Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<.> Query

• 17-09-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is not in the right forum, so mods please lock/move as is appropriate.

I had someone going door to door around my estate in Galway today, looking for donations for this agency. First off, it all seemed legit, so that wasn't an issue.

I hadn't heard of <.> before, which the guy was surprised with, anyway long story short, after a good conversation with him and as an advocate animal lover with pets at home, I signed up for a couple of euro a month.

My main question is how good is this agency in terms of the work it claims to do?

I'm not looking for defamatory statements, or to instigate any sort of argument or shilling. Just wanna know if I made the right choice in giving them money?

Cheers,

-Red

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I dont know of the <.> in Galway, but we do have a <.> here in Dublin not too far from us and I can certainly speak highly of them. Have visited them on a few occasions and the premises is lovely and they do great work rehoming dogs. I have to be honest, I would never give bank details at the door, you can sign up online with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Apologies if this is not in the right forum, so mods please lock/move as is appropriate.

I had someone going door to door around my estate in Galway today, looking for donations for this agency. First off, it all seemed legit, so that wasn't an issue.

I hadn't heard of <.> before, which the guy was surprised with, anyway long story short, after a good conversation with him and as an advocate animal lover with pets at home, I signed up for a couple of euro a month.

My main question is how good is this agency in terms of the work it claims to do?

I'm not looking for defamatory statements, or to instigate any sort of argument or shilling. Just wanna know if I made the right choice in giving them money?

Cheers,

-Red

I think the people that are going door-to-door are paid employees of a fundraising company they are not volunteers. Maybe someone on here could shed some light on the actual percentage of money that dogs trust receive? I am a volunteer with a rescue and go out collecting monthly and
    I always have to explain to people that 100% of the money goes to dogs and I am a volunteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've had what I assume are paid collectors from <.> call to my house in Clare twice this year. I admire the work that the charity does but I prefer to spread my donations directly between animal charities in Clare and Limerick that I know spend 100% of the money on the animals.

To be honest I wouldn't give money to people calling to the house collecting for charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I've had what I assume are paid collectors from <.> call to my house in Clare twice this year. I admire the work that the charity does but I prefer to spread my donations directly between animal charities in Clare and Limerick that I know spend 100% of the money on the animals.

To be honest I wouldn't give money to people calling to the house collecting for charity.

Yes one rescue in Wicklow was getting very annoyed as another rescue from Kildare had paid collectors going door to door in wicklow getting donations that the felt would of gone to them! Supposedly the fundraising company has approached the rescues not the other way around and some rescues have signed up as they are desperate for donations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Guys discussions like this about the activities of specific rescues are not permitted. We have been threatened with legal action in the past due a thread very similar to this one.

<Locking and snipping>

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement