Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 23rd September 2012 K/O 1.30 PM (MOD NOTE #1, #254)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ok showing respect for the dead -NOT LFC- is wrong how??

Did you think that post through?

are you thinking this situation through?

why on earth would you have Evra, of all people, have any prominent role in any ceremonial thing on Sunday?

1) Vidic is the captain. Ferguson is the manager.
    2) many Liverpool fans, rightly or wrongly, look at Evra as public enemy no. 1.

it is just asking for trouble to have Evra as the United representative in any wreath laying, balloon releasing, or whatever.

yes, the ceremony is not about football, so whoever does it, it shouldn't matter. but unfortunately, not everyone will see it that way, and if you have Evra paying respects publicly on behalf of Utd, in Anfield, at the Kop end potentially, there will be unrest, or God forbid, boos, and it would ruin the occasion for everyone, including Evra i might add, who may well himself want to pay his respects privately without having to worry about an adverse reaction.

it would be monumentally stupid to have him, or Suarez have a prominent role in any ceremony, as there is no need to mix the race row into the occasion, because you're just asking for trouble from idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rarnes1 wrote: »
    No it's not.

It's much more important than this game tbf.
    It's much more important to the people of Liverpool,especially the families who have lost somebody and have finally got their justice.

To Irish,Manchester United fans it's unfair to expect a report or ruling or whatever to be more important than the game.
    The way I see it is 96 people were killed 23 years ago,the football doesn't come into it.
    It's sad,it was unnecessary but I don't see it any different than 9/11,Haiti earthquake,Japanese tsunami etc.
    Any loss of life like that in great numbers is tragic.

It has brought it all to the surface again for the people of Liverpool and they have every right to do whatever they think is necessary to remember the 96,all that can be expected of anybody else is to respect it and let them get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Having Suarez & Evra laying wreaths would be akin to getting Larry Murphy to cut the ribbon on a new rape crisis centre.It'd be wrong on so many levels.

Let Fergie & Rogers take care of the ceremonial stuff & let the players concentrate on the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Suarez should shake Evra's hand in warm up, Run down that end and shake his hand,Before eyes of sky are focused on them both in line up
    Do it out of blue, While no one is paying attention
    I'd love to see that
    Would get a lot of respect Suarez if he initiated such a gesture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

I don't see the recent hardon with crests. It's baffling tbh :confused:

Surely fans know their own crests at this stage and don't need them pointed out.

No "hardon" here. Just done in the spirit of helping out. Alot of matchday threads appear to have some sort of crest based artsy thing etc. in post #1.

1-1 on Sunday i'd reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Suggesting Evra & Suarez lay wreaths is just a retarded way of trying to kill two birds with one stone .

1.)Let the two of them handshake - hopefully then that's end of that fúckfest forever.

2.)Let the club have a ceremony for the 96 with UTD being respectful - hopefully the crowd respect that.

3.)Let the game begin.

END.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

zerks wrote: »
    Having Suarez & Evra laying wreaths would be akin to getting Larry Murphy to cut the ribbon on a new rape crisis centre.It'd be wrong on so many levels.

Let Fergie & Rogers take care of the ceremonial stuff & let the players concentrate on the football.

Did evra or Suarez have anything to do with hillsborough? No so how is it same as party murphy opening a rape crisis centre?

I couldn't give a toss about lfc they don't threaten us as they are a mid table team tbh, but I feel for hillsborough dead and their families. Lfc fans are using this game to fire **** at united saying we did this that etc etc!!!

Generally united fans are compassionate re hillsborough but why should we bow incase it offends lfc???

Always look out on runway for ice chant says it all tbh what about our history you lot mock our great legacy week in week out tbh.

The ceremony should be about those that died not Liverpool football club, and the game should be about the match end of!!

Jesus the amount of drama queens in
    Here whining is unreal I bet most know nothing about hillsborough!!!

Back to the game please!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did evra or Suarez have anything to do with hillsborough? No so how is it same as party murphy opening a rape crisis centre?

I couldn't give a toss about lfc they don't threaten us as they are a mid table team tbh, but I feel for hillsborough dead and their families. Lfc fans are using this game to fire **** at united saying we did this that etc etc!!!

Generally united fans are compassionate re hillsborough but why should we bow incase it offends lfc???

Always look out on runway for ice chant says it all tbh what about our history you lot mock our great legacy week in week out tbh.

The ceremony should be about those that died not Liverpool football club, and the game should be about the match end of!!

Jesus the amount of drama queens in
    Here whining is unreal I bet most know nothing about hillsborough!!!

Back to the game please!!

My point about Evra & Suarez is that they are hate figures for both Liverpool & United fans so they'd be the wrong choice for anything ceremonial.

Good post though,too many have been caught up in Hillsborough fever & are forgetting about the football,as you said:some are simply looking to jump down poster's necks at the mere mention of the word.

I remember watching the events live on tv as I did Heysel & Bradford.Many posting here weren't even born then.

Lets hope the talk during & after the game is about the match & nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

off Phil McNulty's Twitter:
    Breaking: SAF has written a letter to #mufc fans which will be handed out at the away turnstiles on Sunday. Will tweet. #mufc #lfc
    SAF: "Today is about much more than not blocking gangways. Today is about thinking hard about what makes United the best club in the world."
    SAF: "Our great club stands with our great neighbours Liverpool today to remember that loss and pay tribute to their campaign for justice."

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

It should be very interesting to see if United fans actually appreciate what Sir Alex says and whether or not they act in accordance to his wishes. He was badly let down by a section of the support last week, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened again on Sunday.

Sir Alex is a legendary manager and one of the all time greats within the game of football. If all United fans can't follow his words and display empathy with those that died then many will lose respect for the footballing institution that is Manchester United.

I predict a Liverpool win but but hopefully football and human compassion itself are the winners on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Ares wrote: »
    It should be very interesting to see if United fans actually appreciate what Sir Alex says and whether or not they act in accordance to his wishes. He was badly let down by a section of the support last week, and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened again on Sunday.

Sir Alex is a legendary manager and one of the all time greats within the game of football. If all United fans can't follow his words and display empathy with those that died then many will lose respect for the footballing institution that is Manchester United.

I predict a Liverpool win but but hopefully football and human compassion itself are the winners on Sunday.

Jesus high horse?? Hop off it here

The Koop are one of the vilest supporters u could come across remember that please. SAF can't stop a group of 20 singing scummy songs same as Rodgers can't stop scummy life fans singing bout Munich.

Why can't we concentrate on match? ****ing media circus now embarrassing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

The Koop are one of the vilest supporters u could come across remember that please. SAF can't stop a group of 20 singing scummy songs same as Rodgers can't stop scummy life fans singing bout Munich.

Why can't we concentrate on match? ****ing media circus now embarrassing really.

So much wrong with your post, it's not even funny.

People may not be concentrating on the match as much as normal because of recent revelations, did you think of that? Utd are coming to our home, at a time when people are extending olive branches, it would be foolish not to try repair some damage. The last thing we need is fools ruining that. If Utd fans don't listen to SAF, then I don't know who they'd listen to. And your comment about "the Koop" is laughable, they have one of the best reputations in world sport.
    What's embarrassing is you having complete disregard about the media "circus" that is after all, focussing on events where people lost their lives, to concentrate on what is at the end of the day, only a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The Koop are one of the vilest supporters u could .

is that like D4 twang :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I personally hope for war. Neither team mean anything to me so a good game with loads of controversy, a ridiculous sending off, a Suarez/evra punch up and 25 minutes fergie time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Silly statement to come out with. Every club has "vile" supporters. Unfortunately nothing anybody says will ever stop those supporters from embarrassing their clubs, be it SAF or any other manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh unbelievable (this match will be) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

While there are obvious concerns over the United fans, we must also hope that the Liverpool fans don't overshadow the game by booing Evra. In a period where victims are getting justice, it would be highly hypocritical if Evra got booed for being a different kind of victim that got justice. It's something that the media will jump on, so the onus is on both sets of fans to be sensible

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    While there are obvious concerns over the United fans, we must also hope that the Liverpool fans don't overshadow the game by booing Evra. In a period where victims are getting justice, it would be highly hypocritical if Evra got booed for being a different kind of victim that got justice. It's something that the media will jump on, so the onus is on both sets of fans to be sensible

Good point actually but somehow I don't see some Liverpool fans seeing it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ares wrote: »

Find you typing 'get down off your high horse' very hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Fowler's suggestion r.e Suarez and Evra is idiotic. But not surprising coming from him really.

Koop_Dairy.svg

killwill wrote: »
    Hulk Hands wrote: »

Good point actually but somehow I don't see some Liverpool fans seeing it that way.
    Evra / Suarez situation != Hillsborough disaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Find you pming me asking me to put crests up kinda weird tbh!! It is what it is!!!

Evra / Suarez situation != Hillsborough disaster

Nobody stated they were equal. Just booing a victim on such a day would be in poor taste. Kinda like the Fox Sport poster alot of Liverpool fans were going on about.

Find you pming me asking me to put crests up kinda weird tbh!! It is what it is!!!
    Huh? I PM'd you nothing.

• Advertisement

Koop_Dairy.svg

CHILDISH.

iPhone spelt Koop instead of kop but sure well done!!

Koop_Dairy.svg

What is this? I cant see anything.

Huh? I PM'd you nothing.

Lol lucky charms did sorry my apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

We are not having this can of worms open again. I'm closing the thread for ~5 mins. When I open it again can we not have any more posts on the racism incedent. All it will lead to is trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ok, open again. Let's get back to talking about the match on Sunday.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Ok, open again. Let's get back to talking about the match on Sunday.

Going for a Donegal win myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Been a long time since the match was actually talked about in this thread, so how does everyone think Liverpools CB pairing will cope with VP and Dizzie Wellbz?

City - Arsenal is on after the pool game I think so decent match to watch after

curry-muff wrote: »
    Been a long time since the match was actually talked about in this thread, so how does everyone think Liverpools CB pairing will cope with VP and Dizzie Wellbz?

You'd have to let us know who Dizzie is first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The minor match on Sunday will be ignored by every pub in Ireland seemingly. Hopefully will be a great game.

Hard to know. Van Persie only needs a sniff but they are well capable of keeping him quiet.

He scored last time out at Anfield for Arsenal late on to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Once again I'll miss this game. Heading to croker. Hopefully a Donegal and Liverpool double victory! Enjoy the game everyone and keep her between the ditches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

You'd have to let us know who Dizzie is first?

Exactly, sure everyone knows it's spelt 'Dizzy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CHILDISH.

iPhone spelt Koop instead of kop but sure well done!!

My iPhone spelt kop correctly, hang on I'll try it again kop kop kop kop. Yep it's not the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I'll be expecting it to be RVP on his own. Not that bothered about the strikers as Agger/Skrtel should be good enough to handle anyone. More worried about Kagawa between the lines operating in that zone 14 area without Lucas. Allen will have to show some real discipline in the holding role if he plays in that position. Kagawa also tends to drop back into the midfield to protect the two behind so I hope Gerrard will do the same or we could end up getting outnumber quite often in the middle.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

niallo27 wrote: »
    My iPhone spelt kop correctly, hang on I'll try it again kop kop kop kop. Yep it's not the iPhone.

is this what we are reduced to :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

opr wrote: »
    I'll be expecting it to be RVP on his own. Not that bothered about the strikers as Agger/Skrtel should be good enough to handle anyone. More worried about Kagawa between the lines operating in that zone 14 area without Lucas. Allen will have to show some real discipline in the holding role if he plays in that position. Kagawa also tends to drop back into the midfield to protect the two behind so I hope Gerrard will do the same or we could end up getting outnumber quite often in the middle.

Opr

No! Stop right now. Do not let this become a thing that people say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

The minor match on Sunday will be ignored by every pub in Ireland seemingly. Hopefully will be a great game.

And the senior game if they've any sense. City v Arsenal is on.

Pro. F wrote: »

Yes and could people also not say "metronome" and "in goals" also!

Pro. F wrote: »

I was sick of calling in the hole after the Young Boy jokes last night ;)

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I predict a score draw, probably 1-1, but 2-2 could be worth a shout at decent odds. Both defences looking quite leaky this year.

I imagine Liverpool will have more possession, more pressure but will be let down again by poor finishing and mistakes at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Skrtel and 2-2 scorecast at 225/1 on Paddypower is surely worth a euro.

Liverpool have been strong at set-pieces and Skrtel has improved this in his game the last year or two and is probably our biggest threat in this regard. United have not been strong at defending set-pieces.

Like I said, I expect goals with both teams weak in defence. United with the attacking quality to hurt us, and Liverpool with home advantage will likely cancel each other out.

These games often end in draws too.

It's a longshot but worth a punt at those massive odds.

Just to remind you the last bet I posted up here was a winner of Downing to score first, so if that can come through anything is possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Morzadec wrote: »
    Skrtel and 2-2 scorecast at 225/1 on Paddypower is surely worth a euro.

Liverpool have been strong at set-pieces and Skrtel has improved this in his game the last year or two and is probably our biggest threat in this regard. United have not been strong at defending set-pieces.

Like I said, I expect goals with both teams weak in defence. United with the attacking quality to hurt us, and Liverpool with home advantage will likely cancel each other out.

These games often end in draws too.

It's a longshot but worth a punt at those massive odds.

Just to remind you the last bet I posted up here was a winner of Downing to score first, so if that can come through anything is possible!
    This is a very different United to recent years though with Kagawa and RVP playing. If United can up the pace to the level they had in the 2nd half against Wigan then it's no contest. There is the risk of Fergie making stupid selection and tactical decisions but I can't see for a second Liverpool being able to contain the front players who played in midweek which Fergie hopefully sticks with, doubtful he will though which could be a problem.

Liam O wrote: »
    This is a very different United to recent years though with Kagawa and RVP playing. If United can up the pace to the level they had in the 2nd half against Wigan then it's no contest. There is the risk of Fergie making stupid selection and tactical decisions but I can't see for a second Liverpool being able to contain the front players who played in midweek which Fergie hopefully sticks with, doubtful he will though which could be a problem.

In fairness the only game so far this season when you have looked decent is that second half against Wigan. Glad you seem to think based on that 45 minutes of football you're gonna crush but I can't see it.

You got deservedly beat by Everton, got played off the park for large parts of the game against Fulham and Southampton, both times lucky to come away with the result. You put in another limp performance in Europe against Galatasaray.

If you think anyone is looking at this United team compared to previous years and shaking in their boots, well guess what they're not and for good reason.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

opr wrote: »
    In fairness the only game so far this season when you have looked decent is that second half against Wigan. Glad you seem to think based on that 45 minutes of football you're gonna crush but I can't see it.

It's probably half to do with Liverpool looking pathetic for the majority of their season

Advertisement