Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 23rd September 2012 K/O 1.30 PM (MOD NOTE #1, #254)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not going to read the thread...

- if Jonjo deserved to go, then Evans deserved to go.
    - Jonjo was an idiot to give him a decision to make.
    - Liverpool were by far the better team, but we need to start finishing our chances.
    - Borini is not a LF.
    - Allen is awesome, as was Gerrard today.
    - the penalty was a soft one, but he did flick at him.
    - i've barely seen Utd so bad, and not that it matters, but i don't think they'd have won 11 on 11 or 10 on 10.

overall, just very proud of the way we played though, and we have to bring that to the decent run of games now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

killwill wrote: »
    Wow Hansen gives the ref 10/10.

Hansen ???

Lol

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Oh ya Desmond, what about Joe Allen today, great performance full of drive and energy.

Perhaps he's not the donkey you thought he was. Perhaps that it is you who is the donkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Whatever about the chanting, the abusive tweets being directed at Mark Halsey tonight are absolutely sickening.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/09/23/3398119/referee-mark-halsey-receives-twitter-abuse-following
    Disgusting stuff from Liverpool fans....now where did I put my high horse....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Ares wrote: »
    Oh ya Desmond, what about Joe Allen today, great performance full of drive and energy.

Perhaps he's not the donkey you thought he was. Perhaps that it is you who is the donkey?

He was "meh" really. He made a lot of passes and had 1 or 2 drives forward but nothing to write home about. I would imagine the way united played today, they would have dropped points to most of the top teams in england even with a man up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

May have already been posted:

Shelvey sent off on 38:58. Gerrard scores on 45:51. Rafael equalises on 51:45. RVP scores the penalty on 80:16. All add up to 96.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whatever about the chanting, the abusive tweets being directed at Mark Halsey tonight are absolutely sickening.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/09/23/3398119/referee-mark-halsey-receives-twitter-abuse-following

The Liverpool fans making the aeroplane gestures was sickening, the United fans chanting murderers in response was also sickening, neither is exactly shocking though is it, and neither is a ref getting abuse after a hyped up game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

kayevajo wrote: »
    any one elses notice that johnson was in an offside position for gerrards goal?
    Babe, how many times do I have to explain offside to you.
    Now back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Paully D wrote: »
    May have already been posted:

Shelvey sent off on 38:58. Gerrard scores on 45:51. Rafael equalises on 51:45. RVP scores the penalty on 80:16. All add up to 96.

:eek:

Shelvey wasn't sent off at 38:58... attached screenshot as proof. People just make up this crap to suit themselves...

update: penalty was also dispatched at between 80:11-80:12 (that's when ball hits the back of net)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Leaving all the nonesense aside(and there was a lot surrounding this game) it was a pretty unremarkable game devoid of much quality and only further pronounced obvious problems like liverpool's strikeforce and United's CM. No great teams in the league this year so I'm sure United will challenging but they're relatively functional and inferior to top prem teams of recent past(Chelsea ~05ish United 08/09) and the top European teams at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

This thread has gone from talking about the ocasion, talking about what the utd fans might do, talking about shelvey being sent off, to stevies goal, to a non existant penalty, to a sh1t referee performance, to sir alex having no tactical nous to chants after the game by united fans and finally, yes finally, some weird made up timing fantasy, wtf

Surely the Liverpool fans doing the aeroplanes in front of the away stand was discussed at the same time as the United fans chanting? Wouldnt be like people to jump to conclusions and condemn others blindly

kryogen wrote: »
    Surely the Liverpool fans doing the aeroplanes in front of the away stand was discussed at the same time as the United fans chanting? Wouldnt be like people to jump to conclusions and condemn others blindly
    Sure you would only be accused of defending the United fans chanting if you mentioned the Liverpool fans doing aeroplane gestures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Leiva wrote: »
    Hansen ???

Lol

you're obviously watching MOTD 2 and obviously know he meant Lawrenson but hey why resist a cheap lol moment!!

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Sure you would only be accused of defending the United fans chanting if you mentioned the Liverpool fans doing aeroplane gestures.

Not defending the chants at all, the reports that they were in response to the pool fans making the aeroplane gestures in front of them (left the main stand to go and do it in front of the away stand) doesn't excuse the murderers or always the victim stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Wonder does this lad know he got RT'd be Halseys son. We can feel hard done by after today but the sooner people calm down the better.

Not defending the chants at all, the reports that they were in response to the pool fans making the aeroplane gestures in front of them (left the main stand to go and do it in front of the away stand) doesn't excuse the murderers or always the victim stuff
    Well apparently we are defending the chanting by mentioning that some Liverpool fans kicked it off. :rolleyes:
    So we were told earlier in the thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

Felexicon wrote: »
    Babe, how many times do I have to explain offside to you.
    Now back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich

oh i will , just after i watch rvp penalty for the 50th time

oh i will , just after i watch rvp penalty for the 50th time

Always amusing when people mistake posters for fans of other teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

easily amused eh !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well, Man Utd got such a bad rep from a few bad chanters and we got hammered by some people here, now a certain minority of Liverpool fans are abusing Halsey. Does this give me a right to start demanding explanations?

easily amused eh !!

Depends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

zerks wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mistaken but did United fans start the chant "Stand up for the 96" at one stage during the game?

Seemed like a large portion of the crowd started applauding apart from the majority of the Kop.

Heard this as well, but it doesn't fit some people's agenda.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well apparently we are defending the chanting by mentioning that some Liverpool fans kicked it off. :rolleyes:
    So we were told earlier in the thread anyway.

Didn't kick off the "wheres your famous munich song" chant in the first half did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Some selection headaches for Ferguson ahead in the big games. Webb will really need to up his game if he wants to get back in the side after that performance from Halsey.

Opr

• Advertisement

Not that I heard unless it was joining in with the Liverpool fans who did it, and yes, I was there, about 10 yards from the away support.

5starpool wrote: »
    Didn't kick off the "wheres your famous munich song" chant in the first half did it?
    No but it did kick off the worst of it at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's because it didn't happen.

opr wrote: »
    Some selection headaches for Ferguson ahead in the big games. Webb will really need to up his game if he wants to get back in the side after that performance from Halsey.

Opr

This is hardly the first time you have heard that joke told is it?

opr wrote: »

Opr
    Bitter scouse fan makes a "refs play for United" jibe

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!

While you're at it why not bring up "Fergie time" argument

• Advertisement

No but it did kick off the worst of it at the end.

Not sure why that's relevant though. It was loud albeit short in the first half. If there were a couple of idiots (who will hopefully be identified and banned) who provoked them after the match then 2 wrongs don't make a right.

just back from anfield. haven't seen any replays so no idea on those decisions.

Liverpool were on top though without question before the sending off.

hats off to both sets of fans,didn't hear any sick stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Shelvey deserved the red. The idea that Evans should have been sent off too is nonsense. He played the ball, not the man.

Only Suarez can be blamed for not getting the peno. His reputation added to the over accentuated dive is why he didn't get it. Not the refs fault.

The Valencia peno had to be given because it was a last-ditch tackle that prevented a shot and he didn't touch the ball.

The referee had a very good game.

oh my god. Not Suarez's fault he was tripped? what tackle on Valencia? he messed it up and dived.

That "advantage" we got towards the end was the worst decision Ive seen from a ref in a good while because it makes no sense at all, at least I can see why Shelvey got red, why RVP got yellow, but that "advantage" was downright bizarre.

The referee had a very bad game.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    just back from anfield. haven't seen any replays so no idea on those decisions.

Liverpool were on top though without question before the sending off.

hats off to both sets of fans,didn't hear any sick stuff

I think its pretty fair to say Liverpool were better with or without 11 men in general play. Just no cutting edge up front.

It does seem that overall the day went well off the pitch thankfully

5starpool wrote: »
    If there were a couple of idiots (who will hopefully be identified and banned) who provoked them after the match then 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    No they don't but try telling that to a gang of idiots being provoked by idiots.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    oh my god. Not Suarez's fault he was tripped? what tackle on Valencia? he messed it up and dived.

That "advantage" we got towards the end was the worst decision Ive seen from a ref in a good while because it makes no sense at all, at least I can see why Shelvey got red, why RVP got yellow, but that "advantage" was downright bizarre.

Him waving Suarez up was terrible as well. No real advantage when down to 9 men and the ball goes wide compared to a free 25 years out.

you'd know the freaks that never go to games, sensitive little souls

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Ok

You are entitled to your opinion on the refs decisions(I agree with 2 out of the 3) but you cannot deny that Johnson clipped Valencia and that Evans got his foot to the ball for the Suarez claim

proud of the lads.

no point in being bitter about it, and confidence should carry onto the next few games from today's performance.

on another day, decisions go our way, and we win that game comfortably IMO.

we still need to start taking chances though.

i like how we controlled the game so well today though - a real plus point for me.

Basically, a small minority of Liverpool are ****, also a small minority of Man Utd fan are ****. Lets not slag the majority of fans of each club off. The **** are neanderthals.

• Advertisement

cambo,go to a game,it'll do you good.had respect for the real utd fans today tbh

SlickRic wrote: »
    proud of the lads.

no point in being bitter about it, and confidence should carry onto the next few games from today's performance.

on another day, decisions go our way, and we win that game comfortably IMO.

we still need to start taking chances though.

i like how we controlled the game so well today though - a real plus point for me.

I fully agree ye contolled the game, however, I would advise against reading too much into that if I was a Liverpool fan :)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    cambo,go to a game,it'll do you good.had respect for the real it'd fans today tbh
    Getting all high and mighty because you went to the game?
    You obviously don't go regular yourself as you post in almost every match thread,so you must not be much of a real fan either yea?

Jeez,lad goes to a game and thinks he's a superfan. :rolleyes:

I fully agree ye contolled the game, however, I would advise against reading too much into that if I was a Liverpool fan :)

ha, meant to post that in the superthread.

either way, yup, our proper acid test is the next 3 games. should be at least 7 points, if not 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bitter scouse fan makes a "refs play for United" jibe

YAWN!!!!!!!!!!

While you're at it why not bring up "Fergie time" argument

The reason Utd took three points was due to the ref. That's just the case. Liverpool fans will obviously be disappointed with that and Utd fans will obviously be happy they got the three points. As you say, Yawn!!

We move on!

far from high and mighty. go to a game though,seriously

monkey9 wrote: »
    The reason Utd took three points was due to the ref. That's just the case. Liverpool fans will obviously be disappointed with that and Utd fans will obviously be happy they got the three points. As you say, Yawn!!

We move on!
    Well, if by that you mean the ref made the right decision to award us a peno and that gave us the chance to win the game then yes we won due to the ref.
    But you could make the same point for any game

I'm off to bed. There's only so much drivel a person can put up with in a day.
    3 points at Anfield, get in there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lloyds big heart play of the day award in gif

iP32HZYguTxiq.gif

Also a good summary of each set of fans during this thread.

iKmCkJRFs2ec4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Well, if by that you mean the ref made the right decision to award us a peno and that gave us the chance to win the game then yes we won due to the ref.
    But you could make the same point for any game

It wasn't a peno, imo. Not at all. If he gives that, he should be giving a peno to Suarez.

We were down to ten when Utd at the same time should have been down to ten and then being consistant, he should also have sent Van Persie off.

He had a shocker! Disappointed that we were on the receiving end and that it cost us. But that's football. We'll be the benificiaries soon enough, i'm sure.

Advertisement