Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free shipping of the books

Options
  • 17-09-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I came across the site Book Depository, they offer free shipping all around the world on the books they offer. Not bad if you live on the other side of the world.
    Is this the future of e-commerce as a way of competition?

Comments

The Book Depository is a very popular site; I'd imagine most regulars of this forum use it quite a lot, as well as most avid readers who buy their books online. It was bought by Amazon last year, though it's still relatively independent I believe. When it comes to your question of competition, I've found that many times books are cheaper on Amazon.co.uk than on The Book Depository, even when considering the price of shipping -- it's worth noting that Amazon will give you free shipping on orders over $/£ 25, on the condition that you're buying from Amazon and not a third party seller. Is this price fixing by Amazon? It's hard to know, but maybe that's being a bit cynical. If you're spending more than 25 pounds or dollars, it's worth comparing the price differences between the two sites before purchasing.

But yes, it's a great site. I've bought over 100 books through it. They'll often give you 10% off offers, too, which is nice, along with interesting and varied free bookmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bus.driver

gvn wrote: »
    The Book Depository is a very popular site; I'd imagine most regulars of this forum use it quite a lot, as well as most avid readers who buy their books online. It was bought by Amazon last year, though it's still relatively independent I believe. When it comes to your question of competition, I've found that many times books are cheaper on Amazon.co.uk than on The Book Depository, even when considering the price of shipping -- it's worth noting that Amazon will give you free shipping on orders over $/£ 25, on the condition that you're buying from Amazon and not a third party seller. Is this price fixing by Amazon? It's hard to know, but maybe that's being a bit cynical. If you're spending more than 25 pounds or dollars, it's worth comparing the price differences between the two sites before purchasing.

But yes, it's a great site. I've bought over 100 books through it. They'll often give you 10% off offers, too, which is nice, along with interesting and varied free bookmarks.
    Thanks for reply. I have just found them on Amazon site. But what you save on shipping cost you have to calculate on the the price of the books.I would say they sell the books 5-7 GBP more expensive that Amazon, for example.
    My loud thinking was about the future of the e-commerce as such, i think it's going to happen-free delivery worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Love that site. I find it a lot cheaper than amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bus.driver

Irishchick wrote: »
    Love that site. I find it a lot cheaper than amazon.

Is it?That's great. I'm going to order some travel books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I use the book depository a lot. I find them cheaper than amazon when I compare, but they take longer to send stuff out. Ordered a book 9 days still not gotten it, hopefully today. But still a good site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

bus.driver wrote: »
    I came across the site Book Depository, they offer free shipping all around the world on the books they offer. Not bad if you live on the other side of the world.
    Is this the future of e-commerce as a way of competition?
    Not really; it's like the reoccuring Ebay discussion about the seller charging 1 cent for the item and 10 EUR shipping; at the end of the day free shipping or not I look at the total price (with shipping) when comparing sites. Charge me 1c for the book and 10 EUR shipping or 12 EUR for the book and free shipping and the decision is still easy free shipping or not.

Advertisement