Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 23rd September 2012 K/O 1.30 PM (MOD NOTE #1, #254)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone wishing cancer on anyone obviously takes football far too seriously, and/or has nothing else important in life.

and doing it over social media; cowards on top of it.

They are just scum,simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Too much attention is paid to stupid sh1te people say on the internet. It's just too easy to talk complete bollox on, i mean for instance, i'm sure Des is a sound enough fella in real life. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Surprised Sky Sports have not mentioned this.( someone correct me if i`m wrong )

Would be a good thing if they did might shame the people who were making the sick comments

But I do wonder if some fans had the same outrage when other "fans" had a go a ref on twitter and message boards going as far as death threats which made said ref retire from the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

On the Shevley-Evans incident, the proper thing to do would have been a yellow to both players. However, I really don't think Mark Halsey is a closeted Man Utd fan and thinks 'oh great, heres a chance for me to give them an advantage'. We have the benefit of replays and slow-motion and cameras from different angles while the Ref have to make the decision on what he sees from where he is at in full motion. There will come a time in the future when red card/penalty/goal decisions will be reviewed on video by the Ref/4th Official like in the NFL but until then trust is put in the referees to make these decisions and there are times when they get them wrong.
    As for divers, I have zero time for them even if they are on the team I support. IMO, Suarez "fell" way too easily in the box and maybe Valencia did as well but it was less obvious. This is my biggest pet peeve with the sport today. Big strong men falling over like daisies, they ought to be ashamed of themselves.

About the so-called fans singing obnoxious songs about tragedies the other team has suffered, these are pretty much low-life's and these two great teams ought to weed them out and ban them. I have zero tolerance to these ignorant scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Melion wrote: »
    I wonder how this thread would have gone if there was no red card

It would have been very different because Liverpool would likely have won the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Melion wrote: »
    I wonder how this thread would have gone if there was no red card

It would have been very different because Liverpool would likely have won the game.
    Yea and we would be the ones bitching and moaning about referees and tackles and what not.
    Such is life in the soccer forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I genuinely thought Evans was gonna get a red and not Shelvey for that tackle. Hence my :eek: reaction on this thread when Shelvey got a red.

RVP's tackle was fairly dangerous too. You can't show your studs like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Both should be banned from Anfield for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have to say I dont have problem with Liverpool been annoyed with the major incidents and outcomes.

Very harsh and had been other way around would been not best pleased.

Just glad this game is over though. The crap over last week went way into orbit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Have to say I dont have problem with Liverpool been annoyed with the major incidents and outcomes.

Very harsh and had been other way around would been not best pleased.

Just glad this game is over though. The crap over last week went way into orbit.

This is the thing for me, I don't get why Utd fans can't just admit the ref cocked up & we were robbed.

Can't help but feel if the roles were reversed I'd possibly take more smug satisfaction in that than winning fair & square in an even game! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Robbed is strong I think, Liverpool still should have won the game they just cant finish for ****.

Its a handy excuse all the same and make no mistake I would be raging if it was the other way around, but inside I would know that my team lost mainly due to its own ineptitude.

Besides, we had Giggs on the field from the off, Shelvey going off pretty much evened it up ;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    This is the thing for me, I don't get why Utd fans can't just admit the ref cocked up & we were robbed.

Can't help but feel if the roles were reversed I'd possibly take more smug satisfaction in that than winning fair & square in an even game! :p

Well go to post 2360 in Liverpool thread and you will see the word robbed:p.

But Yes, we did and tbf I suppose in way its sweater as I can get rise of Liverpool friends, but no question had it been other way around I have had the face of this Smilie:mad: for few days.

kryogen wrote: »

Besides, we had Giggs on the field from the off, Shelvey going off pretty much evened it up ;)

If we get lucky(or unlucky I guess) to get Madrid or Barca in CL Knockout and see him in starting 11 then my Blood Pressure will hit the summit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If we get lucky(or unlucky I guess) to get Madrid or Barca in CL Knockout and see him in starting 11 then my Blood Pressure will hit the summit.

If he starts in CM in one of the most important matches United ever played (1-0 loss to City) and Ferguson still hands him big matches, he's guaranteed more big matches. 2 finals vs Barcelona too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its beyond ridiculous at this stage

He's nailed on to start against City in a couple of weeks.
    Probably get a loan of Park off QPR too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Both should be banned from Anfield for life.

I doubt either have ever been anywhere near anfield, I dont see why halsey is going to the police about it, im sure he has heard a lot worse down the years. I'm not conding it by the way its just this twitter ****e does my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Why is Halsey going to the Greater Manchester police about the twitter problem? Does he live in Manchester?

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Why is Halsey going to the Greater Manchester police about the twitter problem? Does he live in Manchester?

Opr
    Based in Bolton according to his Wiki page.

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Based in Bolton according to his Wiki page.

So he's based in greater Manchester. Cheers.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Opr
    Yea he has the curtains and quilt and everything.

Seriously, your reaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Opr
    They could have been angry spouse cops maybe he was looking to deal with the superior Manchester police ;)

Sorry stupid really I know!!!

Was bad though someone wishing a horrible death on him tbh

Yea he has the curtains and quilt and everything.

Seriously, your reaching.

Reaching at what? I was just confused as to why it had been reported to the Manchester police. That has been cleared up for me, he happens to live in greater Manchester.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Halseys is a good ref and is one of the better ones, just he made a bollix of yesterday.

Fed up seeing Utd players getting penos for dives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Reaching at what? I was just confused as to why it had been reported to the Manchester police. That has been cleared up for me, he happens to live in greater Manchester.

Opr

Normally a complaint will go to their local police, why would you think this was different?

Normally a complaint will go to their local police, why would you think this was different?

I don't think it should be any different, I wasn't aware that he lives in Manchester. It makes perfect sense now that I know he lives in Manchester why it went to the greater Manchester police. I was just confused when I read the article as to why they were involved.

Opr

That Sterling chap looks to have very bright future. Stood out yesterday even if sometimes his decision making let him down. Young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That Sterling chap looks to have very bright future. Stood out yesterday even if sometimes his decision making let him down. Young lad.
    He looks a big talent and fair play to Rodgers for giving him his chance.Was there talk last year of him leaving?

• Advertisement

Halseys is a good ref and is one of the better ones, just he made a bollix of yesterday.

I'm fed up seeing players of every team getting penalties for diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

cambo2008 wrote: »

I'm fed up seeing players of every team getting penalties for diving.

I'd say he's fed up of Luis not getting penalties for diving.

United are winning diving competition so far this season.

Was Peno yesterday though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

niallo27 wrote: »
    I doubt either have ever been anywhere near anfield, I dont see why halsey is going to the police about it, im sure he has heard a lot worse down the years. I'm not conding it by the way its just this twitter ****e does my head in.

I'd say there was a bit of pressure put on him from the referees association and the FA possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

doesnt actually say it was halsey who went to the police. in his statement he said his family did, so it couldve been one of his kids or his wife who made the complaint

his son, who's a scout for qpr i believe, was getting a fair bit of uncalled for abuse

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

On the Shelvey sending off... Swings and roundabouts and all that. Do you remember this challenge only getting a yellow a couple of years ago??

carragher-foul.jpg
    nani-injury-1.jpg
    nani-injury-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

cournioni wrote: »
    On the Shelvey sending off... Swings and roundabouts and all that. Do you remember this challenge only getting a yellow a couple of years ago??
    ]

Suppose.

At least Evans didn't cry like a little bitch :pac:

I like this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Didn't think it was a penalty until I saw this http://twitter.com/TheRealChic1014/status/250338752747143169/photo/1

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Leiva wrote: »
    At least Evans didn't cry like a little bitch :pac:
    Or like the Liverpool fans since yesterday... :pac:

See if you can pick yourself out if you were at the game.

http://liverpool2.tag.huggity.com/app/index.php

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

cournioni wrote: »
    Or like the Liverpool fans since yesterday... :pac:

Nah not really . Took a lot of positives out of that match.

Played UTD off the park for long stretches and bossed in many positions against a strong UTD line up, bar maybe Giggs - but I still rate him.

I don't buy the line that UTD were shït. I think Liverpool had control of many aspects of the game and never allowed UTD to get a grasp of things.

But as usual we were absolutely toothless up front and paid for it like many other games over the past year+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

See if you can pick yourself out if you were at the game.

http://liverpool2.tag.huggity.com/app/index.php

Opr

When was this taken? There wasn't too many left in the ground after the peno

I don't buy the line that UTD were shït. I think Liverpool had control of many aspects of the game and never allowed UTD to get a grasp of things.
    Ah come on man. That was appalling stuff from United yesterday. Liverpool were excellent but we just gave the ball away constantly, even when there was an easy pass on.

In all seriousness that was the worst this season and we have had plenty of poor performances. I had resigned to defeat after half an hour until the sending off. Even after that I wasn't sure we would get anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nah not really . Took a lot of positives out of that match.

Played UTD off the park for long stretches and bossed in many positions against a strong UTD line up, bar maybe Giggs - but I still rate him.

But as usual we were absolutely toothless up front and paid for it like many other games over the past year+

Its that old chestnut when Liverpool play well they get no credit at all, the other team are always crap or never turned up

When was this taken? There wasn't too many left in the ground after the peno

Was in the 1st half i think you are mistaking the red shirts for seats

If you looked at the picture it was taken on 31:10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That was United's worst performance of the season and even though Liverpool playing well obviously was a big factor in that, United made it easy for them with sluggish play and over cautious defending. I was astonished at the amount of space they gave up on some occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

United performance was on pay with how they've played all season, difference is they came up against a team who are far better at keeping possession then the ones they've faced so far so they just looked even worse. Uniteds strength is in their home form and taking points off the lower teams. Performance wise I can really see them struggling badly against Arsenal, City and Chelsea but for most other teams they'll have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

While we should be positive about the performance from a Liverpool perspective, we have to acknowledge that United were very poor.

I have to say that was the worst United performance I think I've ever seen. Some of the passing was incredibly sloppy and they looked like they had no guts, second to every ball etc... (with the exception of Rio, Evans and Rafael). The only time I can remember seeing them so dominated was against Barca in the CL final, and we know we're no Barca.

Credit where credit's due, we played very well, executed our game plan well and every player put in a committed performance and played as a team, but we were up against a United team which looked all over the place.

You can't discount that we played well, but you have to put the dominance in the first half and the (at least) holding their own with 10 men, down to United's performance as well as ours.

It's a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Liam O wrote: »
    That was United's worst performance of the season and even though Liverpool playing well obviously was a big factor in that, United made it easy for them with sluggish play and over cautious defending. I was astonished at the amount of space they gave up on some occasions.

As a Liverpool fan I can't argue with that.

Fist case of a Liverpool and United fan agreeing on this thread?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

United performance was on pay with how they've played all season, difference is they came up against a team who are far better at keeping possession then the ones they've faced so far so they just looked even worse. Uniteds strength is in their home form and taking points off the lower teams. Performance wise I can really see them struggling badly against Arsenal, City and Chelsea but for most other teams they'll have enough.

Nah United were definitely poorer than what they were in previous games. Liverpool were excellent but United's performance was woeful. Why? Probably a combination of poor form, Giggs in CM and 8 of the 10 outfield players having played a Champions League game a few days prior while the majority of the Liverpool first team was well rested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement