.
    Carrick Anderson

Valencia Kagawa Nani

RVP

Or

Carrick
    Anderson Cleverley
    Valencia
    Nani
    RVP

• Advertisement

cjmc wrote: »
    not want to start a whole issue here about suarez/evra again but listening to tim vicery/andy brassil on 5live they made a point that ONLY in the british media is it seen as suarez not shaking evras hand . in spain/s america its was seen as evra refusing. so i checked out the vid and sure enough suarez puts out his hand only for evra to keep his up . suarez then goes 'fine' and walks on and evra makes a big deal out of it .
    1-0 evra in the mind games and suarez was never in the game
    maybe some one could post a vid and we can all see .
    as someone said earlier the media can make their agenda seem fact

Why did he apologize then? Why did Dalglish gave that interview saying he thought Suarez would shake Evra's hand and he had no idea why he changed his mind.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Why did he apologize then? Why did Dalglish gave that interview saying he thought Suarez would shake Evra's hand and he had no idea why he changed his mind.

Can we all agree (both sets of fans) to just not go there ?

it has been done to death .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

cjmc wrote: »
    not want to start a whole issue here about suarez/evra again but listening to tim vicery/andy brassil on 5live they made a point that ONLY in the british media is it seen as suarez not shaking evras hand . in spain/s america its was seen as evra refusing. so i checked out the vid and sure enough suarez puts out his hand only for evra to keep his up . suarez then goes 'fine' and walks on and evra makes a big deal out of it .
    1-0 evra in the mind games and suarez was never in the game
    maybe some one could post a vid and we can all see .
    as someone said earlier the media can make their agenda seem fact
    Suarez publically admits to and apologises for not shaking Evra's hand. Media still have an agenda and are out to get Suarez. Awesome.

Yeah, shouldn't have replied tbh. Apologies.

Never have I heard more sense spoken on this topic. There is nothing positive that will come of this only infractions for some and blistering headaches for everybody else.

luckily Enrique was shít enough last night that there's no way Rodgers will play him.

thank you to Antonio Valancia for fúcking him up last year by the way, he hasn't been the same since.

Agger v RVP will be key.

the other key is how we defend counter attacks in particular. we've been very vulnerable to them so far this year, and without Lucas, someone is going to have to be disciplined, and stop the 2 on 2 counters that have been murdering us on occasion.

Rodgers HAS to realise Utd will flood players forward on the counter, and he has to find a way to stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cant wait for Sunday!!

Think it will be draw though 1-1. Maybe 2-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hopefully a nice heated game with plenty of controversy -

I reckon pool to score first and united to come back and score 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I cant wait for this game, everything points to a Man United win, but you just cant write Liverpool off against the big teams, they always plays out of their skin IMO, I think it'll be 3-2 Liverpool. I think Borini will bag himself a goal or 2 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Can we ban Hillborough talk until the game starts and allow it only in relation to to whatever tributes are going on and how they are received in this thread? I'm sick of hearing of the big bad United fans and some Liverpool fans shamefully using Hillsborough of all things to try and get one over on United fans. Obviously most fans from both sides wont get into it but the one or two that have been doing it have been very annoying.

Anyway hoping the same team that started the last game play with maybe just Cleverly in for Scholes if there has to be a change, they'll know that they can play better and that is the best 11 United can play at this stage and Nani is due a good game against Liverpool and Kagawa will really exploit their lack of a hard working DM. Hoping United can motivate themselves as well as Liverpool inevitably will. United should really win comfortably but as seen against Liverpool in the past that is not the case but with a new and inexperienced team I have a feeling that this is United's day to finally beat them big.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I seriously hope Giggs doesn't start cm

nuxxx wrote: »
    I seriously hope Giggs doesn't start cm

if he does, you'll immediately know that Ferguson, again, has over-thought and over-strategised the fixture.

happy days :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Prediction?

8 infractions, 5 bans. Being generous? Probably.

After seeing me before the game, Kagawa makes his long overdue heel turn during the 90 mins and sets up Liverpool chances before we proceed to duly repay his kindness by hitting the woodwork umpteen times.

Oh and the result? 1-1, Suarez OG and Evra OG. Just for the lulz like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ollie Holt suggesting Suarez and Evra laying wreaths at the match to be a good idea.
    I think peopled brains have turned to mush ahead of this match.
    F**k right off with that shìt.

you shouldn't really be reading anything by Ollie Holt ;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    I didn't seek him out,a mate sent a screenshot of his tweet.
    He got unfollowed a long time ago.

i just hope sane heads prevail, and whatever they do is simple and not contrived.

if a wreath is to be laid, and/or balloons are to released, have the managers or captains do it.

have a round of applause towards the fans. not silence. not Utd players clapping Liverpool onto the pitch.

simple, effective.

respect is paid, and the football can be got on with.

both sides have spoken very well about the occasion so far. i hope idiots in the crowd don't ruin it, and i hope powers that be don't make the teams do shít that looks stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

The media are giving this a stupidly hyped build up, mainly focussing on the negative aspects, possibly because it's a fairly standard league challengers vs mid table team match and there isn't that much to get excited about from the football side of things. But as a rivalry it's extremely tame relative to some genuinely nasty ones in other leagues and no way justifies all the attention a couple of mind dead idiots singing about rivals past disasters are being given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Ollie Holt suggesting Suarez and Evra laying wreaths at the match to be a good idea.

It is an idiotic suggestion tbh, but from what I gather Holt is just repeating what Robbie Fowler suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Worse than that!

I could kinda grasp what he meant if it was for Hillsborough only but would still think it was silly involving Evra/Suarez but to add a tribute to Munich , I mean why bring it up at all. Bizarre suggestion.

The way things are going I half expect people to tut tut & analyse if there is as much as a Booooooooo at the game :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19671995
    "It would be nice for Luis Suarez to put some flowers at the United end regarding Munich, and for Patrice Evra to do so at the Kop," Fowler said.

"The two clubs do have a rivalry, but some things are far more important than football and this is one of them."
    Fowler, 37, feels that Suarez should commemorate the Munich air disaster of 1958, in which eight Manchester United players and three club staff died, while Evra should pay tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans killed at the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough in 1989.

Kess73 wrote: »

It is an idiotic suggestion tbh, but from what I gather Holt is just repeating what Robbie Fowler suggested.
    Maybe so,didnt hear any mention of Fowler.
    As Slick said,captains or managers is fine.
    No need to drag up a completely seperate incident.

I believe it was actually Fowler's idea. Ridiculous in fairness. I don't think there is one Liverpool fan would want to see Evra lay a wreath as a mark of respect because rightly or wrongly they don't respect him.
    I think both managers should lay a wreath. It would have been nice if it could have been Dalglish with SAF. I reckon that would have meant alot to the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone suggesting evra laying a wreath is wrong shame on you, he is just as entitled to show respect for the dead than anyone here or Liverpool fans. It's a sign of respect for the dead forget lfc or it's fans what about those that died or the deads families?? That's who should be shown respect certainly not the kop IMO anyways!!!

BOTH teams should show respect and dignity anyone that doesn't shame on you

Anyone suggesting evra laying a wreath is wrong shame on you

it's not wrong.

it would just be weird, and it would be asking for the numpties in attendance to go off on one, thus potentially ruining anything ceremonial that is taking place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

it's not wrong.

it would just be weird, and it would be asking for the numpties in attendance to go off on one, thus potentially ruining anything ceremonial that is taking place.

Ok showing respect for the dead -NOT LFC- is wrong how??

Did you think that post through?

• Advertisement

ah here, this whole report thing is getting out of hand now and is completely detracting from the game and the rivalry, which is the biggest in the english game, one of the biggest in the world.

i cant believe people are being so naive as to think that everything should be and will be plain sailing, about something that in all fairness, has nothing to do with United or the problems between the two clubs.

ah here, this whole report thing is getting out of hand now and is completely detracting from the game and the rivalry, which is the biggest in the english game, one of the biggest in the world.

i cant believe people are being so naive as to think that everything should be and will be plain sailing, about something that in all fairness, has nothing to do with United or the problems between the two clubs.

No it's not.

It's much more important than this game tbf.

Ok showing respect for the dead -NOT LFC- is wrong how??

:confused:

No it's not.

It's much more important than this game tbf.

for gods sake. whats important is that the familys get justice and the report has helped this to potentially happen.

laying wreathes and releasing baloons and all this other side show, is not important. this is a football match the next day and its threatening to turn into a farce and its the media thats doing this. some of the things that have been written are just OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Anyone suggesting evra laying a wreath is wrong shame on you, he is just as entitled to show respect for the dead than anyone here or Liverpool fans. It's a sign of respect for the dead forget lfc or it's fans what about those that died or the deads families?? That's who should be shown respect certainly not the kop IMO anyways!!!

BOTH teams should show respect and dignity anyone that doesn't shame on you
    It's not wrong - it's ill-advised, because it invites fans from both sides to jeer at them.

Also the fact that a] it's Suarez and Evra after their history, and b] Suarez laying the reed for Munich even though it had no connection to Hillsborough, it feels very artificial to me. That's not to say that their hearts wouldn't be in it, but it just doesn't feel right to me

• Advertisement
Advertisement