Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THIN LIZZY New Album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Would people be happy if Queen recorded a new album without Freddie? I'd like to at least give them a chance to produce something good but as cliché as the opinion is, for me it's no Philo = no sale. Seeing them opening for Alice Cooper and Def Leppard last year was alright but it definitely wasn't anything spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Would people be happy if Queen recorded a new album without Freddie?

They did, with Paul Rogers. It was utter toilet.

(John Deacon remains awesome)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

They did, with Paul Rogers. It was utter toilet.

(John Deacon remains awesome)

Oh god yeah, how did I forget that. Case in point!

But still, if they can overcome the odds and bring out something fantastic, I'd happily be put in my box. I'm not holding out much hope though. Lizzy haven't been relevant for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Without Phil Lynott there is no Thin Lizzy, he encompassed what TL was and this is just a cynical cash grab using a famous name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I've seen various incarnations of Lizzy with some members Philo would have never played with and others he feel out with and I'm not enthused about this new "Thin Lizzy" album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

rednik wrote: »

Oh. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Who's in the lineup? Is Robinson playing on it? I wouldn't mind if they released some new stuff, I'm sure Gorham may have at least one last killer riff. I think it's a pity they didn't release something a bit sooner even as a tribute album with all those who came and went putting a bit in. I'd hope against hope they might have some unfinished Phil stuff they could throw on a bonus CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Who's in the lineup? Is Robinson playing on it? I wouldn't mind if they released some new stuff, I'm sure Gorham may have at least one last killer riff. I think it's a pity they didn't release something a bit sooner even as a tribute album with all those who came and went putting a bit in. I'd hope against hope they might have some unfinished Phil stuff they could throw on a bonus CD.

In a Classic Rock interview a few months back they said that there was some Phil stuff that may or may not make the album.

Kess73 wrote: »

In a Classic Rock interview a few months back they said that there was some Phil stuff that may or may not make the album.

Lol they have the marketing aspect right anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

They read me like an open book.

They are trying to get that aspect right anyway. To be honest the whole interview stank of a cash in to me.

They are trying to get that aspect right anyway. To be honest the whole interview stank of a cash in to me.

I saw them at the GnR gig in May and I think they should just ditch the Thin Lizzy name and come up with a clever name for a covers band, cos that's all they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

I don't think they should release it under the name of Thin Lizzy. Phil is Thin Lizzy, end of. The new "Thin Lizzy" are all very good musicians but they should release the album under a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Well, some people will pleased to hear the new album ain't happening (as Thin Lizzy anyway), and the Olympia gig will possibly be their last show as Thin Lizzy.

Thin Lizzy call it a day

So Gorham's line is that it is out of respect to Phil?

I think he really needs to keep track of his own interviews at this point, because it is only a few months since his Classic Rock interview in which he claimed that he knew that recording new music as Thin Lizzy would be what Phil would have wanted and he went as far as to say that there were some Phil penned songs that might make it into the mix. I wonder has the fact that some of the songs may have been written by Phil come back to bite them on the ass in a legal manner?

Does not say there will not be an album coming out under a different band name though, so if the songs are as great as he claimed they were a few months back then releasing them under a band name that is not Thin Lizzy would be a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I think he really needs to keep track of his own interviews at this point, because it is only a few months since his Classic Rock interview in which he claimed that he knew that recording new music as Thin Lizzy would be what Phil would have wanted and he went as far as to say that there were some Phil penned songs that might make it into the mix. I wonder has the fact that some of the songs may have been written by Phil come back to bite them on the ass in a legal manner?

Does not say there will not be an album coming out under a different band name though, so if the songs are as great as he claimed they were a few months back then releasing them under a band name that is not Thin Lizzy would be a no brainer.

I doubt there's any consistency in interviews he's done over the last 10 years - to be honest a lot of stuff he says just contradicts whatever he said in a previous interview - there's nothing in here about the current line up continuing as a band at all, and what I take from it is that they are done, Gorham may use the songs at a later date with other people and Ricky seems to think that at some point in the future they'll be offered silly money to play a festival or something......which they might.........there's nothing clear in the statement other than this particular version of Lizzy are done - we'll see if the guys continue as a new band but won't heard anything about it till new year......

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

What I think the interview meant is that they're just re-branding themselves. They will more than likely continue to tour after their planned dates and release the album as planned, just under a new name, which might be best at this point. As people said Philo=Lizzy so they shouldn't release the new material under the Lizzy name.

NIBBS wrote: »
    I doubt there's any consistency in interviews he's done over the last 10 years - to be honest a lot of stuff he says just contradicts whatever he said in a previous interview - there's nothing in here about the current line up continuing as a band at all, and what I take from it is that they are done, Gorham may use the songs at a later date with other people and Ricky seems to think that at some point in the future they'll be offered silly money to play a festival or something......which they might.........there's nothing clear in the statement other than this particular version of Lizzy are done - we'll see if the guys continue as a new band but won't heard anything about it till new year......

Granted over a span of many years one would change what they say in interviews, but the interview I am referring to is only a few months old and it was one that was about the new album and also about Phil.

Gorham was full of how Phil would have wanted this and that and the album was a defo, then a scant few months later and he is coming out with the respect for Phil line as an excuse. I reckon the guy was full of something alright, but respect is not the word that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Gorham was full of how Phil would have wanted this and that and the album was a defo, then a scant few months later and he is coming out with the respect for Phil line as an excuse.

I reckon Online backlash / outrage gave them a bit of cop on

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Any whispers on a new name??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Grid. wrote: »
    Any whispers on a new name??

Knowing Gorram something like 'Think Lizzie' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

sounds like it could be a good old 90s throwback more than anything Lizzy related, Ricky Warwick from the almighty on vox, Damon Johnson from Brother Cane on guitars. I hope Johnson wrote some of the tunes, I haven't heard a bad song by him (bar the BC Christmas Single).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,461 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Out of the 2 different Thin Lizzys without Philo which one do you think was the best. ??

The John Sykes Fronted Lizzy or the 2010 and current version.

From listening to One night only album (Sykes thin lizzy) and from seeing the new version 2 times i can safely say i get more of a Thin lizzy Vibe off the Current Version. I felt the John Sykes version didnt really sound like Thin Lizzy.

I just hope this will be the end of Thin Lizzy (I belive the current line up is the best there going to get to the oringal lynott version) and they dont bring out another version

heading to the Dublin show on Dec 13th (VIP tickets :D:D) and as its the last Irish Thin Lizzy show i would love if a few ex members (Brian Robertson) or some special guests made some apperances but its a bit of Wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

PTH2009 wrote: »
    O

heading to the Dublin show on Dec 13th (VIP tickets :D:D) and as its the last Irish Thin Lizzy show i would love if a few ex members (Brian Robertson) or some special guests made some apperances but its a bit of Wishful thinking.

More chance of seeing Gary Moore at the gig than Robertson.

Robbo will only appear if they play 'Fighting'. ;)

Looks like all the talk about their gig in Dublin this December being their last show as Thin Lizzy was just more BS from them, most likely to sell tickets. They are now confirmed as the opening act (as Thin Lizzy) for a number of dates on Kiss' tour next year

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

There will be no songs written by phil lynott released by scott via a new album .
    The next lizzy release will be a box set of material including some tracks never released officially before.
    And also Deluxe issues of Renegade and Thunder N Lighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Interesting. I'm supposed to see them this week in Middlesbrough so should be good fun.

Advertisement