Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: iphone 5 vs SGSIII vs Lumia 920

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Only one out of those I would consider for my next phone is the Lumia 920 myself but I'm going to wait and see what the review of WP8 are actually like. Also if lack of memory card slot is true thats just silly, maybe its a windows phone restriction, haven't really looked into it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

seamus wrote: »
    At this stage I'd need to have my hands on all three to make a decision.

Everything from the interface to the specs is now too close to decide on the basis of past form or user reviews.

The Lumia wins out on looks as far as I can see, but I have my doubts that a Windows OS can work at the same level of smoothness and intuitiveness as iOS.

The current Windows Phones are smoother and more responsive than iOS despite having lesser hardware. Windows Phone 8 will have a completely different kernel (it uses the Windows 8 kernel), but hopefully they have kept a strong focus on the smoothness and responsiveness.

I find them more intuitive as well, but that's more a subjective thing that different people are bound to disagree with.

edit: the big drawback to Windows Phones to date has been the apps. They have caught up quite a bit, with many/most of the big apps available or having an equivalent, but some features haven't been available or implemented very well (bluetooth communication, background tasks etc), so some apps simply haven't worked great. The Windows Phone 8 SDK looks like it will be have all of these missing features though which should bring the full range of apps to Windows Phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The 8X does look nice. 4.3" screen is a good size, I'd prefer not to go any bigger. Expandable storage is good too. I'd prefer to have actual buttons and not touch sensitive ones. Still waiting to see what samsung release. Hopefully, we get a smaller Ativ S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The S3's screen isnt a problem because its thin and light, so its not hard to grasp it or hold it for a long time. When I had the Titan it used to get annoying and sore to hold it for a long time when reading news or playing games or apps. It was big, thick and heavy. Where as the S3 is pretty much the same size but lightness and the thickness makes all the difference.

Guess we will see is the camera worth the extra bulk. I still wish Nokia would have kept their screen size to a max of 4" in the long run it would draw less power meaning better battery life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

SIII FTW

Syllabus wrote: »
    SIII FTW SIII Running Windows Phone 8 FTW!! :cool:

Fixed :) S3 has really good hardware. Just the software bit is annoying. Even though WP doesnt have as much local apps as Android or iOS. The app design and looks and in some cases performance is to be desired on Android.

I miss a lot of small things from WP. Small simple, things that made all the difference (i.e. a <3 symbol in Zune app used to let me mark the songs I love and I can see the ones i Love on the desktop later when I want to listen to them again)

Having to go to twitter, facebook separately to post stuff up is silly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone know how similar the Windows Phone Zune software is to the standalone Zune Player software? Had a Zune and it was the best MP3 and music device I ever had the pleasure of owning.

I never had the standalone Zune, but as far as I'm aware it's the same software and works the same way.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Zune application that you run on a PC to sync music and stuff, not the music playing software on the device itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well the apple maps fiasco is a big mark against the iPhone 5.
    I'll be leaving my 4 on iOS 5 for now.

The new HTC 8X looks good.
    Not the lime green though maybe the red.
    I think the Lumia still has an edge over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are talking about the Zune application that you run on a PC to sync music and stuff, not the music playing software on the device itself?

Both actually. Both the software and player were lightyears ahead of iTunes and the iPod.

Both actually. Both the software and player were lightyears ahead of iTunes and the iPod.

Well if MS bothered to bring out Zune Music marketplace here and Zune music pass in the rest of the world it might be a different story.

I have to use iTunes to buy music...Then go to Zune and Sync it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

Well if MS bothered to bring out Zune Music marketplace here and Zune music pass in the rest of the world it might be a different story.

I have to use iTunes to buy music...Then go to Zune and Sync it.

Nokia Music is cheaper than iTunes.

They'll probably bring the Xbox Music service here when it launches. I'm hoping they will at least.
    I like the player on the phone, but many have complained that it doesn't have an equaliser and doesn't let you seek by dragging the progress bar. I'm not sure how it compares to the Zune player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I'm on the fence between getting a 920 or a Galaxy Note 2. I've only used android once (years ago) so I'm not sure what it's like now. I primarily use my phone for browsing so I'm intrigued by the Note's screen. Ill have to wait until both are in stores to check them out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

stevenmu wrote: »
    They'll probably bring the Xbox Music service here when it launches. I'm hoping they will at least.

I like the player on the phone, but many have complained that it doesn't have an equaliser and doesn't let you seek by dragging the progress bar. I'm not sure how it compares to the Zune player.

That's a WP7.5 limitation, the end user experience on WP8 has not been revealed for this aspect yet.

Samsung doesn't offer anything.

HTC has their maps. You get a 28 day trial . After that you have to pay. Its not the most expensive licence but free is always better :)

I tried out the HTC app before, it was no where near as good as Nokia Drive. I think with WP8 though all phones are getting Nokia Drive, or at least the standard version of it, I'm sure Nokia will add some features exclusive to their own devices.
    Queerdub wrote: »
    That's a WP7.5 limitation, the end user experience on WP8 has not been revealed for this aspect yet.
    Good point, hopefully it'll include a few extra features.

• Advertisement
Advertisement