Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Manchester United 23rd September 2012 K/O 1.30 PM (MOD NOTE #1, #254)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Felexicon wrote: »
    Tbf though, diving is a skill in the modern game and if Wellbeck has worked on it enough to fool refs more power to him

Oh Christ...

carygrant.gif

Do you know what forget it, I will.

Place is on the verge of going total retard and it's only Saturday.
    See Ya's Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Felexicon wrote: »
    Nonot at left back. He would be a better option than Johnson at right back at the moment though.
    I think Jones would take Skrtels place at centre back. He would be a real Rogers type of player. Able to take the ball under pressure and pick a pass.

Also you could play Wellbeck up front with Suar..............oh wait, never mind

You started drinking early,didn`t you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mod Note:

Lads, cop the **** on.

Any other posts directly aimed at any posters that aren't specifically about a footballing matter will get a straight yellow card and a one week ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

honestly if i was given the chance to sign one liverpool player, id struggle to pick one. very few of them would get into the current united first team, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

honestly if i was given the chance to sign one liverpool player, id struggle to pick one. very few of them would get into the current united first team, if any.

Lucas would be an easy pick for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

people are questioning the strength of Uniteds squad? good lord...over the past five years the squad has been one of the strongest, if not the strongest in europe, to question it, is astonishing..

the first 11 is questionable and its what cost united the league last year, but the squad is whats got us to withing seconds of winning it along with 4 league titles since 07 and 3 CL finals.

With a midfield like that it is not strong over the past few years. As shown in European games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

PHB wrote: »

Maybe Agger ATM but we have two young centre backs who are potentially far better than him

SantryRed wrote: »
    With a midfield like that it is not strong over the past few years. As shown in European games.

yes, the midfield is the one problem in the team, specifically the first 11. if united signed one world class midfielder, i dont think many people would argue that the rest of the options are as good as anybody else in terms of back up. hence why i said the squad is strong, but the first 11 is where the problem is. the likes of Fletcher, Scholes (at his age), cleverly (alot to proove) are great squad players, but not really top class first 11 players.

but in terms of keepers, defenders, wingers and strikers, the options united have are as strong as any squad in the world right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Johnson, agger, lucas, allen, gerrard, suarez would get into the current utd team and then players like shelvey and henderson would get plenty of game time in that utd midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I wouldn't have Wellbeck starting in the wide right role of our front 3 over borini.
    Based on what exactly? He plays for Liverpool?

Welbeck has shown himself to be a great talent in the PL over the last season and a bit. Needs to score more but he causes so many problems for teams when he plays. Borini has been in the PL five minutes and has done the sum total of **** all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The same midfield that took us to Europen final previous season? Our midfield is weak compared to other positions, that doesn't mean our midfield is crap.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Johnson, agger, lucas, allen, gerrard, suarez would get into the current utd team and then players like shelvey and henderson would get plenty of game time in that utd midfield

Rooney, RVP > Suarez.
    I would take Carrick any day over Allen.

Would take only Lucas and Agger from the liverpool team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    The same midfield that took us to Europen final previous season? Our midfield is weak compared to other positions, that doesn't mean our midfield is crap.

Your midfield can't retain possession against the top teams. So I would class that as poor in United terms. Sure you get over run against everyone in Europe now.

Your midfield can't retain possession against the top teams. So I would class that as poor in United terms. Sure you get over run against everyone in Europe now.
    United's midfield in Europe is a strange one. It never looks as ragged in the PL when playing superior teams - Chelsea, City, Arsenal - to the likes of Gala, Basle and Benfica.

PHB wrote: »

good player, but not what United need at all.

you reckoong a team that has been struggling to make the top 6 in the past 3 seasons is good enough to have 6 players on a team that has been at/near the top of the table for the majority of this period? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

good lord. not one of them players above there would improve United, not one. talk about deluded posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

lol

retaining possession is not uniteds problem. its getting the ball forward through the middle thats the problem.

Every year some Liverpool fans do this. Every year. Despite their team being the footballing equivalent of Eddie the Eagle, they delude themselves into thinking over 50% of their first team would get into the team who finished level on points last year with the champions.

• Advertisement

you reckoong a team that has been struggling to make the top 6 in the past 3 seasons is good enough to have 6 players on a team that has been at.near the top of the table for the majority of this period? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: .

You said not one liverpool player would get into the utd team I gave you 6 that would each individually get into the team. Who said anything about all 6 playing at the same time?
    good lord. not one of them players above there would improve United, not one. talk about deluded posting
    Not one of them would improve utd lol deluded indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

How can so many Liverpool fans still beat the Steven Gerrard drum.
    He is past it, would not get into any of the top 4 starting line ups and has actually been detrimental to Liverpool this season. He just doesn't fit a system that relies on maintaining possession.
    Yeah he can pop up with a 30 yard screamer but they are becoming less frequent in recent seasons

You said not one liverpool player would get into the utd team I gave you 6 that would each individually get into the team. Who said anything about all 6 playing at the same time?

none of those players are good enough to improve United. they are not what united need. we dont need them, its as simple as that. when i look at players that would improve United from our rivals, i look at the likes of Kompany, Silva, Ya Ya, Aguero, world class players in their positions.

those 4 players would improve United and maybe Carzola from Arsenal, along with hazard from Chelsea and one or 2 more. the players you listed are not on the same level as the players i have listed.

you need to be a world class player to improve uniteds first 11 and right now, liverpool dont have them, hence why they are a team who has been hovering around 7th place since 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Johnson, agger, lucas, allen, gerrard, suarez would get into the current utd team and then players like shelvey and henderson:pac::pac: would get plenty of game time in that utd midfield

Agger would be the only one I'd have,Gerard of five years ago yes,but not now.We already have a Brazilian that spends more time out of the team than in.Carrick does the same thing as Allen,Suarez flatters to deceive & doesn't deliver enough.We have better than Johnson (one full back who thinks he's a winger is enough at the club) Shelvey might get League Cup games & as for Henderson..........the only game time he'd get is if he plays FIFA 2013.

zerks wrote: »
    Agger would be the only one I'd have,Gerard of five years ago yes,but not now.We already have a Brazilian that spends more time out of the team than in.Carrick does the same thing as Allen,Suarez flatters to deceive & doesn't deliver enough.We have better than Johnson (one full back who thinks he's a winger is enough at the club) Shelvey might get League Cup games & as for Henderson..........the only game time he'd get is if he plays FIFA 2013.

Don't delude yourself, Johnson is far better than any full back at united, Allen would walk into your starting 11. Suarez would start the majority of games and your bull about Henderson, coming from a club that give game time to Anderson? What a joke.

Funny how few says ManUtd can't hold on to possession but still are in top 4 (in terms of possession) in the league from last 3-4 years.

2010-11: 3rd (only behind Arsenal and Chelsea by 0.2%)
    2011-12: 4th (only behind Arsenal, City and Swansea. Only 0.4% lesser than City)
    2012-13: 2nd (behind City)

• Advertisement

Johnson is far better than any full back at united, Allen would walk into your starting 11. Suarez would start the majority of games and your bull about Henderson, he is better than the majority of the midfielders at united.
    Don't delude yourself,

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lol at the suggestion that moving three, or four Liverpool players into United's starting XI would "improve" united.

Yeah, sure lads. Christ almighty. Ridiculous, these are upper mid table players, at best - as proven by results and the league table, United are a top 2 team, consistently, and in the CL.

Those players are not good enough. Period.

Des wrote: »
    Lol at the suggestion that moving three, or four Liverpool players into United's starting XI would "improve" united.

Yeah, sure lads. Christ almighty. Ridiculous, these are upper mid table players, at best - as proven by results and the league table, United are a top 2 team, consistently, and in the CL.

Those players are not good enough. Period.

where is this suggested?

where is this suggested?

post #275

post #275

read it again

• Advertisement

read it again

YOU read it again.

It doesn't matter.

No player from an upper mid table side is going to improve a team that finished level on points with last season's Champions.

Certainly not by going into the first team. Squad places maybe, but I'd doubt it.

YOU read it again.

It doesn't matter.

No player from an upper mid table side is going to improve a team that finished level on points with last season's Champions.

Certainly not by going into the first team. Squad places maybe, but I'd doubt it.

not one player??

lol

Joe Allen is prime candidate to become the most overrated player in the english game. as it stands in the footballing world, he is a nobody in terms of prooving himself and he has a long long way to go before he can call himself a top player.
    not one player??

lol

exactly....as i outlined, the only players that would improve United are the ones at the top level of world football, liverpool players are a big step below that right now.

we signed the German and English players of the year this summer to improve our team. that is the level we are talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

But If you think like that, then why is Valencia who came from a low table team one of the starters at Utd. Plenty of players come from lower down to play in championship teams. There is so many examples of this, Valencia is the first that came to my head.

Joe Allen can pass a ball sideways, it's amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Don't delude yourself, Johnson is far better than any full back at united, Allen would walk into your starting 11. Suarez would start the majority of games and your bull about Henderson, coming from a club that give game time to Anderson? What a joke.

And there we have it. The thread has no surpassed full retard and gone into a whole new category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Joe Allen can pass a ball sideways, it's amazing.

Yet when Carrick does it he is useless!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wanna be an honourary mod for the day? :o

Im predicting 1-1 draw. Hopefully the game and thread goes off without a hitch.

yeah.... Right.....

Wonder how many times "deluded", "delusional", "obsessed" and "obsessive" will be used. Drives me batty.

I'd just like to remind some people in here that United are far better than Liverpool. As in, different universe stuff. There is no way 5 or 6 Liverpool players would get into the United team.

Liverpool are falling into Aston Villa territory at this stage. Mid-table, not much money and have made one, maybe two relatively decent title pushes in the last 20 odd years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Carrick over Allen? Another gem up there with Smalling being better than Johnson. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Joe Allen is prime candidate to become the most overrated player in the english game. as it stands in the footballing world, he is a nobody in terms of prooving himself and he has a long long way to go before he can call himself a top player.

Can't argue with them pass completion stats.

Johnson,who can't defend & Allen who can't pass the ball anymore than 5 yards.Suarez who can't hit a barn door 99% of the time.As for Henderson,I wouldn't let him cut the pitch at OT let alone play on it.

Anderson had potential & so far has failed to live up to it but even on a bad day is more mobile & effective than Henderson.

Hate to burst your bubble but nobody on the current Liverpool team would be 1st choice at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

J. Marston wrote: »
    Show us your medals Joe.

zerks wrote: »
    Johnson,who can't defend & Allen who can't pass the ball anymore than 5 yards.Suarez who can't hit a barn door 99% of the time.As for Henderson,I wouldn't let him cut the pitch at OT let alone play on it.

Anderson had potential & so far has failed to live up to it but even on a bad day is more mobile & effective than Henderson.

Hate to burst your bubble but nobody on the current Liverpool team would be 1st choice at United.

Possibly the worst post I have seen in this thread and that takes some beating

jesus wept

I'd just like to remind some people in here that United are far better than Liverpool. As in, different universe stuff. There is no way 5 or 6 Liverpool players would get into the United team.

QUOTE]

think you should read the thread again

J. Marston wrote: »

He passes the ball five or six yards sideways or backwards. Totes amazeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

After reading the last few pages I have to wonder why Liverpool have failed to get top 4 the last few seasons given the array of talent at their disposal. It seems man for man that roughly half of them would get in the Utd team. Odd.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    After reading the last few pages I have to wonder why Liverpool have failed to get top 4 the last few seasons given the array of talent at their disposal. It seems man for man that roughly half of them would get in the Utd team.

They've been unlucky. For 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

My God, this has turned crazy!

Who in their right mind can think that Suarez would get near a forward position ahead of Rooney or RVP :eek:

Allen is suddenly the second coming of Xavi after a few average performances that looked ok because everyone around him was pathetic. Even Agger is questionable. Decent players look a lot better than they actually are in average teams. I'm fairly certain Smalling will turn out to be much better than him. Johnson has shown what a liability he is on two occasions already this year, wouldn't want him anywhere near a United team.

• Advertisement

Possibly the worst post I have seen in this thread and that takes some beating

jesus wept

Man blinded by the red tinted Liverpool glasses waxes lyrical about the glorious Liverpool team with the mighty Jordan Henderson & Pass Machine Joe Allen being good enough for United & then says my post about how they aren't nearly good enough to be United players is one of the worst posts here-JAYSUS ye are deluded.The Liverpool hive mentality is alive & well.

tumblr_macydjYZ4k1ro3rxqo1_500.gif

Advertisement