Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 23rd September 2012 K/O 1.30 PM (MOD NOTE #1, #254)

Comments

What was the chant about the referee ? Involving cancer ? Really ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh, the thing is you don't even need to defend him on tactics.

Ferguson is the GOAT squad builder and belief instiller. He builds exceptional squads time after time after time, and under Ferguson Utd teams have always believed at all times that they can win.

Utd fans have whined constantly the last few years about central midfield - but while that is a relative weakness, at the same time he has put together peerless strength and depth in terms of wing and forward options, fullbacks and center halves.

He's not as great a tactician as the likes of Mourinho and you can point to games over the years where he was out thought on a one off basis by an opponent, but it doesn't matter. He doesn't have to be!

That is the Fergie Factor explained right there in a couple of paragraphs.

The same factor that frustrates the bejasus out of us rival fans.

UTD (under Fergie) have the psychological fear edge over their opponents which has been earned and built up over the years of Fergise reign, but imo Fergie knows he does not have that edge when he plays Liverpool at home hence his bizarre team selections over the seasons.
    If you play against UTD without that fear factor you more than likely get a result as demonstrated by Basel and Bilbao last season.

But when it come to the PL most teams are already down in the percentages even before kick off due to the psychological edge Fergies teams bring to a game ... an edge which I think will be truly missed when he eventually retires, not a dig just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'd say he is talking about comments on twitter, there were no chants like that at the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Mark Halsey did'nt have the best of games but for some Liverpool fans to go on Twitter last night wishing him to get cancer again was over the top. Halsey , his wife , and his daughter all had cancer and Halsey himself was very involved in fundraising for cancer awareness.

niallo27 wrote: »
    rarnes1 wrote: »

I'd say he is talking about comments on twitter, there were no chants like that at the game.

Ah right ,was thinking that.

Twitter is full of idiots tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Mark Halsey did'nt have the best of games but for some Liverpool fans to go on Twitter last night wishing him to get cancer again was over the top. Halsey , his wife , and his daughter all had cancer and Halsey himself was very involved in fundraising for cancer awareness.

To be fair anyone who abused him like that on twitter is an absolute idiot and and has no place in society and probably nothing to offer to society.

Halsey had a bad game yesterday IMHO. Nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He's not as great a tactician as the likes of Mourinho
    Mourinho is no 'great tactician'. This article summarises it well.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature/_/id/1163899/mourinho-playing-a-dangerous-game?cc=5739

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Just on the Shelvey/Evans tackle . Does anyone remember a Evans & Stuart Holden tackle 2 years ago ?

Similar enough challenge but Evans was sent off mainly because Holden was hurt .

Just reminded me of that yesterday ill try post the video of the tackle If I can find it .

Btw I think Shelvey & Evans should have probably received the same punishment .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Just on the Shelvey/Evans tackle . Does anyone remember a Evans & Stuart Holden tackle 2 years ago ?

Similar enough challenge but Evans was sent off mainly because Holden was hurt .

Just reminded me of that yesterday ill try post the video of the tackle If I can find it .

Btw I think Shelvey & Evans should have probably received the same punishment .

I think Holden still hasn't fully recovered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

FFS, have you ever played soccer, watch Evans play the ball first - he side foots it away, hes not trying to do Shelvey. Hes not even tackling really. Shelveys was a scissors tackle, with excessive force (thats the key) - straight red. The ref pretty much sees this angle also.

Laws of the game - note nothing about 2 footed tackle
    12.3 CARELESS, RECKLESS, INVOLVING EXCESSIVE FORCE
    “Careless” indicates that the player has not exercised due caution in
    making his play.
    “Reckless” means that the player has made unnatural movements
    designed to intimidate an opponent or to gain unfair advantage
    “Involving excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the use
    of force necessary to make a fair play for the ball and has placed his
    opponent in considerable danger of bodily harm.

I would argue Evans was Reckless and Shelvey Involving excessive force.
    Are you trying to argue both should have been sent off or none?

Evans wasn't with excessive force, yes it was reckless but he was never going to "do" Shelvey? Can you not see the difference?

Are you high?

The challenges were virtually identical.

Both left their feet and lost control.

Therefore both should be reds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Evans left the ground, studs showing, two footed. Had Shelvey been literally a fraction of a second early with that tackle, he would have had his leg broken.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Evans left the ground, studs showing, two footed. Had Shelvey been literally a fraction of a second early with that tackle, he would have had his leg broken.

Both players had to make that tackle and are trained to do so. Not to injure the opponent but to protect yourself.

Both should have gotten a yellow and a stern warning or two reds and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

noodler wrote: »
    Are you high?

The challenges were virtually identical.

Both left their feet and lost control.

Therefore both should be reds.

if you cant see whats different I suggest you take up another sport

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

T

T

2 sugars thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Most of the people who tweeted about Halsey and cancer have deleted their tweets. In fact a lot of them have deleted their accounts. Disgraceful comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

amiable wrote: »
    I think Holden still hasn't fully recovered

Yeah i know that it's just unfortunate though wasn't any malice intended .

Only video i can find of it is this

Both could have went for that imo .

It's probably off topic so better leave it at that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

lads, the sending off is quite simple. get a grip.

from Halsey's angle, it looked like Shelvey was the aggressor.

and seen as Evans was hurt, and Shelvey wasn't, that information lent to Halsey's decision that Shelvey deserved to go.

both tackles were basically the same. it's just Evans was a fraction of a second earlier, and got hurt. that is all.

in reality, both men should've been sent off, or both booked.

you win some, you lose some with these decisions.

what's really a bit sad, is that neither person was setting out to hurt anyone. there was only intent for the ball. the fact that a ref doesn't seem allowed to use common sense in that situation is very very sad for the game. he knew it was just a hard tackle.

also, the fans' stuff.

anyone defending either side in any way on any gesturing or chanting really needs their head checked. you're defending a minority in your fanbase who don't actually represent you at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Aidric wrote: »
    Mourinho is no 'great tactician'. This article summarises it well.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature/_/id/1163899/mourinho-playing-a-dangerous-game?cc=5739

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

exact moment the ball hit the net ...
    221796.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Leiva wrote: »
    exact moment the ball hit the net ...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=221796&stc=1&d=1348478372

Jonjo Shelvey got sent off on 38:58
    Gerrard scores on 45:51
    Rafael equalises on 51:45
    RVP scores the penalty on 80:16

ALL ADD UP TO 96!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jonjo Shelvey got sent off on 38:58
    Gerrard scores on 45:51
    Rafael equalises on 51:45
    RVP scores the penalty on 80:16

ALL ADD UP TO 96!

Only thing is, some of those times stated there are not correct at all.

It's a lovely story, but unfortunately, it's false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

kayevajo wrote: »
    SIR Alex laughing at right said fred as he goes down the tunnel is magic!
    Right Said Fred :D
    MJfO_nrq_original.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but do you think he would have been laughing if he thought shelvey had gone to injure one of his players, he is laughing because he can't believe his luck with getting liverpool down to 10.

That had nothing to do with SAF. He didn't tell either Shelvey or Evans to go in so commited to a challenge. He is smiling as Shelvey looks silly, nothing else IMO.
    And I agree with Leiva, as I already stated, it was purely the occassion getting the better of Shelvey, no malice just raw adrenalin.
    Time for both sets of fans to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Leiva wrote: »
    FutureGuy wrote: »

Both players had to make that tackle and are trained to do so. Not to injure the opponent but to protect yourself.

Both should have gotten a yellow and a stern warning or two reds and move on.
    I rarely agree with you but I'm 100% on this. In a game of this size, neither player should pull out of tackles like that. Both players guilty imho and it had been a very clean game until then too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »
    from Halsey's angle, it looked like Shelvey was the aggressor.

Really? Doesn't appear so here to be honest. If anything Evans looks worse from the refs angle.

shelveyred2.gif

Also, Gerrard said after the game that he had the same angle as the ref & it was obvious to him straight away that it was never a red card. It was just a really really poor decision by the ref to be honest.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Really? Doesn't appear so here to be honest. If anything Evans looks worse from the refs angle.

shelveyred2.gif

Also, Gerrard said after the game that he had the same angle as the ref & it was obvious to him straight away that it was never a red card. It was just a really really poor decision by the ref to be honest.

No excuses for the referee there. Terrible decision by him as he had a perfect view of the incident.

shelveyred2.gif.

Single freeze frame photo, or gif, I can't see here in work. If it's a single frame, then you are lol.
    Stevie G is hardly a neutral, independent observer, now is he?

Des wrote: »
    Single freeze frame photo, or gif, I can't see here in work. If it's a single frame, then you are lol.

Gif of full incident showing the ref had a perfect view & even "from his angle" it's clear as day he made an awful call.

the ref actually did have a great angle of the incident.

fair enough.

both off, or a yellow card for both is still what i believe should have happened.

what did Shelvey was his lack of reaction, and the fact he got Evans' leg with the studs of his right boot.

• Advertisement

Shelvey got done for honestly going for the ball, and then honestly getting straight up afterwards. Shame on him! :rolleyes:

Shelvey got done for honestly going for the ball, and then honestly getting straight up afterwards. Shame on him! :rolleyes:

his studs ended up on Evans' leg, as the various pictures show.

He may have "honestly" went for the ball, but he also did it recklessly, and without concern for the opposition player.

Evans may have also have done so, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Fred deserved to walk.

The smirk of the Manchester mnager as Fred walked off ranting his conspiracy theory made it all the more heartwarming.

Des wrote: »
    his studs ended up on Evans' leg, as the various pictures show.

He may have "honestly" went for the ball, but he also did it recklessly, and without concern for the opposition player.

Evans may have also have done so, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Fred deserved to walk.

The smirk of the Manchester mnager as Fred walked off ranting his conspiracy theory made it all the more heartwarming.

Why did his studs end up on Evans' leg?

as i've said numerous times, if Shelvey walked, i believe Evans should've walked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

That's bollox tbf. He lunges in wildly, misses the ball and catches Evans. I'm sure he was honestly going for the ball but the fact is he didn't get it.

Also the gif above is in slow motion so doesn't really show what view the referee is making his decision on.

And saying that it wasn't a red because Gerrard came out and said so?
    Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

From looking at that GIF, I dont know how the ref came to the conclusion of a red card for Shelvey, the only reason his other leg came into the tackle was because of the impact from Evans, as a neutral I would say thats a red card for Evans all day long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

In that gif, it doesnt even look like Shelvey touches Evans

Felexicon wrote: »
    That's bollox tbf. He lunges in wildly, misses the ball and catches Evans. I'm sure he was honestly going for the ball but the fact is he didn't get it.

Also the gif above is in slow motion so doesn't really show what view the referee is making his decision on.

Lol.

I would suggest an appointment for Specsavers for you if you can't see that Shelvey didn't miss the ball

SlickRic wrote: »
    as i've said numerous times, if Shelvey walked, i believe Evans should've walked.

So you agree that the ref made a total bollox of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've been a bit on the fence for the sending off since yesterday, saying Shelvey deserved to go but unsure what to make of Evans. Looking at it now in slow mo, Evans brings his second foot in to play the ball, I could be wrong but i think he's left footed and I think he starts tackling with his left but sees he can get the ball with his right, plays it. As he does Shelvey comes over the top and into his ankle in what can only be called a red card tackle.

Liam O wrote: »
    I've been a bit on the fence for the sending off since yesterday, saying Shelvey deserved to go but unsure what to make of Evans. Looking at it now in slow mo, Evans brings his second foot in to play the ball, I could be wrong but i think he's left footed and I think he starts tackling with his left but sees he can get the ball with his right, plays it. As he does Shelvey comes over the top and into his ankle in what can only be called a red card tackle.

Is that the best you could come up with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Liam O wrote: »

So studs two feet off the ground isn't a red card?

I would suggest an appointment for Specsavers for you if you can't see that Shelvey didn't miss the ball
    The ball hits his foot after Evans makes contact and directs it that way.
    The only reason that happened is because he came in over the ball.

The ball hits his foot after Evans makes contact and directs it that way.
    The only reason that happened is because he came in over the ball.

So now he did make contact with the ball.
    Make up your mind.

So you agree that the ref made a total bollox of it?

did i say he got it right?

have i even excused him?

all i said was that i maybe understood how he came to his conclusion, given the information he had, and the few seconds he had to decide.

he, in fact, had a great angle, contrary to what i thought, so the fact Shelvey's studs rake Evans' leg, and Evans got hurt, is what swung it in Halsey's mind. he only sees it once remember.

it shouldn't have resulted in 11 v 10, because both tackles were basically the same. but i can understand why Halsey came to the conclusion he did, wrong as it was.

• Advertisement

So now he did make contact with the ball.
    Make up your mind.
    No the ball hit him as opposed to him winning the ball.

No the ball hit him as opposed to him winning the ball.

I'd go get those eyes checked if I were you

Evans got a knock and was obviously very verbal about it which makes me laugh and reminds me of a player I used to play with .
    He was a sluggish but skilful midfielder, but my God anytime he go the slightest knock he would give out a intentional yelp which would get us numerous free kicks during games.
    When refs heard the yelp along with the split second incident it was usually enough to blow the whistle, and on a number of occasions a card as well.

The ref got it wrong on two accounts for that one tackle. to say otherwise is kinda silly cause I remember a certain UTD and City game last season when Kompany got sent off for a two foot tackle and everyone was calling for his head ..Evans was worse imo.

56_vin_13_280x390_1434807a.jpg

Let's break this rubbish down shall we?

Evans might have got the ball, but he also lunged in wildly. Shelvey also gets a touch on the ball also. In any case, weren't we told last December that Spearing getting the ball was no excuse when it comes to this stuff?

I think the rules in this regard are awful. That said, if the rules are being applied strictly in this case then whatever punishment Shelvey is to receive should also be applied to Evans.

The ultimate reality is that neither player was doing anything other than honestly going for the ball. Yet one walks and the other doesn't.

What? The .gif clearly shows the positioning of Halsley relative to the incident, and demonstrates that he was watching the action.
    Lol.

So one fan mentions something Gerrard said and that becomes a corner stone of everyone's argument? Awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Can anybody give an example of a time when two players got straight red cards in the same tackle? The ref always punishes the biggest aggressor. No ref would have sent two players off there. I do understand where people are coming from but the expectations here are unrealistic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement