Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 23rd September 2012 K/O 1.30 PM (MOD NOTE #1, #254)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Never a red and never a peno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

zerks wrote: »
    Who plays the ball?

tackle.jpg

Shelvey's foot looks shopped:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

opr wrote: »
    His studs were no were near the player? I'm deluded with the best of them at times but ...

A3fLYB2CEAAmY-z.jpg

Opr

Yes Evans tapped Shelvey on the follow through but he was in control of it. If you watch the video, Evans foot taps Lex Luthor then pulls back. It was a great decision by the ref. Definite red. Definite free to Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Never a red and never a peno.

Mod of ranting & raving-very apt going by this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The real cheery on top is that the ref thinks after giving that red that his is a yellow :pac:

8015570343_ebdbf951aa_o.gif

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The real cheery on top is that the ref thinks after giving that red that his is a yellow :pac:

Opr

I know. That's mental.

It wasn't even a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

3 points. Absolutely love it. Red Army!

Opr

Foot is pointed at the ground. Makes full contact with the ball and no contact with the player. Wasn't even a free. It was 11 v 11 after all. :pac:

I think the image I posted shows it more clearly that Evans made contact with the ball while Shelvey went over it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80910345&postcount=1496

No one cares who made contact with what or who did it first. The picture was just to show he had high studs at the point of impact. Either way it doesn't matter, you are not allowed to leave the ground two footed with studs showing no matter what the eventual outcome of the challenge is.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Opr

You're moaning that the ref should have only given a yellow to shelvey and moaning that he did give a yellow for that? Make up your mind, what punishment do you want for that type of tackle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Opr
    He doesn't go over the top,his foot as actually on the ground at the point of contact.
    If anything that gif clears it up even more that it wasn't a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Who plays the ball?

tackle.jpg

Don't understand this rationale, it may of taken u a while to freeze that frame to get the perfect angle but Evans kicks the ball onto shelveys foot, if the ball had of squirmed some other direction rather than onto shelveys foot - its a closed case.

My apologies Opr to say the studs weren't near him but Evans right leg had already gone by the incoming left leg and Evans left leg swung through the ball and into shelveys leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mod of ranting & raving-very apt going by this post.

You call that a rant? Jesus, how soft are you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't know why people are using freeze-frames when gifs show exactly what happened and why Shelvey deserved to go.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't know why people are using freeze-frames when gifs show exactly what happened and why Shelvey deserved to go.

This x 1 million

cambo2008 wrote: »
    He doesn't go over the top,his foot as actually on the ground at the point of contact.
    If anything that gif clears it up even more that it wasn't a red.

I sincerely hope some people are trolling in this thread as it's hard to believe they're actually that stupid. If he is a second later or Suso doesn't move his foot in time that could have been a horrific injury. People don't seem to understand you can't tackle in certain ways no matter what the actual outcome of the challenge. Anyway I'm done.

Opr

I sincerely hope some people are trolling in this thread as it's hard to believe they're actually that stupid. If he is a second later or Suso doesn't move his foot in time that could have been a horrific injury. People don't seem to understand you can't tackle in certain ways no matter what the actual outcome of the challenge. Anyway I'm done.

Opr
    I could say the same about you.
    It was a yellow all day long.
    Anyone that still maintains it's a red after seeing it over and over again is a troll or stupid.
    See how that works?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Well at the moment he is running the channels and getting into the box chasing balls. Overworked at the minute.

I don't have his stats at Ajax but would be surprised if he is playing the same role at Liverpool as he did at Ajax.

As I've stressed numerous times in the Liverpool thread. Suarez was and should be a wing forward for club. He played as a right wing forward for Ajax, with Huntelaar playing centrally and when he left, El Hamdaoui took up his role and played centrally. Overall, he'll have a somewhat free role of course but his base position is from the right hand side. He (Suarez) has never been clinical as such. Suggesting he is a poacher is plainly wrong. Look at his chance / conversion rate for Ajax. As I said, Ajax fans will tell you as much as well.

Thread is shít and that's just that. Allow me to add my own bowel contents so. After a performance like that, I'd expect to wander in here and see endless posts from Liverpool fans criticising the owner/manager's fatal error in not properly bolstering their strikeforce during the summer. Really, how many chances does one need to put the ball in the net? But no, instead we have page upon page of whinging and petty moaning about the ref/United's Motm/match-ruiner extraordinaire.

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt Liverpool played the much better football over the 90+ minutes, you'd have to go back to maybe last year's CL to see a worse performance from a United team. No doubt if the Premier League table was made to reflect which team 'deserved it the most' and 'moral victories' then Liverpool would be clear at the top rather than flirting with relegation. I was so relieved as a United fan when the final whistle blew, we robbed it and those last few minutes were very nervy. But since I came in here and read some of the outright whinging by in fairness a large majority of the Pool fans, I am now overcome with glee as if we won 5-0 with Barcelona-style football.

For the record...
    If Shelvy hadn't have received the red card I wouldn't have been outraged, but he was a running a little hot from the start and has no one to blame but himself.

The peno was a peno, I've seen them given for far less.

RVP was lucky himself not to receive a caution/red for his ambitious semi-lunge.

The ref had a poorish game because he killed the momentum far too many times when he should have let it slide and played advantage, but otherwise I don't think he was as 'horrific' as some posters made him out to be. Plus, we the viewers have the benefit of countless replays/100x zoom/slow motion to reach our decisions.

Don't worry Pool fans, you will have your 'cup final victory' soon when we get beaten at home by Reading or Norwich, but for now maybe stop looking outside your house for someone to blame for your inability to finish the chances that you bust your balls to create. Poor refereeing is not the reason you are currently 3rd from bottom with 2 points from 5 games, I don't know what the reason is but that isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Lovely goal for Raf delighted for him.

rafaelequaliser.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

DPfU1.gif

The tackle I was talking about earlier. Holden is high and misses making full contact with Evans' knee. Was he sent off? No, because Evans' tackle was deemed to have made more contact - it injured Holden after all - and was more out of control. This is how a ref will look at it.

Like it or not, a ref will not send off two players in these instances - history shows us that you very rarely, if ever, get two players sent off for a tackle. He'll punish who he deems to be the major aggressor. In this case, he believes it's Shelvey. If Shelvey had made an attempt to get out of the way and Evans made the tackle he did in the first place, he would have given the ref a decision to make. Like Kompany against United last year, although he makes little to no contact on the player the ref could deem him to be out of control and send him off.

Whilst I sympathise with the Liverpool fans who feel aggrieved, the ref, like any ref you can name, was only going to make one decision. Shelvey was rightfully sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Losing the game was bad enough but seeing the behaviour of a large portion of United fans after the game was even worse. Hopefully United make some attempt to ban people involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Losing the game was bad enough but seeing the behaviour of a large portion of United fans after the game was even worse. Hopefully United make some attempt to ban people involved.

More info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Charming fans, after all that's been said all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Stretcher men are about as useful as the Spanish Announce team on WWE.

My favourite post in the thread :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

That was indefencible, a bit like the liverpool supporters who made the airplane gestures and spent the whole game booing evra. Please show your disgust for both sets and don't be selective

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Ferguson Neville Redknapp can all talk about respect, and that both sets of fans were respectful. But Utd fans have let themselves down. Disgraceful really. What were they thinking?
    Shame they couldnt take an example from the Everton fans last monday.

That was indefencible, a bit like the liverpool supporters who made the airplane gestures and spent the whole game booing evra. Please show your disgust for both sets and don't be selective

One Liverpool fan allegedly removed for an airplane gesture, full section of united fans singing offensive songs... yeah thats comparable.

You can fu*k off with bringing the Evra crap into it, players get booed constantly in every game thats normal. You dont see Liverpool fans complaining about the songs directed at Suarez today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Where is your proof that Liverpool supporters did that? I have seen a few people say it but nothing to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

The booing evra thing, while ****ty as it is, Isint even a drop in the ocean in terms of vileness in comparison to the hillsborough chanting after the game so it's pointless to even mention it along side it.

Whoever was doing the aeroplane Munich reference is just a vile ****, no place for any people like that anywhere.

inmyday wrote: »
    Ferguson Neville Redknapp can all talk about respect, and that both sets of fans were respectful. But Utd fans have let themselves down. Disgraceful really. What were they thinking?
    Shame they couldnt take an example from the Everton fans last monday.

Both sets of fans were at it. Arseholes will always be a part of British football culture.

Is anybody really surprised there was chanting like that?
    C**ts will be c**ts at the end of the day. I would have been more surprised if there was no chanting.

Yea one Liverpool fan acted the muppet and was rightfully kicked out straight away. Hopefully a ban will follow. With what Fergie said all week it's a huge shame the such a big portion of United fans felt it acceptable to sing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

That's inexcusable behaviour and disgraceful carry on by Manutd fans. No excuses and no fan should attempt to defend it. That's the lowest of the low IMO, unbelievable after the week the familes have had. No respect :mad:.

Rant over!!

• Advertisement

One Liverpool fan allegedly removed for an airplane gesture, full section of united fans singing offensive songs... yeah thats comparable.

You can fu*k off with bringing the Evra crap into it, players get booed constantly in every game thats normal. You dont see Liverpool fans complaining about the songs directed at Suarez today.
    One fan allegedly caught doing it. Doesn't necessarily mean only one fan was doing it.

Liverpool have plenty of scumbag fans as do United. Why the f**k do we have to do this shìt everytime.

Yea one Liverpool fan acted the muppet and was rightfully kicked out straight away. Hopefully a ban will follow. With what Fergie said all week it's a huge shame the such a big portion of United fans felt it acceptable to sing that.

*A small minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

inmyday wrote: »
    What were they thinking?
    Sadly some supporters are wound up too easily.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    *A small minority.

Sounded a lot more than a small miniority tbh.

That doesn't sound like a minority? It sounds like a full stand of people in full voice? Can't quite get my head around it.

Opr

• Advertisement

*A small minority.

Isolating microphones in certain areas will give that impression.
    It wasn't audible during the game.

Tbh a small minority of both fans do this stuff everytime mate. Live in the real world please.

Probably because it wasn't sang during the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is anybody really surprised there was chanting like that?
    C**ts will be c**ts at the end of the day. I would have been more surprised if there was no chanting.

Man United fans chanting 'ah sure it's only c*nt's chanting, we would all be surprised if they didn't do it.'
    One fan allegedly caught doing it. Doesn't necessarily mean only one fan was doing it.

One Liverpool fan caught making gestures....'it must have been more, we both have equal amounts of c*nt fans, lets not focus on the details of what happened today.'

:rolleyes:

*A small minority.

Small minority my hole, it was the vast majority in Anfield today. A small minority does't get noise levels as loud as were heard after the game today.

Probably because it wasn't sang during the game.
    "where's your Munich song" was during the game and not audible.
    What you are hearing on SSN are isolated microphones.

Small minority my hole, it was the vast majority in Anfield today. A small minority does't get noise levels as loud as were heard after the game today.

Swayed by an altered internet video. Oh my.

The fans that sang that are scum but it was obviously a small minority.

What answer are you looking for? "Yes all United fans have no empathy for Hillsborough. We are glad it happened. May Fergie dance on their graves ever more."

No chants or very little happened during the game. Most reports from fans who were at the game said they heard nothing during the match. This all happened after the cowards thought the cameras had gone. That sounds like a full stand of people singing. I know we all have idiot fans and muppets will be muppets but for **** sake that is not a minority of people.

Opr

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Man United fans chanting 'ah sure it's only c*nt's chanting, we would all be surprised if they didn't do it.'
    Wtf are you on about??

No chants or very little happened during the game. Most reports from fans who were at the game said they heard nothing during the match. This all happened after the cowards thought the cameras had gone. That sounds like a full stand of people singing. I know we all have idiot fans and muppets will be muppets but for **** sake that is not a minority of people.

Opr
    The fact that nobody heard "where's your famous Munich song" during the game and it's clearly audible on SSN should tell you something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement